autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

IronX and Paint Chips?

I used IronX a few months ago on my wheels and it made everything around them turn rust color....the wheel studs, calipers, rotors, hub. Looked REALLY bad and took a lot of work to get them looking decent again. My mistake. I vowed to never use the stuff again. Now I read on these forums that it should be used when detailing the paint. I have a lot of paint chips from years of tracking the car. They're mostly on the hood and many are down to the bare metal. Several have been there for years and show no signs of rust. I'm extremely hesitant to use IronX on the car. Why wouldn't it just turn those metal spots rust color like it did to every metal component around my wheels?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: IronX and Paint Chips?

As I thought. Looks like I won't be using IronX.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sammyzuko View Post
    I used IronX a few months ago on my wheels and it made everything around them turn rust color....the wheel studs, calipers, rotors, hub. Looked REALLY bad and took a lot of work to get them looking decent again. My mistake. I vowed to never use the stuff again. Now I read on these forums that it should be used when detailing the paint. I have a lot of paint chips from years of tracking the car. They're mostly on the hood and many are down to the bare metal. Several have been there for years and show no signs of rust. I'm extremely hesitant to use IronX on the car. Why wouldn't it just turn those metal spots rust color like it did to every metal component around my wheels?
    How can it be down to bare metal and not rust for years? Do you track in a vacuum?

Post Thanks / Like

So you're saying that IronX turned your wheel parts rust color???? And they weren't rust color before?

Perhaps you removed the brake dust with IronX to reveal the already rusted metal underneath

Post Thanks / Like

Ive used iron x on my wheels with no issues. I dont think iron x rusts iron. It might be the residual water left over from the cleaning process causing the rust.

Post Thanks / Like

It did what it was made to do......clean/remove the metallic brake dust accumulation. After it did its thing it left the raw, uncoated parts bare restarting the corrosion process again. It's not from the product but the act of cleaning. This happens with every detailer when hey clean a car. Check out a product called Hydes Serum Ruststopper. It prevents this from occurring.

As far your paint chips, it would be wise to use an iron removal product to clean out the chip and follow up with a paint touch up to seal in the exposed metal.

Metro Detroit's Leader in Vehicle Preservation & Perfect Paint Finishes

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    How can it be down to bare metal and not rust for years? Do you track in a vacuum?
    Looks like areas are down to the bare metal imo and many of the chips have been there for several years. The car is 20yrs old and all I've done is occasionally wash it. Until this summer I'd waxed it maybe twice during it's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    So you're saying that IronX turned your wheel parts rust color???? And they weren't rust color before?

Perhaps you removed the brake dust with IronX to reveal the already rusted metal underneath
    Quote Originally Posted by james751993 View Post
    Ive used iron x on my wheels with no issues. I dont think iron x rusts iron. It might be the residual water left over from the cleaning process causing the rust.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    It did what it was made to do......clean/remove the metallic brake dust accumulation. After it did its thing it left the raw, uncoated parts bare restarting the corrosion process again. It's not from the product but the act of cleaning. This happens with every detailer when hey clean a car. Check out a product called Hydes Serum Ruststopper. It prevents this from occurring.

As far your paint chips, it would be wise to use an iron removal product to clean out the chip and follow up with a paint touch up to seal in the exposed metal.
    This is the reason I don't want to spray it on my paint. The rotor and caliper might have had surface rust hidden by brake dust and I was ok with that. The wheel hub and studs certainly didn't look like that.

When I first used IronX you can see the studs are still black.

I guess for me I don't see the point in using IronX and potentially opening a can of worms. Thanks again for the replies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sammyzuko View Post

Looks like areas are down to the bare metal imo and many of the chips have been there for several years. The car is 20yrs old and all I've done is occasionally wash it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the part in this picture is plastic (i.e. won't rust).

[/QUOTE]

Metro Detroit's Leader in Vehicle Preservation & Perfect Paint Finishes

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by david fermani View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong, but it looks like the part in this picture is plastic (i.e. Won't rust).
    The red nose panel is metal. Here you can see a few chips on the hood also. They don't bother too much since they don't seem to rust. I might take your advise and try testing IronX on one chip followed by Dr Colorchip.