autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pearl White Paint, How Do I See Swirls?

I have a 2013 Infiniti JX35 and will have a 2017 F150 in Oxford white soon! I have been getting everything together to put a paint coating on both vehicles in the near future. I went out the other day to check the paint on the Infiniti and am having a really hard time seeing any amount of scratches. I have looked in the sun, under shop fluorescents, bright LED flash light etc. Any tips? The Infiniti is garage kept, we never have brought it to a car wash. I am trying to figure this out so I can get the right DA pad etc. And tell if I am doing anything while correcting. Maybe I don't need to compound, just a medium cut pad and a polish?

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pearl White Paint, How Do I See Swirls?

Quote Originally Posted by mudhog79 View Post
    I have a 2013 Infiniti JX35 and will have a 2017 F150 in Oxford white soon! I have been getting everything together to put a paint coating on both vehicles in the near future. I went out the other day to check the paint on the Infiniti and am having a really hard time seeing any amount of scratches. I have looked in the sun, under shop fluorescents, bright LED flash light etc. Any tips? The Infiniti is garage kept, we never have brought it to a car wash. I am trying to figure this out so I can get the right DA pad etc. And tell if I am doing anything while correcting. Maybe I don't need to compound, just a medium cut pad and a polish?

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Is this four year old Infiniti a daily driver? If so, you have swirls. When looking for swirls in direct sunlight..sun must be overhead and look on the outsides of the sun light.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Is this four year old Infiniti a daily driver? If so, you have swirls.
    It's not beyond the realm of possibility that the original owner knows how to properly wash & dry his own car... People do exist out there.

Would it make a difference if it were a garage queen? Slim chance considering it'd probably see a California Duster... And we all know how 90% of the people are misinformed about those things... [BTW that was sarcasm]

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Eldorado2k;1509729]It's not beyond the realm of possibility that the original owner knows how to properly wash & dry his own car... People do exist out there.

Perhaps, but that would mean that person would not have to polish, even a light polish for four years or more. BTW I'm not one of the lucky few that can get away without polishing at least once a year.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Rsurfer;1509734]
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    It's not beyond the realm of possibility that the original owner knows how to properly wash & dry his own car... People do exist out there.

Perhaps, but that would mean that person would not have to polish, even a light polish for four years or more. BTW I'm not one of the lucky few that can get away without polishing at least once a year.
    My brother has a black Jeep Grand Cherokee that's about 1.5yrs. old. I detailed it when it was brand new and it's been up to him ever since... I asked him the other day how he maintains it and he said I didn't want to know.. He takes it to his local hand car wash, but to my surprise it's nearly swirl free to this day. Some car washes are stepping their game up. [it's rare, but they do exist]

This is a pic of it when it was new.

Post Thanks / Like

...All that being said, I still think there's maybe a 7% chance this 4yr. old Infinity is swirl free...

Have a better look in direct sunlight. Sometimes it takes a trained eye to be able to see swirls. I sure as heck didn't exactly know how to spot them for almost 20yrs. Lol. [and I had nothing but white cars during that time]

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

Would it make a difference if it were a garage queen? Slim chance considering it'd probably see a California Duster... And we all know how 90% of the people are misinformed about those things... [BTW that was sarcasm]
    Auto geek sells California duster. So it scratches the paint? After all I have read on this forum if you look at your car the wrong way it gets scratched!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Car9 View Post
    Auto geek sells California duster. So it scratches the paint? After all I have read on this forum if you look at your car the wrong way it gets scratched!
    IMO if used correctly it will not scratch paint.

Check this out... A while back when I took Meguiars Detailing 101 Class Jason Rose was the instructor for that day... 1 of the questions he got from 1 of us was "what about those California Dusters, are they good or do they scratch your paint"? His reply? "I use 1" Straight up truth that's what he said. Lol. But he uses it properly, on his garage queen.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a pearl white car as well, and coming from a jet black Mercedes and black magic pearl VW, I love the fact that swirls are harder to spot for a daily driver, or dust and dirt for that matter would drive me nuts! This does make it much harder when doing paint correction though of course.

As Rsurfer mentioned, sun overhead and look just to the outside of light. I've noticed using super bright LEDs or my iPhone light haven't been the best. White is very reflective and shining an extremely bright white light at the paint and looking into it is just painfully blinding.

In saying that using a "warm" colored bulb has helped me to see it, I have an old handheld shop light and my regular garage light are more of a yellowish hue, maybe try that.

Eldorado2k could be right too, slim chance, but maybe you are swirl free!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

After 4 years without a polish it's hard for any car to stay completely swirl free.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast