autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing Spots on Plastic

I am needing some help on removing spots on gloss black plastic. We purchased a new sea doo and had it out on July 4th and during that time someone was applying Off Bug Spray or Spray Sun Tan Lotion and it got on our ski. Now all of our black plastic is spotted and ruined. I tried using some marine products: spot removers and cleaners but no luck. I tried using some rubbing compound on a microfiber rag and it seems to work but is too abrasive and leave scratch marks. Obviously these parts are too small to use any buffing machines so it will have to be done by hand. Any help on what polishing products that would work would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Removing Spots on Plastic-img_0553-jpg   Removing Spots on Plastic-img_0552-jpg   Removing Spots on Plastic-img_0554-jpg   Removing Spots on Plastic-img_0558-jpg  

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing Spots on Plastic

I would try Meguiars 205 fine polish. I routinely use it on plastics to remove scratches and containments. First clean well, maybe even clay bar.

Post Thanks / Like

Flitz works great on plastic. I've used it on black plastic with a PE8 rotary and it came out nice. Go to the AG store and follow 'shop by brand' to Flitz. Go there and check out the video Mike Phillips made with the company rep.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried a product called Novus Plastic Polish ?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had GREAT success with smooth peanut butter and a toothbrush for old dried wax on black plastic. No joke! McKee's wax remover for plastic did nothing while Jif saved the day. Not sure it will take care of your problem but worth a try.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

You didn't mention if you were in salt or fresh water.

Salt water wreaks havoc with plastics if not washed off daily.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Fresh water only, always washed after riding. However these spots were from some kinda spray so it actually etched the plastic..........So last night I started with Meguiars PlastX on a foam pad and that did not go well. Scratched like crazy. I ditched that for some of the new Griots Garage Correcting Cream on a 3M foam pad with drill adapter. This seemed to do the trick after applying moderate pressure to the pad and making 3-4 passes on the plastic. I would say it looks 90% better than it did. The only plastic that would not polish was the clear yellow hood deflector so I will have to order one. I followed it up with WG Ceramic Coating for added protection - hopefully this doesnt happen again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Removing Spots on Plastic-1-jpg   Removing Spots on Plastic-img_0565-jpg   Removing Spots on Plastic-img_0564-jpg   Removing Spots on Plastic-img_0561-jpg