autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brand New car, to use sealant or not sealant

All it takes is that one dealer wash to instill swirls. You may want to consider a light polish.

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend it as others have said as well. Protect the paint as soon as it gets, IMO.

Talking of SWIRLS... To ALL: how to avoid those suckers... how do they appear? I read somewhere it's from water sitting to long on the paint???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowworldz View Post
    Talking of SWIRLS... To ALL: how to avoid those suckers... how do they appear? I read somewhere it's from water sitting to long on the paint???
    Water has nothing to do with instilling swirls. They occur when dust/dirt is wiped/dragged across the paint without sufficient lubrication.

Dirt is far worse than lack of lubrication though.. Because you can actually wipe your paint with a dry microfiber towel as long as your paint is completely clean when you’re doing so i.e. drying the vehicle or wiping off polish, compound, wax, etc. It’s only when dust/dirt comes into play that swirls can be instilled in the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Water has nothing to do with instilling swirls. They occur when dust/dirt is wiped/dragged across the paint without sufficient lubrication.

Dirt is far worse than lack of lubrication though.. Because you can actually wipe your paint with a dry microfiber towel as long as your paint is completely clean when you’re doing so i.e. drying the vehicle or wiping off polish, compound, wax, etc. It’s only when dust/dirt comes into play that swirls can be instilled in the paint.
    What you use to dry/wash the vehicle can have an effect beyond any grit getting rubbed across the paint. If it isn't soft, the simple act of washing and/or drying will cause swirls. For many years I used an Absorber towel for drying my vehicles and was always dismayed by the swirls which would start to form over time. Once I switched to MF towels, it was no longer a problem.

The hardness of the paint can have a big part in the swirls as well. On our Toyota, I once manged to leave some marring with my finger tip when I did a swipe to admire how slick the clean paint felt. On paint that soft almost anything touching the paint has the potential to cause swirls or marring.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    What you use to dry/wash the vehicle can have an effect beyond any grit getting rubbed across the paint. If it isn't soft, the simple act of washing and/or drying will cause swirls. For many years I used an Absorber towel for drying my vehicles and was always dismayed by the swirls which would start to form over time. Once I switched to MF towels, it was no longer a problem.

The hardness of the paint can have a big part in the swirls as well. On our Toyota, I once manged to leave some marring with my finger tip when I did a swipe to admire how slick the clean paint felt. On paint that soft almost anything touching the paint has the potential to cause swirls or marring.
    True, but I’m of the belief that any sort of post wash drying is happening on 100% clean paint. If I go immediately from the sheet rinse to towel drying there shouldn’t be a possibility of dirt while drying the paint.

Dirt on my drying towel only happens in known locations. Windows, window trim, windshield cowl, bumpers, etc. But IMO it shouldn’t be possible for dirt to still be on any painted surface after the wash.

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think your plan is perfect. New cars would benefit the most from a layer of protection. They create a shell and you apply with a pad that has zero cut... so your buddy is confused. Even factory paint jobs aren't perfect though, so maybe you could do an AIO like 360 or hd now and then a good extra seal in the fall?
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

right.. so before I forget..its always sealant than wax. when do I do the polish? still confuses me... (new car here as well). I have some tiny patches (like pinpoint_) drips on my hood which could be tree sap not sure,yeah on a car with 91miles... kinda stange. should I try to clean and then polish those out???

thanx mates.

~~SW~~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowworldz View Post
    right.. so before I forget..its always sealant than wax. when do I do the polish? still confuses me... (new car here as well). I have some tiny patches (like pinpoint_) drips on my hood which could be tree sap not sure,yeah on a car with 91miles... kinda stange. should I try to clean and then polish those out???

thanx mates.

~~SW~~
    To keep it simple stupid, there's sort of 3 or 4 steps after you've washed and clayed.

1. correction (swirls, scratches, halo etc). Generally only needed in spots on newer or well cared for cars.
    2. polish (ligh swirls and scratches) also brings out shine in all vehicles. Generally needed after correction too.
    3. seal or wax (protect all that work you just did. You can use either or here. Today most tend to go with a sealant as it is a longer lasting protection than most waxes)
    4. optional - wax over the top of seal (personal preference. wax can bring more shine and glow to top a sealant. By this time I'm too freaking tired and more than satisfied with the shine i'm getting from a sealant. Not sure if you can seal over a wax, i think that's not as common or recommended. The seal will need something to bond to and your wax will prevent that).

there's also paint cleansing and wipe downs and other things people do. Just the basics above. If your car is in decent shape you can also just do a 1 step All in One (pick your brand). You can still do a 1 step after some spot correction as well.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

I had the dealer polish the hood cause of the (Somewhere I mentioned those spots in this thread). They seem to be gone. so now almost time for the sealant.

Do you guys recommend at all like a Flex to apply a sealant? cause this is usally a tougher job (by hand) than waxing, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I use my DA to apply a sealant. It's a real time saver and I feel the application of product is much more even.

I'll use a soft foam waxing pad and keep the pad speed REALLY slow.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast