autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brand New car, to use sealant or not sealant

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    There's always minor swirls, a lot of it is because the person who sanded and buffed the paint at the factory is on a time constraint. Your car may look fine but assuming that the dealership got their grubby paws on it, it just might all be glazed over.
    Second thing, if body shops knew all about paint care, there wouldn't be people who paid their mortgages by fixing the body shop mistakes.
    Factories use machines to paint cars and body panels get dipped. I don't think anyone from the factory is buffing and wet sanding lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually cars like a lexus gets wet sanded usually three times and buffed before release.

Edit:

You are right though it does depend on the manufacturer.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually cars like a lexus gets wet sanded usually three times and buffed before release.
    Really? That's crazy. VW/Audi has a extremely intensive paint process.

Post Thanks / Like

On the higher end Lexus models, they apply multiple layers of colour coat, clear coat, and tinted clear coat with wetsanding inbetween to create their finish. It's why usually on the higher end lexus models after 2008, you won't see too much orange peel, or a lot lesser than a lot of other manufacturers.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

On the higher end Lexus models, they apply multiple layers of colour coat, clear coat, and tinted clear coat with wetsanding inbetween to create their finish. It's why usually on the higher end lexus models after 2008, you won't see too much orange peel, or a lot lesser than a lot of other manufacturers.
    not questioning you, please don't take it that way...

where does one get this info? i try to google this kind of stuff all the time and can never find it.....hahahahha
    Back to the full-time grind.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    not questioning you, please don't take it that way...

where does one get this info? i try to google this kind of stuff all the time and can never find it.....hahahahha
    It took me about 5 minutes of searching to find out lol. Lexus actually still uses human hands at times to perfect the paint during the manufacturing process. I'm a little surprised because Lexus paint doesn't really pop to my eyes. Not like German paint, and Germans use strictly robotic arms and dipping procedures.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2010/08/...ster-of-paint/

this is is a slightly older article so we can't really say for sure they still do it this way.

Post Thanks / Like

There may be a few minor swirls in the paint. The dealership may have applied a glaze to hide them and may not appear until the next couple of washes (especially if the paint wasnt layered with a wax or sealant).

James

Post Thanks / Like

The only reason I know that is because when I walked into the lexus dealership, I asked for their most knowledgeable sales guy who turned out to be their sales manager and asked him why I should pick up a lexus instead of an infiniti or a bmw, or an audi. The paint is one of the reasons. Lexus paint looks amazing when properly polished, it's got a nice mirror shine from further away and crazy flecks upclose.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JeffsRealm View Post
    Being the paint is brand new there are no swirls or anything.
    You sure about that?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Mike Honcho

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for late reply had to travel for work. was in a 1g area for a long time had internet withdrawls.

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    What color is it?

My buddy just took delivery of a new 2018 Audi A5 Sportback. As you've seen on the highway when they are delivering their cars they have covers on them. His still had light swirls on it. It's dark gray so easier to see. It sill has swirls on it LOL. But that's another story.

A light polish as noted would do wonders to bring out the shine in the paint.
    My truck is Ruby Red, the official color from Ford. It is basically a darker metalic red, in the shade it looks maroon, in the full sun it looks kind of like a candy apple red.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Is this new truck going to live in doors or is it going to be parked outside most of the time?

Half and half, I do a have a garage it will be in however this is typically going to be at night. It is my daily driver and the parking lot at work has no shade so it will be full sun during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by idriveblackcars View Post
    Factories use machines to paint cars and body panels get dipped. I don't think anyone from the factory is buffing and wet sanding lol.
    You are actually very correct. I work for the auto industry. Being I custom ordered my truck and my connections with Ford I got to go to the factory and walk the line and watch my truck being built. F150's are built here in Michigan at the Dearborne plant. When painting trucks or pretty much most cars these days they are dipped into a giant tanked and then rolled over while under the paint to get any air bubbles out. This is the primer paint which is all the same color underneath. The thickness of the paint is controlled by the electrical current flowing through the metal body. Doors, hoods and so on all come in from their own lines painted separately. I do not know though how clear coat is applied, but it is probably sprayed by robots, i didn't get to see that part. I know the primer is dipped. Then there are robots that spray the main colors. However I can also tell you the tailgate, the hood, the doors, are not all painted by the same tanks of paint or robots at the same time. At least not on the bigger trucks. Cars it is possible. I don't know all the lines. so it is possible some car assembly lines are done differently. So it is possible that say doors have different thickness of paint and clear coat than say the hood or the body. Like everything there are tolerances. Just throwing random numbers out there since I do not know for sure. But say paint thickness 4-10 mm as a tolerance. Your body may be 4mm your doors may be 10, your hood may be 5. as long as it meets the specs it is considered good. Not to mention all the little painted pieces and parts like color matched doors handles and so on. We don't do paint in the part of the auto industry I am in, we do heavy metal and steel, structures.

If you have never been to a auto manufacturing plant you should go to one that has tours, it is quite fascinating. It is an orchestrated ballet of assembly. Car doors are assembled in one place, tails gates another, it all starts with the frame of the vehicle which starts upside down. They put on the entire underside of the truck first, shock and brake lines and suspension. Later on it gets to a spot where it gets flipped over. Down comes engines and transmissions and things from overhead. Later comes cabs and so on, interior put in. Later on the doors and stuff that was assembled and put together elsewhere comes in. It always amazes me how they keep everything straight. Cars are assembled in the order the order is received. So you may have a Red XLT crew cab 2 wheel drive followed by a Blue Platinum short cab 4 wheel drive, Followed by a black extended 8 ft bed followed by a king ranch with 2 tone pain and leather interior.

When each car is completed it does go into room with special lighting and the paint is all visually inspected by several trained inspectors. If they see anything out of the ordinary they circle them with something. I am not sure a wax pen or something. When they come out if a car or vehicle has been flagged with a paint issue it then goes off to another area where the pain will get repaired. Mine was not flagged so I know the paint itself was not touched by anyone at the factory. Mine did have something wrong with the instrument cluster so the did pull it off the line and replaced that.

Anyway, I watched the whole truck being assembled up to where they took it out to the lot to await delivery. 1 week later it arrived at the dealer. The dealer did wash it, but I picked it up the next day. So I am pretty sure on it wasn't touched all too much.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast