autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brand New car, to use sealant or not sealant

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Your buddy at the body shop is in the wrong business, he has no idea what he is talking about telling you not to use a sealant. The paint on any new vehicle is fully cured long before it hits the dealers lot. Look inside the driver side door and you'll see when the vehicle was actaully manufactured. You are fine to use a sealant or a coating for that matter.

It never ceases to amaze me over the years how little so many body shops actually no anything about properly polishing paint. They mostly just go at it with a rotary and install holograms etc.

Your plan sounds fine, but if you want a sealant to last through a Michigan winter you'll need to apply it again in late September or October.

In your case I'd skip the wax and hit it with two coats of sealant a day apart.
    Customsporty has it right. No need for wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    Also OP I know you said there no swirls and such in your paint because it's new, but have you truly looked? Also once you clay, you'll mar so you'll want to polish. But yeah all cars even new ones have swirls. I suggest really check. I know you think it's perfect paint, it's just not.
    That's right. As soon as it leaves the factory everyone that touches the car is doing it wrong and adding swirls to the paint. If the dealer washed or "detailed" your car they added a bunch more. You just gotta look under the right lighting and they'll show up. I thought my car was great because I didn't let the dealer wash it but I guess once it came out of the truck and got unwrapped it was washed so under the dirt I found swirls. Not a lot of them but they were there for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all will give it a good polish as well, I have looked in sunlight and didn't see any, but this was just spot checking the fenders and doors. I will do a deeper look and see.

Post Thanks / Like

What color is it?

My buddy just took delivery of a new 2018 Audi A5 Sportback. As you've seen on the highway when they are delivering their cars they have covers on them. His still had light swirls on it. It's dark gray so easier to see. It sill has swirls on it LOL. But that's another story.

A light polish as noted would do wonders to bring out the shine in the paint.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    What color is it?

My buddy just took delivery of a new 2018 Audi A5 Sportback. As you've seen on the highway when they are delivering their cars they have covers on them. His still had light swirls on it. It's dark gray so easier to see. It sill has swirls on it LOL. But that's another story.

A light polish as noted would do wonders to bring out the shine in the paint.
    That's crazy considering Audis come pretty much completely wrapped and stay that way until delivery. Perhaps just having that cover move a little is enough to start adding those damn swirls marks.

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JeffsRealm View Post

So I mentioned this to a friend of mine who works at a body shop, he is not a detailer but a manager. He told me not to use a sealant on brand new paint on a new truck.

Because you would be buffing it and removing some of the clear coat.

Which ok, I understand if I was going to be removing some swirls, but being it is so new there are no swirls or scratches and I really want to seal it and wax it to keep it that way.

So My question is my plan sound? Is it ok to go ahead and use sealant on a brand new car? Or should I do something else?

I'm sure your friend means well and there are some sealants that have abrasives, but as long as you use a non-cleaning or non-abrading sealant there will be no paint removed.

Just real quick,

There are cleaner/waxes and non-cleaning waxes. These are two very traditional categories of "waxes".

Then sometime after "car waxes" were invented science stepped in and made car protection pastes and liquids in the laboratory, that didn't not use any traditional natural wax ingredients like Carnauba that we generically call

synthetic paint sealants

In the synthetic paint sealant category there are,

cleaner/synthetic paint sealants and non-cleaning synthetic paint sealants.

See how there are simply type products in the two different categories?

I'm sure your buddy meant well as he was trying to protect you from making a mistake but as long as you stick with a non-cleaning synthetic paint sealant you won't remove any paint. And that's important and here's an article that shows why...

Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Is this new truck going to live in doors or is it going to be parked outside most of the time?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

My current car I had ordered from the manufacturer. It was built on 04/14/2014 and in my possession by the end of May.

I know nobody worries about new cars and paint but still mine was prettt fresh. I still treated the paint like it was a regular car though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    That's crazy considering Audis come pretty much completely wrapped and stay that way until delivery. Perhaps just having that cover move a little is enough to start adding those damn swirls marks.
    Yeah, I thougt so too and it's a brand new model 4 door version of the A5/S5.
    A5 Sportback, it had just arrived. They may have done it during the delivery detail prep stage.

sweet ride:

https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-a5-sportback
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

There's always minor swirls, a lot of it is because the person who sanded and buffed the paint at the factory is on a time constraint. Your car may look fine but assuming that the dealership got their grubby paws on it, it just might all be glazed over.
    Second thing, if body shops knew all about paint care, there wouldn't be people who paid their mortgages by fixing the body shop mistakes.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast