autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, seems like i have a issue here

So I posted on a thread on 6-30-2017, that I did my trunk lid with HD Speed & proxy, yeah that puppy looked great I might add........since then I wanted to do the rest of the car but the humidly has been bad lately so I thought I would wait awhile.

So today I figure I would "Clayzilla" the rest of the car, so I do a baggie test on the trunk lid I just did a few days before, and it felt the same as my 2010 car that never has even been buffed yet...........not good seeing the 2010 is my everyday driver, winter and summer and it has never been touched except the cheapy detail spray, and I do mean cheapy spray.

Just wondering if I did something wrong, ive only driven the other car 100 miles since this speed & proxy deal, its not like I live near some nuclear plant...........just hard to believe 10 days later the paint felt the same as a car that was 7 yrs old, and never really washed all that much in the first place.

I redid the whole car again today with the "Clayzilla" pad, and put a cover on it, so I'm gonna do the HD Speed & Proxy this week sometime..................was wondering should I try something different, or maybe something just got on the trunk lid that I didn"t know about.....................not bad mouthing the HD products at all, but something happened in those 10 days.

Thanks

Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Re: OK, seems like i have a issue here

The products or brand of products have nothing to do with contamination.

I also wouldn't let the baggie test drive you crazy. How does the vehicle look.

My GC is flawless but when I put a baggie to it there are still little bumps etc but they aren't anything you can see with the human eye and the paint feels like glass with your hand.

Don't sweat the small stuff
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    The products or brand of products have nothing to do with contamination.

I also wouldn't let the baggie test drive you crazy. How does the vehicle look.

My GC is flawless but when I put a baggie to it there are still little bumps etc but they aren't anything you can see with the human eye and the paint feels like glass with your hand.

Don't sweat the small stuff
    Hey Custm, I hear ya brother....the car looks great, better than ever, think I'm just gonna stop doing the baggie test.........in fact I'm gonna hit the other car with the HD speed & proxy this week sometime, its gonna look great seeing its only had cheapy detail spray all its life. LOL

I ordered some new stuff from ag..............seeing the Wal-Mart stuff might not be all that good. LOL

Thanks again

Rich

I would add a pic, but I can"t be responsible for your eye loss due to the shine of the paint. LOL

Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I had a very similar experience when I used Meguiars Black Wax as a stand alone lsp on my daily driver. I went through the whole process iron decon/clay/machine applied AIO and just 17 days later my paint felt like sandpaper... Needless to say I haven't used that AIO or any other AIO on my personal vehicles since. IME they're weak on protection and I won't settle for that.

IMO if the paint fails the baggie test within that short amount of time it's a big deal. Inferior protection from an AIO no matter how you top it [because the whole idea of topping is flawed to begin with]

Just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Richs66 View Post
    Hey Custm, I hear ya brother....the car looks great, better than ever, think I'm just gonna stop doing the baggie test.........in fact I'm gonna hit the other car with the HD speed & proxy this week sometime, its gonna look great seeing its only had cheapy detail spray all its life. LOL

I ordered some new stuff from ag..............seeing the Wal-Mart stuff might not be all that good. LOL

Thanks again

Rich

I would add a pic, but I can"t be responsible for your eye loss due to the shine of the paint. LOL

Rich
    Chasing prefection will drive you crazy..............

There is definitely a point of diminishing returns in this whole obession we call detailing.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

OK, seems like i have a issue here

In this world of detailing, there's people who have to clay every other month, and people who haven't had to clay in over a year...

Fact is that any quik detailer/rinseless wash/waterless wash glides smoother over smooth paint, which results in less friction and in the end a minimal amount of swirls inflicted into the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Chasing prefection will drive you crazy..............

There is definitely a point of diminishing returns in this whole obession we call detailing.
    Could not agree more. I'm PROUD to be a "90 %er". Looks good to me, compliments from others, sufficiently protected. Done.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

As usual you guys are right, and great advice, I'm gonna be a "91 %er", just to out-do Paul. LOL

Usually I'm not this anal with the cars...........I think its this site that has changed me. LOL

Rich

Post Thanks / Like

...I'm living on SS & my looks,
    Usually I'm not this anal with the cars...
    Things don't always have
    to be perfect to be purty...

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti