autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Topping an all in one with a second product...?

Good morning guys, new member, moderately longtime lurker. Recently jump started some life into a new detail business. Trying to work 60 hours a week to avoid working 40... I'm doing jobs here and there as I get setup, refine the packages I have available, get insurance setup, etc etc..

I'm struggling a bit with my production detail package(as Mr Phillips likes to call it)... Chosen product is HD Speed, and I'm struggling with whether or not including an application on top of it for some extra protection(IE, HD Poxy) is a wise decision... Obviously there is a time element to it which changes the price.. Is it necessary? Does the production detail client even care(I think I may know the answer)? Trying to find the balance between the production detail price/profit, giving the car adequate protection even if shorter term, and what the customer will want/care about here. I'm really trying to limit myself to how many packages and a la carte items I'm offering, as I prefer a more simple, streamlined menu.

Thank you in advance for the help

Edit - apologies if this needs to be in the business section of the forum. The coffee hasn't finished brewing this morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Topping an all in one with a second product...?

With HD Speed, great results come from topping it with Poxy as you mentioned (made by 3D as well). Other than that if someone likes a different sealant or coating, I strip the wax from Speed off prior to application. Others may have had experience with other LSP's on top of Speed.

In my experience with Speed, time is important. The proof is the length of beading properties of Speed when I have let it sit longer on the car. What I do is get my test spot done. Once I have my testing complete, finish the entire car without wiping the HD Speed off. Then begin wiping where I started application...this typically gives me 30 minutes to an hour of letting Speed sit on the paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If you are in more of a production detailing scenario where you are pressed more for time I would apply a spray wax for an extra boost of protection and focus your efforts on other areas of the vehicle such as the door jambs, wheel wells, exhaust tip etc to finish up in a timely manner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adamgayton81 View Post
    With HD Speed, great results come from topping it with Poxy as you mentioned (made by 3D as well). Other than that if someone likes a different sealant or coating, I strip the wax from Speed off prior to application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can you tell us how you strip the wax from Speed off prior to application?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    2018 Ford F150 - Ruby Red Metallic
    2019 Honda Odyssey - Obsidian Blue

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fiveoboy01 View Post

Good morning guys, new member, moderately longtime lurker.

Recently jump started some life into a new detail business. Trying to work 60 hours a week to avoid working 40... I'm doing jobs here and there as I get setup, refine the packages I have available, get insurance setup, etc etc..
    Since this is your first post,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

I'm struggling a bit with my production detail package (as Mr Phillips likes to call it)...

Chosen product is HD Speed, and I'm struggling with whether or not including an application on top of it for some extra protection (IE, HD Poxy) is a wise decision...
    It's a great practice that can make the results of your work last longer.

Even if you only do it to the horizontal surfaces which take the brunt of abuse and wear-n-tear from use and the world we live in.

It's also called,

Under promise and over deliver - a concept and a practice I teach in all my detailing classes.

Obviously there is a time element to it which changes the price.. Is it necessary?
    It's not necessary and if you choose to do it then only hit the horizontal surfaces and this will reduce time to minutes.

The key is to find a compatible product to use over the 3D HD Speed for the term I coined,

Synergistic Chemical Compatibility

In most cases, a NON-cleaning wax or sealant from the same chemist/company will do the trick.

Does the production detail client even care(I think I may know the answer)?
    The production client won't know or notice unless you point it out via educate them.

Trying to find the balance between the production detail price/profit, giving the car adequate protection even if shorter term, and what the customer will want/care about here.

I'm really trying to limit myself to how many packages and a la carte items I'm offering, as I prefer a more simple, streamlined menu.

Thank you in advance for the help
    I'm impressed.

You've really been doing your homework.

Finding balance is vital and doing exceptional work is what separates you from your competition.

I'd recommend that if you decide to run an orbital polisher over the hood and trunk, (maybe skip the roof if it's taller than you can reach without getting on a platform), using 3D HD Poxy, then don't tell the customer until they return to pick up their car.

Then explain what you did and why you did it and this will impress most people with functioning brain cells as well as separate you form the competition.

The fact that you joined this forum and made this post has already separated you from the competition.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by adamgayton81 View Post

Other than that if someone likes a different sealant or coating, I strip the wax from Speed off prior to application.

Kind of makes sense.... this would no longer being doing a one-step to a car but a two-step.

I'm thinking if someone wants a dedicated application of a dedicated LSP then I wouldn't start with Speed but instead use a compound or polish.

That or I would simply apply the dedicated LSP over the Speed. The only reason this wouldn't work is if the person wanted a ceramic coating but if that was the case then I certainly wouldn't use a cleaner/wax for the prep work.

Post Thanks / Like

Customer's budget and your time is the challenge to get dialed in. You're are on the right track with your thinking.

Also getting car prepped for polishing takes an hour and half or so. (wash, decon, wheels, dry etc.) Which adds to overall cost.

HD speed is a true one step. Don't need to add wax. Just add extra wax to your a al carte list.

See link for good overall primer re one step by Joe.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...fficiency.html

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth, I have topped HD speed with Poxy before and after 2 months on a well kept daily driver the protection was all but gone. Was less than impressed with the potentially added benefit of tipping speed with poxy

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the replies.

I've owned and operated a landscape maintenance company for over a decade... ergo, I have some business experience. I've made plenty of mistakes, and won't repeat them here. I love working on cars, but I'm also not doing it for charity.

A spray wax didn't cross my mind but that piques my interest. Would be fast and easy which is the name of the game.

As well I like the idea of not officially listing it and just doing horizontal surfaces. Tell the customer "I did extra for you, for the same price"... I love(most) customers, but like to make them feel loved, as well.

A full wash and decon was mentioned, and this is part of the production detail pricing. Also struggling a bit with whether or not to do a 2 step decon(iron remover and clay) or just one(clay only)... Again, time = price increase. Gotta be careful with that, lol.

I could do it a la carte but again in trying to keep the menu simple, it makes it easier for me, and the customer. My experience also tells me that the more a la carte items I have, the more likely I am to get into a "nit pick" situation where the customer is creating the package, not me.

PS - Mike, I have read your book, and found it educational. Thanks for writing it (double edit - one of them, anyways)

Post Thanks / Like

Another good read...By Mike---

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-squirrel.html

Dich the a la carte and just have packages instead. Just offer specific suggestions in addition to your packages based on what customer is looking for.

Like Mike said---Here's the 4 things most people want,

1. Shiny Paint
    2. Clear Glass
    3. Black Tires
    4. Fresh Clean Interior

Tom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast