autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need advice: First detail of Toyota single stage paint

Hi, new to this. I just purchased a 2017 super white toyota. I know it is single stage paint. What is the best approach, products, application, etc.? I've been reading on how to remove oxidation, but haven't come across a thread on what's best for a new car.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advice: First detail of Toyota single stage paint

I'm pretty sure in 2016 model years Toyota stopped using single stage paint in USA. I like megs 151 for Toyota super white single stage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STPETEDALE View Post
    I'm pretty sure in 2016 model years Toyota stopped using single stage paint in USA. I like megs 151 for Toyota super white single stage.
    What's your source of information?

Post Thanks / Like

Just keep wax or sealant on it.It turns to crap if you don't put any effort to take care of it. I say wax it every 2 months.Use a low ph carwash soap.

Post Thanks / Like

^^ ditto. There are so many amazing products out there now. Any wax or sealant AG sells would suffice. From your initial question, it's difficult to ascertain your level of interest in detailing. There are 1001 ways you could go. Are you using a machine? Are you a once a year "waxer" or a monthly detailer with weekly washes? Do you want to polish? Do you want an all in one or a stand alone wax or sealant?

A generic answer for you...
    Pick up the Mothers Speed Clay 2.0 (I'm sure your new car could use a good "clay" session)
    A microfiber wash mitt
    A "wax-free" soap
    A bottle of McKee's Fast Wax
    A bottle of McKee's HiDef Paint Sealant (or McKee's 360?)
    Some foam applicator pads
    Some Gold Plush Jr. microfiber towels
    A nice drying towel

Again, an infinite number of directions you can go. What are your goals? Do you have a DA polisher? How much time do you want to spend? Ask the right questions (specific ones) and the responses will follow. Lots of people here willing and happy to help out.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ja1970 View Post

Hi, new to this. I just purchased a 2017 super white toyota. I know it is single stage paint.

What is the best approach, products, application, etc.?

I've been reading on how to remove oxidation, but haven't come across a thread on what's best for a new car.

Three questions and I'll do my best to help you...

Is this a daily driver?

Is it always parked outside or at least part of each day is it parked in a garage?

What is the condition of the paint right now?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the lack of details. I have a Griots 6" and 3" ROP that I've been using about 4 years. The only products I have used are Griots. I wash once a week and detail once a month(if time allows). I enjoy Detailing, but I am concerned this super white paint could become a chore. I am leaning towards claying, sealant, then wax. I would like some opinions/experiences on the different products out there. There are so many to choose from. Its a Toyota Seinna, so there is a lot of surface to cover. Not saying it will oxidize, but from what I've read some do. So having said that, I'm looking for opinions, suggestions, experiences, etc.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a daily driver
    It is parked under a carport all day
    It is a new car. Paint looks great(like a new car). needs claying.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I too, have a 2017 Super White Sienna.
    At first, thought it was single stage as well. However, after getting into an accident, and speaking with the body shop, can confirm the paint is Base/Clear. Toyota changed over to Base/Clear around 2015, due to oxidation complaints.
    The Super White, is technically now "Super White 2", or "Super White II". Paint code should be 040.

Nothing special that's needed for this paint, in terms of maintenance. I put on a coat of Optimum Gloss Coat (before the accident), and have subsequently maintained the freshly painted panels with Finish Kare 1000P sealant.
    You can likely get away with whatever Griot's products you have, and have been using.
    Perhaps wash it, clay it, and put on a coat of your preferred wax/sealant, and call it a day. Maintain with regular washes and some spray wax.

Defects don't easily show up on this super bright white paint, by the way. Bonus. Mine is swirled in places, and I don't even care...it's SO difficult to see.

Hope this helps.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ja1970 View Post

It is a daily driver
    It is parked under a carport all day
    It is a new car. Paint looks great(like a new car). needs claying.

Two approaches,

1: KISS or Keep it Simple Simon.

Since it's a daily driver, parked outside but covered, find, like and use a good one-step cleaner/wax. The cleaner wax can be machine applied and you can do the entire van in one step. This will save you lots of time and keep your van looking new. This is what I do to my own truck and I can machine wax my truck and wipe off in under an hour. (easy)

Take a look at the Griot's cleaner/wax or 3D HD Speed.

2: Apply a ceramic paint coating and then wash often but wash carefully.

The easiest to use paint coating I know of is the McKee's Paint Coating. Easy to use, easily lasts for a year. Can be used on single stage urethane paints, which is what you have if you do in fact have a single stage paint.

If it were me and machine waxing is something you can and are willing to do 2-3 times a year then I'd go for option 1.

If you want to set-it and forget it, then go for option 2.

I have articles on both options, let me know which one you're interested in and I'll cyber-dig them up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast