autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Using a polish on ceramic coating?

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure exactly what it was, but there was a mild stain on the roof of my car. Car was coated about 7 months ago. I tried using Essence Plus to get the stain off since I know it's safe on coating, but didn't do the trick. Eventually used a little bit Meguiars M205 applied by hand and got the stain off. Realized after the fact that might not have been safe for coating, but stain was really bothering me, and I didn't want it to just keep sitting there.

Anyone know whether using a mild abrasive like M205 by hand would strip the coating? I know with a machine it would, but wasn't sure whether by hand cause a problem.

Thanks!

HAMBO

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using a polish on ceramic coating?

I would say it depends on how deep you went. Clean and use ipa or eraser and check the hydrophobic properties. That will give you a better idea. Other wise you could just keep some protection on the area until your ready to reapply.

Post Thanks / Like

If it took the stain out, it more than likely removed some if not all of the coating. Recoat to be safe. What coating was it?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Silly, I probably should have checked first. Didn't realize coatings came off so easily. I believe it was nano skin mega trend inorganic coating.

It was just a small spot, and in an area that is barely visible (I happened to have been cleaning the roof) so I'll probably just put some additional protection on it and leave it be.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd polish the panel and recoat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HAMBO View Post
    Thanks. Silly, I probably should have checked first. Didn't realize coatings came off so easily. I believe it was nano skin mega trend inorganic coating.
    I suppose "easily" is all relative....

Polish, after all, is an abrasive substance that's sole purpose is to remove paint... or any material it is rubbed against.

Nano coatings are advertised as being around 1 micron in total film thickness. If you do a bit of research you might get a better understanding for how insanely thin 1 micron truly is.

The truth is that there is no way to know if you removed all of the coating. The only thing you can be sure of is that since you used an abrasive (albeit a relatively gentle one), you have removed at least some of the coating. For this reason it is not a bad idea to reapply a fresh layer of coating to the small area you had polished to ensure you have full protection.

Retired Professional Detailer

Mike Phillips

I recently used the hood of our Mercedes-Benz for a in-house video. Demonstrated something on the hood? Forget what but Yancy is doing a lot of editing so it will show up sooner or later.

After capturing the video footage, since I had just removed a portion of coating to one small area of the hood, instead of wondering or worrying about if there was coating present or no coating present, or partial coating present I simply buzzed over the entire hood with a medium cut polish and the chemically stripped the paint and then re-applied the coating.

Less than 30 minutes. Maybe less than 20 minutes.

Moved on to something else....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Sounds like best thing to do is reapply.

Couple of basic questions:

Do I need to apply same brand of coating? Or would a different brand matter. Wondering whether there would be some kind of contrast between the new coating and old (though I'm guessing age of the coating I had applied last time versus newer probably will have a bigger distinction than brand). Can anyone recommend a product or kit with the basics I would need for a touch up like this? Was wondering whether either of these would be right amount or overkill:

Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating

CarPro Ceramic Paint Protection Kit, Cquartz kit

Secondly, my car is parked outside, and I don't really have good access to a shady place to work on it. Obviously applying coating (like anything) in direct sunlight should be avoided, but is it ok to apply coating working outside at a time of day when the sun isn't so bright?

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Coating outside is a little tricky. Try to time you coating when the sun is not shining on the pannel you want to coat. Also make sure the pannel is not hot. Otherwise the coating will flash too fast and you will likelly have streaks or other issues.

I would use the same coating so no difference wll be visible in the way the surface looks. But bufffing the whole pannel and re-doing the coating on the pannel might be the best way to go about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HAMBO View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm not sure exactly what it was, but there was a mild stain on the roof of my car. Car was coated about 7 months ago. I tried using Essence Plus to get the stain off since I know it's safe on coating, but didn't do the trick. Eventually used a little bit Meguiars M205 applied by hand and got the stain off. Realized after the fact that might not have been safe for coating, but stain was really bothering me, and I didn't want it to just keep sitting there.

Anyone know whether using a mild abrasive like M205 by hand would strip the coating? I know with a machine it would, but wasn't sure whether by hand cause a problem.

Thanks!

HAMBO
    I occurred a couple high spots which were easily removed via wolfgang finishing glaze with my fingers wiped with mf, eraser wiped then reloaded. Didn't bother recoating. Like people said you never know if you removed it but while your working it with your fingers with light pressure you can see the highspot disappearing so you can control how much you remove and stop when the high spot is gone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast