autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rubber Trim discoloration/ Spot removal Help!

Needs some help I’ve got a 2016 VW Golf R with rubber doorseal trim that driving me nuts? For whatever reasons the trim pieces have somesort of stains or marks that I’ve tried to correct with multiple trim restoreproducts. In my latest attempt I triedSolution Finish which ended up failing to fix the issue. I followed thedirections prepped the area applied several applications of Solutions Finish allowingfor proper curing time. After which Solution Finish looked fantastic, however after maintenance wash a week later I noticed the stains/discoloration is showingthrough again. Does anyone have any ideas and what I can do to get rid of thesemarks .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rubber Trim discoloration/ Spot removal  Help!-img_2766-jpg   Rubber Trim discoloration/ Spot removal  Help!-img_2767-jpg   Rubber Trim discoloration/ Spot removal  Help!-img_2761-jpg   Rubber Trim discoloration/ Spot removal  Help!-img_2760-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rubber Trim discoloration/ Spot removal Help!

After putting Solution Finish on it, it might be locked in now. But... If you haven't tried it yet, get a foam scrubbing pad (Sonax has one called the dirt eraser, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, Chinese knockoffs) and use it with a rubber cleaner (Mother's Back to Black Trim Cleaner is what I used). This worked really well. Nothing I've tried comes close.

Post Thanks / Like

Solution Finish is for plastics and vinyl and not rubber.
    ducksfan suggestion sounds good, give that a try.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd clean it as well as you possibly can and then seal with WG Exterior Trim Sealant ("WETS" on the forum).

Post Thanks / Like

If you've already tried cleaning the rubber with a soft boars hair brush (like the famous detailing brush) and a mild APC I'd use either Hyper Polish, Poli-seal, or HD Polish+ and a soft foam pad to gently polish the the rubber. I usually don't have to use a magic eraser but they are always good to have on hand as a last ditch option. I find that the nano abrasives in the polishes I mentioned bring back an EVEN satin appearance to the rubber by very lightly abrading it.

I'll then prep the rubber with diluted IPA and apply WETS

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to try this. I don't know if it will change the color of the spots.

303 Rubber Seal Protectant
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Solution Finish is for plastics and vinyl and not rubber.
    ducksfan suggestion sounds good, give that a try.

From Solution Finish Site
    Will Solution Finish work on all rubber, vinyl and plastic?
    With over 50,000 combinations of rubber, vinyl and plastic combinations it's impossible to know if Solution Finish will work on everything. However, in our experience, Solution Finish has worked extremely well on all vehicles and parts tested. We believe it would be very difficult to find a situation where Solution Finish will not exceed your expectations.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for you suggestions. I had tired prepping the area with a rubber cleaner and IPA mixture but I never thought about scrubbing the area with Magic Eraser but I will certainly give it a try. I'm a little hesitant polishing rubber with any sort of abrasive but will cautiously give it a go. I'm surprised I didn't think to add a rubber seal protectant the first during the first attempt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Noob1 View Post
    From Solution Finish Site
    Will Solution Finish work on all rubber, vinyl and plastic?
    With over 50,000 combinations of rubber, vinyl and plastic combinations it's impossible to know if Solution Finish will work on everything. However, in our experience, Solution Finish has worked extremely well on all vehicles and parts tested. We believe it would be very difficult to find a situation where Solution Finish will not exceed your expectations.
    The directions say to use on plastic and vinyl, no mention of rubber. If it worked on rubber, you would think the directions would say so.

Post Thanks / Like

Same issue on my alltrack. Let me know what you end up doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast