autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Using microfiber cutting pads on a Rupes Bigfoot 21

I am curious,

do any of you guys use Microfiber pads on any long throw DA like the Rupes Bigfoot or the Boss 21?

I would like to improve my cutting ability to remove scratches with compounds and I am thinking that this combo might work well.

I am not sure how microfiber pads would react to the long throw action.

If you are using it with Rupes, what brand and model of pads are you using? I have had issues in the past where the interface material of B&S pads wasn't compatible with the Bigfoot's backplate and pads went flying off
    when I pulled the machine from the surface. So obviously I would like to avoid that

Also, what compound have you had success with? I read in a thread earlier that the D300 system by Meguiar's was a great product even when used with other machines and pads than what it was designed for. Currently the two compounds in my arsenal are M105 and Ultimate Compound. So is there anything better for the combo I am planning to use?

The other option would be to go to a rotary, which I own... but I am really not comfortable using that machine, I am always scared of burning the paint or going through the clearcoat since just about every vehicle I work on has super thin paint in the range of 80 to 120 microns. I dream of the day a client will want me to fix his paint and the gauge will show me 300 microns LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using microfiber cutting pads on a Rupes Bigfoot 21

I use MF pads on my MKII 15 and GG 21 all the time. The GG Boss MF pads are great paired with GG Fast Correcting Cream. With my MKII I usually use Megs DMC MF pads with Menz FG400 but have also used the GG MF pads with good success also. I don't use M105 or UC so I can't comment on those compounds.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used a Megs microfiber cutting pad with Menzerna FG400 on my rupes 21 using speed 4/4.5 and it works amazingly for defect removal and finishes good enough for 80% of people. Keep in mind that combo is really agressive and can burn/cut through clear coat pretty damn quickly.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

MF pads are design for machine whit long throws.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of my experience with microfiber pads, is with the blue and yellow Rupes variety. They work great with Zephir, and Keramik, which they were designed to be used with. I've used the blue with M105, M100, FG400, and ultimate compound, all of which performed well. Ultimate Compound was really nice on those pads for some reason.

I've used the yellow microfiber pad with M205, and Ultimate Polish. Again, they were outstanding.

Over all I think I prefer M100/M205, or Ultimate Compound/Ultimate Polish over anything else available on those pads with any tool available.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Looks like Meguiar's pads are what I am looking for. Hope they have a 5.5 inch size available, I switched the backing plate on my Bigfoot 21 to 5 inch when I purchased it.

Might have to give Menzerna a try at some point, but for now I think I will try Meg's D300.

Thanks for the warning, I will keep an eye on paint thickness the first few times I use it to see how quickly it reduces clearcoat. Right now with a lake country foam cutting pad and Meg's 105 I barelly remove a micron or two on a standard 5-6 pass step.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Most of my experience with microfiber pads, is with the blue and yellow Rupes variety. They work great with Zephir, and Keramik, which they were designed to be used with. I've used the blue with M105, M100, FG400, and ultimate compound, all of which performed well. Ultimate Compound was really nice on those pads for some reason.

I've used the yellow microfiber pad with M205, and Ultimate Polish. Again, they were outstanding.

Over all I think I prefer M100/M205, or Ultimate Compound/Ultimate Polish over anything else available on those pads with any tool available.
    M100/M205 is where it's at. Love using M100 with microfiber cutting pads on my 15 mkII. My favorite microfiber cutting pads are Meguiars though. They hold up the longest in my experience. I even use an exact fit custom backing plate with the Rupes for better cutting ability.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Thanks guys. Looks like Meguiar's pads are what I am looking for. Hope they have a 5.5 inch size available, I switched the backing plate on my Bigfoot 21 to 5 inch when I purchased it.

Might have to give Menzerna a try at some point, but for now I think I will try Meg's D300.

Thanks for the warning, I will keep an eye on paint thickness the first few times I use it to see how quickly it reduces clearcoat. Right now with a lake country foam cutting pad and Meg's 105 I barelly remove a micron or two on a standard 5-6 pass step.
    The Meguiar's da microfiber correction system is very tough to beat, especially the D300/DMC5 compounding element.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idriveblackcars View Post
    M100/M205 is where it's at. Love using M100 with microfiber cutting pads on my 15 mkII. My favorite microfiber cutting pads are Meguiars though. They hold up the longest in my experience. I even use an exact fit custom backing plate with the Rupes for better cutting ability.
    I have a ton of the Rupes pads, but have found the Meg's pads to be very well constructed, and when handling, they just feel like quality. Even their foam pads share that characteristic.

The Meguiars are the industry standard, and they'll be hard to knock off that spot.

Post Thanks / Like

I use LC MF Cutting pads on my 21 with great results, I've been leaning on the Boss Creams alot lately....but have used Megs MF pads with FG400/MC2500 with no issues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast