autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolgang sealant on perfect paint. Should I use polish enhancer and top with wax?

I saw a test a while back from a guy who put something like 40 waxes and sealants on an rv that got heavy use. 4 months later, there were only a few left standing and wolfgang sealant was one of them.

One of the others was zaino and I had a bad experience with that about a decade ago - my car got some normal water on it under normal conditions and it got water spots so deep that it never really looked right again even after machine polishing - I sold the car a year later. Can't know for sure it was the zaino, but I've never experienced anything like that in 25 years, 43 cars, and probably a million+ miles so am not taking that chance. --- Soo.... Wolfgang it is.

Car is 3 years old, but paint is perfect dark grey metallic BMW paint. No swirls.

Obviously, I will wash and clay bar first.

My question now is how I should best go about this.

1) I bought the wolfgang polish enhancer

• Do I need to use this?
    • It sounds like it's not going to cause any damage, but would it wear at the clear coat at all?

2) While the main purpose of doing this is to protect the paint (I drive a lot in southern california and the car is parked in the sun while I'm at work), after going through all this effort I'd like for it to look amazing also.

• Wolfgang is supposed to have a very carnuabay (sp?) look for a sealant, will an additional wax on top really make much difference to the appearance?
    • The only wax I've ever used that I felt really made the paint look different from any other wax was zymol carbon. There are plenty I have not used though and the shine doesn't last all that long with Zymol, so I'm curious other suggestions for this specific application? What waxes have you guys put on top of grey metallic / wolfgang sealant and had great long lasting deep shine results?

3) If the sealant far outlasts the wax and I want to reapply wax for the shine, would I potentially do damage to the paint by not starting back from clay bar or will the sealant totally shrug off contaminants?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolgang sealant on perfect paint. Should I use polish enhancer and top with wax?

•IMO:

-There's no need to use any of the
    Polish Enhancer if the paint is perfect.
    What's it going to enhance?

-I'd apply a second coat of the
    same Sealant (instead of a Wax).

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolgang sealant on perfect paint. Should I use polish enhancer and top with wax?

Thanks Bob

The polish enhancer is described as a kind of cleaner/prep for the sealant as well as enhancing the appearance. I want to be sure the sealant has a clean surface to adhere to properly, but maybe the clay bar handles that sufficiently?

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •IMO:

-There's no need to use any of the
    Polish Enhancer if the paint is perfect.
    What's it going to enhance?

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DavidM235ily View Post
    The polish enhancer is described as a
    kind of cleaner/prep for the sealant as
    well as enhancing the appearance.

I want to be sure the sealant has a clean
    surface to adhere to properly, but maybe
    the clay bar handles that sufficiently?
    •Claying can introduce some
    "imperfections" to the paint.

-Break out the inspection light(s):
    the Polish Enhancer could now be
    a necessity to, once again, have
    perfect paint.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

A wise man once said if you clay, be prepared to machine polish.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the clay you might cause some marring on the paint and then will need polish. I've never used clay and not polished afterwards. The paint enhancer is probably just a cleaner wax so it will not cut, just remove light oxidation and previously applied products. Others will chime in but I think if you're going to seal, you have to make sure the paint is 100% good.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, #1 is decided.

I've determined from your feedback and this article I was reading on autopia that I will use the polish enhancer.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidM235ily View Post
    I saw a test a while back from a guy who put something like 40 waxes and sealants on an rv that got heavy use. 4 months later, there were only a few left standing and wolfgang sealant was one of them.

One of the others was zaino and I had a bad experience with that about a decade ago - my car got some normal water on it under normal conditions and it got water spots so deep that it never really looked right again even after machine polishing - I sold the car a year later. Can't know for sure it was the zaino, but I've never experienced anything like that in 25 years, 43 cars, and probably a million+ miles so am not taking that chance. --- Soo.... Wolfgang it is.

Car is 3 years old, but paint is perfect dark grey metallic BMW paint. No swirls.

Obviously, I will wash and clay bar first.

My question now is how I should best go about this.

1) I bought the wolfgang polish enhancer

• Do I need to use this?
    • It sounds like it's not going to cause any damage, but would it wear at the clear coat at all?

2) While the main purpose of doing this is to protect the paint (I drive a lot in southern california and the car is parked in the sun while I'm at work), after going through all this effort I'd like for it to look amazing also.

• Wolfgang is supposed to have a very carnuabay (sp?) look for a sealant, will an additional wax on top really make much difference to the appearance?
    • The only wax I've ever used that I felt really made the paint look different from any other wax was zymol carbon. There are plenty I have not used though and the shine doesn't last all that long with Zymol, so I'm curious other suggestions for this specific application? What waxes have you guys put on top of grey metallic / wolfgang sealant and had great long lasting deep shine results?

3) If the sealant far outlasts the wax and I want to reapply wax for the shine, would I potentially do damage to the paint by not starting back from clay bar or will the sealant totally shrug off contaminants?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Bob, apply a 2nd coat of sealant and let it go at that. It should withstand the sun better than a wax.

Post Thanks / Like

I want to know how you got "perfect" paint on a 3 years old car?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I want to know how you got "perfect" paint on a 3 years old car?
    Uhhh, maybe very little driving and 24x7 time in the temperature-controlled garage?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast