autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opti-Coat Pro Applied - Have Questions/Need Help

Wow. I'm soo under charging my menu here in the Bay Area

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

No, you're not being too picky. For a grand---I would at least expect 80 - 90% correction. The fact you can see the swirls and you are not "feeling good" is an enough of an indicator of work not up to basic standards. If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't right.

Removing swirls from paint happens before a coating goes on. For a redo---he will need to remove and re-polish the paint. Then do a re-coat.

If the problem persist, contact the optimum folks.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Very strange to me.

First off there is no removing swirls from the coating. The coating is about 1 or 2 microns thick, so any polishing done to it will remove it.

I find it strange that opti-coat pro is scratching so easilly. One of the reason you are paying a premium is for chemical and scratch protection. It's not undestructible, but a light buff with quick detailer and a good quality microfiber should not damage it. All of this is very bizzare.

As for the swirls under the coating, have you talked to the installer before the work was done? He should have explained to you what he was going to do and what results you could expect. If he did not charge you for full paint correction and only did a polishing of the paint, he should have mentioned some scratches and swirls could remain after the preparation of the paint. We did not see how the car looked beforehand so it's very hard to comment. But usually detailiers will work with the client to come up with a plan that will fit the customer's budget and expectation.

You are asking us to comment on a situation where we don't know any of the details. Some of the comments here were : for a 1000$ you should have perfect paint. Well maybe, maybe not. I know that opti-coat pro is super expensive (the product itself). I don't know what it's costing the detailer to install it but it certainly is the most expensive coating available, and Optimum asks a lot of sacrifices to the detaillers who want to be installers of that product. That's why I never bothered with it. I don't like to have quotas and minimum purchases to meet. Anyhow, the rest of the price you paid was for preparing the vehicle to receive the coating, and there is a lot of things that can be done depending on the state of the paint. If you had a lot of damage in the paint, a full paint correction by itself can cost over a 1000$, so maybe the detailer compromised and did limited paint correction... it's impossible for me to tell. But you should definatelly sit down with him and have him explain why you are in this situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Im an authorized installer fo opticoat pro. The installation of Opticoat pro by itself is $800 opticoat pro+ is $1,200. A black, 1 year old maxima probably needed a full paint correction..that alone is priced separate. Im almost sure the installer told you that. You paid $1,000 for an interior detail, optimum primer polish (meant for light swilrs) and the application of opticoat pro with a warranty card. You sir, got what you paid for. Flawless finish wouldve started at 2k+ again, im sure the installer told you this

Post Thanks / Like

Lol so funny. Sir come to me I'll do it for 800 and it will be flawless. 700 for detail 100 for material. Take me about 5/6 for the detail and whatever for the coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kaliagent2001 View Post
    Lol so funny. Sir come to me I'll do it for 800 and it will be flawless. 700 for detail 100 for material. Take me about 5/6 for the detail and whatever for the coat.

Whats funny is that you're claiming to deliver "flawless" finish in 5 to 6 hours. I can quickly tell you dont run a business. Theres more overhead than what you think. A properly cut, polish, prime polish and opticoat takes a minimum of 2-3 days for me. Would love to see what youll deliver in 5 hrs.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Fermani

I understand that it's not going to look flawless, I was hoping for closer to nearly flawless. Or a lot better than this.
    It was told a 3 step buff process that would remove 95% of the swirls/marring. 8-20 hours of time depending on car.
    He said he was going to fix it, so we'll see. I seen a few black cars done before mine.

Before

Before (Was talking about Orange Peel, which I 100% understand would NOT be fixed) I'm in the paint coatings industry

After

After

Post Thanks / Like

Opti-Coat Pro Applied - Have Questions/Need Help

I just understand my cost and know my process after doing it for 20 plus years. Cut, polish, prime , coat. I'm also a Cpa so I sure do understand my cost . If anything the coat would take me the longest as I never coated lol. But correction of paint. That I can do. I just wish I could charge that much in my area.

McKee 37 is on the way though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kaliagent2001 View Post
    I just understand my cost and know my process after doing it for 20 plus years. Cut, polish, prime , coat. I'm also a Cpa so I sure do understand my cost . If anything the coat would take me the longest as I never coated lol. But correction of paint. That I can do. I just wish I could charge that much in my area.

McKee 37 is on the way though.

Did you say your from SF Bay Area?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the market around me I've checked go highest I've talked too around 600. Think I should do more research than just my surroundings. the more I've been on here the more it seems I'm giving away my services compared to what I hear others are charging. Think I'm hitting the wrong market.

I'm part time detailer been doing it for years. Picked up from my dad and helped me thru college. Takes me a Saturday to detail s car. No more than 10 hrs I've spent, fir autos that is. I also do rvs, boats, homes, motorcycles. Some of my customers have taken home awards. I'm not here to knock on anyone by any means. but for 1k I hope the customer had all the known knowledge what they were getting out of the detail.

Hoping the industry does not turn into a mechanic industry in which I also too run.

That's a different story.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast