autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Old touch up paint removal and fix with dr. colorchip

My girlfriend applied factory touch up paint to a bunch of her chips and deep scratches on her 2011 Jeep Liberty (Blackberry Pearl color). The touch up paint is uneven with blobs and also the color has changed drastically from the rest of the paint. When she first did it, it matched for the first year now it's a completely different shade/ color, noticeable and looks like someone randomly tried to cover up the chips with testors model paint!

I ordered the dr. colorchip kit for her but I am not sure how to remove the old touch up paint and then repair the chips and deep scratches with dr. colorchip.

So with that said how do I remove the old touch up paint? Goof Off, sand it in some way (I have no experience sanding cars), or is there another way to remove the old stuff and what do I need to do to prep it for dr. colorchip ?

Thanks in Advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old touch up paint removal and fix with dr. colorchip

I think your best bet would be to carefully wet sand them level to the paint, compound, polish, and leave them.

That should remove most of the paint except what is left down in the chip. Then they should be less noticeable.

Fill the newer ones with Dr ColorChip.

Post Thanks / Like

Wet Sanding can be a real crap shoot for the in-experienced. Ask me how I know? And I thought I was being careful. But nope, sanded right through a clear coat, and even a base coat on a couple of small touch up spots trying to be cool.

Fortunately, it was my junk-mobile, and was not worth losing sleep over such mistakes.

It was once sold here, but no longer, Langka. Langka was referred to as "the blob remover", which will more safely level, and even totally remove the factory type touch up paints if you desire. Perhaps others might mention that Mineral Spirits can do the same.

The Colorchip stuff is really great, love this product.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Will dr colorchip also not fade to a different color after a year or so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by thebouncer View Post

My girlfriend applied factory touch up paint to a bunch of her chips and deep scratches on her 2011 Jeep Liberty (Blackberry Pearl color).

The touch up paint is uneven with blobs
    That sounds about right.

and also the color has changed drastically from the rest of the paint. When she first did it, it matched for the first year now it's a completely different shade/ color, noticeable and looks like someone randomly tried to cover up the chips with testors model paint!
    Wow!

No long term testing or quality control on the part of the FACTORY touch-up paint? This is JEEP correct?

I'm a little surprised at Jeep.

I ordered the dr. colorchip kit for her but I am not sure how to remove the old touch up paint and then repair the chips and deep scratches with dr. colorchip.

So with that said how do I remove the old touch up paint? Goof Off, sand it in some way (I have no experience sanding cars), or is there another way to remove the old stuff and what do I need to do to prep it for dr. colorchip ?

Thanks in Advance

I believe in one of the how-to videos we made with Dan McCool from DR. Color Chip Dan states you can safely use Acetone to remove touch-up paint from FACTORY CLEARCOAT. (not repaints).

I'd recommend you or someone watching the below videos, make sure the above is accurate and then reply to this thread and let everyone know which video it's in and the time mark where it can be found.

Video List

Below are 5 videos with descriptions for what each video includes. Watch the video that applies to your situation or watch them all. Then read the post below this post to see how to locate the paint code for your car. You'll need this code to order your kit. You can also call Autogeek's customer care staff and they can help you to locate the color code in your car.

How to use the Dr. ColorChip System to fix rock chips on your car!

Techniques for repairing paint chips on edges

The Shoe Polish Technique - For fixing multiple rock chips and road rash

Dr. ColorChip Rock Chip Repair System - High Profit Business Opportunity

How to start your own business with the Dr. ColorChip Rock Chip Repair System

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post

Wet Sanding can be a real crap shoot for the in-experienced.
    I agree.

For everyone reading this thread into the future, below is the link to an article that I think I share the most out of all the articles I've ever written...

Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post

I think your best bet would be to carefully wet sand them level to the paint, compound, polish, and leave them.

That should remove most of the paint except what is left down in the chip. Then they should be less noticeable.

Fill the newer ones with Dr ColorChip.

That's kind of what most people would try.... here's the issue most people run into doing the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

The problem you can run into when you start buffing on touch-up paint is when you warm it up, especially when using a rotary buffer, you can actually pull the touch-up paint right out of the scratch or rock chip if you're attempting to do this to a rock chip. Then you're back to where you started only now you've got sanding marks in the surrounding paint.

The above passage I wrote in 2011 and taken from post #28 on page 3 of this thread,

Key Repair-Step by Step Procedure

And the above thread is a great example as to why NOT to use Photobucket for anything you want to endure over time.

Mike Phillips

To thebouncer...

Here's a step-by-step article I wrote on how to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Repair System - with full color pictures...

How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I agree.

For everyone reading this thread into the future, below is the link to an article that I think I share the most out of all the articles I've ever written...

Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips

That's kind of what most people would try.... here's the issue most people run into doing the above.

The above passage I wrote in 2011 and taken from post #28 on page 3 of this thread,

Key Repair-Step by Step Procedure

And the above thread is a great example as to why NOT to use Photobucket for anything you want to endure over time.

Mike, in all fairness, it wasn't photobucket's error, it was mine. My apologies for having a useless thread now.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post

Mike, in all fairness, it wasn't photobucket's error, it was mine. My apologies for having a useless thread now.

Yeah it's too bad... that was a popular how-to article for people trying to do what you did but without the pictures it's still useful information just not as visual.

Do you still have the pictures?

Mike Phillips

Sad to say... there are thousands of threads like this where the original pictures are missing and were hosted on Photobucket but then the user deleted them to make more room on their free Photobucket account. The effect this has is anyowhere they posted the now-deleted pictures ends up missing the pictures.

Back in 2010 - 6 years ago, I wrote an article on the issue with Photobucket and missing pictures.

Photobucket and Missing Pictures

I point out the problem and then share the solution in post #9 - I don't know if the pricing structure on Photobucket has changed since the year 2010 but even if it has in order to keep pictures hosted on Photobucket around forever, till after you die at least, you would have to pay forever. So it's still not a good option.

AGO provides a free gallery and I taught myself to use it. Others can too but that's up to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast