autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Dr. David Ghodoussi - Optimum

As a weekend detailer/hobbyist and engineer by day job I have some interest in the science behind these products. So, I did some searches and looked up Dr. Ghodoussi's patents, filed under the name Vahid Ghodoussi. They are quite interesting but the verbiage is a bit heavy on chemistry lingo.

Example:

"The anionic film-forming polymers are polymers having anionic groups, in particular carboxylic and/or sulfonic groups. The preferred anionic polymers employed in the compositions of this invention are selected principally from among: (1) the homo- or copolymers of acrylic or methacrylic acids or their salts and their esters and in particular the products sold under the trade names “VERSICOL F™” or “VERSICOL K™” by Allied Colloid, “ULTRAHOLD 8™” by Ciba-Geigy, the copolymers of acrylic acid and acrylamide sold under the form of their sodium salt under the designation “RETEN TM™” by Hercules, sodium polymethacrylate sold under the designation “DARVAN No 7™” by Vanderbilt, the sodium salts of polyhydroxycarboxylic acids, sold under the trade name “HYDAGEN F™” by Henkel; (2) copolymers derived from crotonic acid and their esters; (3) polymers or copolymers derived from maleic, fumaric or itaconic acids or anhydrides with vinylic or phenylvinylic or acrylic derivatives, these polymers being able to be esterified. Among these polymers, mention can be made of the polymers sold under the designations “GANTREZ™” by the GAF Corporation or “EMA ™” by Monsanto."

No links allowed here (I think) so if you search "US 6685765 B1" you can see details of one of his patents.

One thing that jumps out at me is that in a practical sense these patents are unenforceable from the perspective of someone cloning "secret sauce" because the expense of analysis would be prohibitive. The value is being able to describe from an authoritative perspective to your customer base that you are credible and not selling snake oil. As someone who has taken some upper division chemistry courses I find this entire science applied to real world automotive paint absolutely fascinating. I'm glad there is some science behind all of these products.

I have also standardized my detailing toolkit with two Optimum products now, Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax (diluted as a quick detailer) and Optimum Car Wax (to top my toppers) for UV protection of roof/hood/trunk.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dr. David Ghodoussi - Optimum

I was at SEMA one year and had a great chat with Dr G. Truly a nice guy. His knowledge is off the charts. Bright guy all around.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

I read through some of those some time ago. Indeed, was a bit too much above my chemistry knowledge, but it's nice to know they did some homework.

Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely be interested in a "Chemistry for Detailers" online class.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    As a weekend detailer/hobbyist and
    engineer by day job I have some interest
    in the science behind these products.

So, I did some searches and looked up
    Dr. Ghodoussi's patents, filed under the
    name Vahid Ghodoussi.

They are quite interesting but the verbiage
    is a bit heavy on chemistry lingo.

Example:

"The anionic film-forming polymers are polymers having anionic groups, in particular carboxylic and/or sulfonic groups. The preferred anionic polymers employed in the compositions of this invention are selected principally from among: (1) the homo- or copolymers of acrylic or methacrylic acids or their salts and their esters and in particular the products sold under the trade names “VERSICOL F™” or “VERSICOL K™” by Allied Colloid, “ULTRAHOLD 8™” by Ciba-Geigy, the copolymers of acrylic acid and acrylamide sold under the form of their sodium salt under the designation “RETEN TM™” by Hercules, sodium polymethacrylate sold under the designation “DARVAN No 7™” by Vanderbilt, the sodium salts of polyhydroxycarboxylic acids, sold under the trade name “HYDAGEN F™” by Henkel; (2) copolymers derived from crotonic acid and their esters; (3) polymers or copolymers derived from maleic, fumaric or itaconic acids or anhydrides with vinylic or phenylvinylic or acrylic derivatives, these polymers being able to be esterified. Among these polymers, mention can be made of the polymers sold under the designations “GANTREZ™” by the GAF Corporation or “EMA ™” by Monsanto."

One thing that jumps out at me is that in a practical sense these patents are unenforceable from the perspective of someone cloning "secret sauce" because the expense of analysis would be prohibitive. The value is being able to describe from an authoritative perspective to your customer base that you are credible and not selling snake oil. As someone who has taken some upper division chemistry courses I find this entire science applied to real world automotive paint absolutely fascinating. I'm glad there is some science behind all of these products.
    Let me just say that the above appears
    (to me) to be Perturbative-Theory friendly;
    [not that it's nonperturbatively hostile].

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti