autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got rid of my Overpriced Karcher PW and bought a Cheap Ryobi & Upgraded it... way better setup!!

Oh, good to know. I'll look around.

I *was* wondering why I wasn't getting the kind of foam that I see in other photos, even after
    several different shampoos w/ my sunjoe 3001. Also, I'm hoping the shampoo charge lasts a
    bit longer than w/ the stock orifice (always seemed to run out faster than I thought it would)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got rid of my Overpriced Karcher PW and bought a Cheap Ryobi & Upgraded it... way better setup!!

I had some limited success with increasing the amount of certain soaps I used in my cannon with my cheapo lowe's special Greenworks 1600/1.2.

That's no longer an issue with my new AR610 1350/1.9, though I probably will go with a PF22/1.1mm combo when I get tired of this standard chemical guys foam cannon that I paid way too much for.
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ntwillie1 View Post
    Alright. I tried a second time. Replaced w a Ryobi 1.2 gpm 1700 psi unit. It’s a little bigger than the one I had but at least it hasn’t blown up on me yet.

First off,I love my mosmatic gun w swivel. Looks good,doesn’t get tangled, and looks like a quality piece.

Second, the pressure washer and factory gun/wand work well for pressure washing my patio .

Third, foamability is not living up to my expectations. I have a brand new mtm foam canon and have tried various settings. I also use Chemical Guys Honey Dew soap. Have super weak suds at best. Pretty much equivalent to my foam gun that works w a garden hose.

I’ll keep messing around w this setup to see if I can improve my foam. Otherwise I wasted good money on my mosmatic and mtm foam cannon cause there was no need for them if I don’t get the foam.
    That's very odd... I also use a 1700 PSI unit and never had issues with the foam. I don't even use soaps designed for foam guns, I just use my regular car soap, car soap with wax, car soap mixed with dawn. All 3 foam very well. Maybe your foam cannon is defective?

Post Thanks / Like

1700/1.2 is a little low on the flow side. I think you have 2 problems.

1.) the orifice is likely one intended for a more powerful gas pw

2.) you may want to up your soap concentration in the bottle. Run the cannon with the blades closed and the mixing dial all the way to the right (highest concentration)

Also, do you happen to have it running with an extension cord? If so try it with a larger gauge cord or direct to power. Small gauge extension cords can and will reduce your electric pw output

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to stick with the original ryobi hose for the time being. What adapter coupler is needed to connect to the new gun?

And can anyone recommend a budget friendly 25' hose with 3/8 ends?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    I would like to stick with the original ryobi hose for the time being. What adapter coupler is needed to connect to the new gun?

And can anyone recommend a budget friendly 25' hose with 3/8 ends?
    try Kleenrite... you can order any of these with whatever ends you would like crimped on. I have several of their hoses at various lengths. All are very high quality and very easy to manage.

Car Wash High Pressure Hose - High Pressure Water Hose Car Wash - 1/4 High Pressure Hose For Car Wash

7. Likes jdne5b liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

dumb question but on the gun the MTM site video shows him putting the swivel right onto the gun then the female coupler, this would mean that the hose would have to have the male plug. however your setup and matt from OG seem to have the male plug off the handle of the gun. What am i missing im getting confused now.

These connections dont match the pick in your PDF?
    MTM Hydro Updated 100 Foot Kobrajet Hose | High Pressure Washing Hoses | Kleen-Rite

heres the video from MTM with it the opposite.
    AG Live Swivel - MTM Hydro Parts

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    The Karcher X Series...
    About 4 years ago I bought a Karcher X Series (K5.540) , 2000 PSI, 1.4 GPM unit (product link) to be used for car washing. This was my first electric pressure washer, and I figured I would buy the "top of the line" expensive model so I wouldn't have any regrets later. Well, I screwed up....

The Karcher unit was... fine. I mean it sprayed water at higher pressure, so I suppose it functioned, but after fighting with it for so long, that is about the only good thing I can say about it. The hose was a stiff, cheap product that would never lay flat. It always tried to retain the coiled up shape even when it was uncoiled. Thanks to Karcher's unique connections, the only option that I had found to replace the hose was with another Karcher hose... so I was stuck with it. The spray gun and wand were also cheap, flimsy products. The variable pressure wand is a nice idea, however I only utilized the widest fan setting, so the variable settings were not needed by any means. Again, thanks to the Karcher connections, I was also stuck with this gun. Due to these proprietary connections, I also had to purchase an adapter to allow me to use my foam cannons with this sprayer. The attachment on the PW body to hold the gun while it was being stored fell off regularly, as did the hook to hang the extension cord on. This was an issue from day one. Very cheaply made, poorly designed pieces. In the end, it was the power cord that gave up on me, and instead of spending $20 to fix it, I sold the entire unit for $30 on craigslist. I just wanted it gone. Time to start over.

My inspiration...
    I had watched some videos by Matt on Obsessed Garage where he went over a lot of the research he had done on pressure washer fittings, wands, guns, hoses, etc. and I became intrigued. I knew my next setup needed to incorporate some higher end components (hose and gun, specifically) so I would not have the same complaints as I did with the Karcher unit. I have always been a fan of the MTM Foam Cannons, so I spent some time on their site and the OG site checking out fittings, hoses, and guns. I liked what I saw so I decided to get to work....

The Cheap Ryobi...
    I went to my local home depot and picked up the cheapest pressure washer they had. A 1600 PSI, 1.2 GPM Ryobi unit (product link). This unit retails for $119, but I had a coupon and got it for $101 + tax. I knew I would not be using the included hose or gun, I just needed the unit itself. This little thing is a great, compact size. It is very lightweight and easy to move around, unlike the overweight karcher unit I had previously.

Upgrading the Ryobi...
    The output of the Ryobi PW is an M22 male thread where the supplied Ryobi hose would typically connect. Since I would not be using this hose, I needed to convert the M22 thread to a 3/8" coupler as that is a common size found on most higher end hoses. From there I needed the use the appropriate fittings to connect the hose to the pressure washer, and the hose to my new MTM SG-28 Spray Gun. A 1/4" coupler was added to the output of the spray gun to allow for easy changes between spray nozzles and foam cannons. The following photo shows the full layout of parts. Click here to download the PDF with links to all parts and a 2nd option to upgrade your hose and gun.

Some of the parts once they arrived....

Just put the new setup to the test today, and I am very pleased!!!

(Used with MTM Hydro PF22 Foam Cannon and Optimum Car Wash. 40* Nozzle used for rinsing)

Initial Impressions of the New Setup...
    Man is it nice to have a 50' hose! Man is it nice to have a hose that doesn't get twisted and tangled! Man is it nice to have a PW that doesn't fall over!

Alright, so I do not have a hose reel on this new unit. This means I have to connect and disconnect the high pressure hose each time I use it which adds a couple of minutes to my job, but I sort of prefer it this way. The PW unit remains very compact and lightweight without the hose reel. I simply roll up my hose and hang it on a hook inside my garage above the pressure washer, just like I do with my garden hose. My foam lance and spray gun have spots on my pegboard.

The SG-28 spray gun is very nice. While it is still a completely plastic body, the build quality is much better than the Karcher gun. It just feels sturdy. There isn't a bunch of play in the trigger.

The MTM nozzles with the appropriately selected orifice size are fantastic!! It feels like this 1600 PSI unit has a much stronger stream than the 2000 PSI karcher did. I think the Karcher spray wand was the limiting factor there.

The connectors and fittings are very solid. No leaks, and no issues connecting or disconnecting anything during setup, use, and tear down.

At the end of the day, I spent less money on this new setup than I did on the Karcher several years ago. I feel the Ryobi (or other similar inexpensive unit) with the upgraded components is absolutely the right way to go for consumer setups! So far I'm very happy with my switch.
    From your concept about Karcher, really I am hopeless. Recently I have decided to buy a pressure washer for my cleaning job. But I can't get a decision, what I should buy.

I am a new user and I have found you as an experienced user of the Pressure washer. You want to buy the "Ryobi 1,600 PSI 1.2-GPM Electric Pressure Washer" but it is unavailable on Amazon. Can you suggest me any review for Ryobi 1600 PSI? Or I have found a review about GreenWorks 1600 PSI. Let me know about your user experience for GreenWorks. Please check the review and get me a solution GreenWorks 1600 PSI Reviews in 2018-Best Pressure Washer.

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to update. I've been using the Zach/Ryobi set up for about two months. Have used it at least once a week since putting it together, runs like a champ. The 50ft hose really makes it easier, I have to move it 3ft from where I store the unit, plug it in and put the hoses on and can go around a car in the drive way with ease. In a way I am glad my Karcher died, if it hadn't, I'd still be dealing with it!

11. Likes Daviddear30, zmcgovern45 liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Obsessed garage recently did a video review of all the Ryobi washers. I’m confused now because if you use the online nozzle calculators they indicate a 2.0 nozzle, but Matt decided on 3.0 nozzles.

Really glad this thread is here. I can’t justify a kranzle, but a ryobi is doable. Upgrade as per instructions and we have a nice solution.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast