autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone else order a Makita PO5000C?

Hey Mike,

I know they list the machine with the 6 inch plate, but the one I saw last week in Shanghai at the trade show had the 5 inch on it. I use the Festool backing plates on both my 5000s because the velcro is much better. I also took off the front cover and filled the cavity with about a pound of lead shot and epoxy - it dampens the vibration and makes the machine run much smoother. There may be a tiny performance gain there too, because the energy that's not going into my hands is going onto the paint. Probably not enough to matter, but still.

All the best,
    RSW

2. Likes Mike@ShineStruck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Which one did you get
    Hard, soft, or super soft?

Post Thanks / Like

I run the hard plates because I think the foam pads are more than soft enough to conform to the surface without help from the backing plate.

RSW

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RSW View Post

Hey Mike,

I know they list the machine with the 6 inch plate, but the one I saw last week in Shanghai at the trade show had the 5 inch on it. I use the Festool backing plates on both my 5000s because the velcro is much better.

I have know idea why Makita would sell different size backing plates on this tool for different markets. Globally, smaller diameter pads fit modern car panels better than larger pads.

I also took off the front cover and filled the cavity with about a pound of lead shot and epoxy - it dampens the vibration and makes the machine run much smoother.

I have to wonder that the Makita Engineers would think of this mod.... We have the KB Washer Mod now the RSW Buckshot Mod

Post Thanks / Like

3in forced works well too Mike!
    3 plate options

Bad thing about Makita is they don't accept user submitted Ideas

I've been trying really hard for them to update the machine with a variable throw mode to make freespin usefull

Only machine I know that does this is the Metabo sxe450 sander

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I have know idea why Makita would sell different size backing plates on this tool for different markets. Globally, smaller diameter pads fit modern car panels better than larger pads.

I have to wonder that the Makita Engineers would think of this mod.... We have the KB Washer Mod now the RSW Buckshot Mod

lol

I'm pretty sure the Makita Engineers aren't interested in what I have to say about that machine because they have my telephone number.

A friend of mine's Son worked with me for a few days during Christmas break this year. In one of the shops where we worked, the car was at the far end and I couldn't get my car close, so we had to carry tools to the car. As I was finishing up, I told him to take the tools back to the car so I could put them away. He picked up one paint brush and took it to the car.... When he walkedi back, I said to him, "You know, when you get old, your eyes don't work like they do when you're young. Sometimes you see something and you're not really sure if you saw what you think you saw. So, I have to ask, did you just pick one paint brush and walk it back to the car?" And he said, "Sounds pretty stupid when you say it doesn't it?" Me, "Yep." We laughed and he carried everything he could after that.

I had the same feeling when I saw the pre-release video of the 5000 and the machine was spinning the wrong direction.

If they tried a machine with my mod they'd have to appreciate how much smoother it runs, but I think they'd complain about the weight. Value inflexibility - weight is always a problem - except it's not.

RSW

8. Likes Mike@ShineStruck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike,...I also took off the front cover and filled the cavity with about a pound of lead shot and epoxy - it dampens the vibration and makes the machine run much smoother...

All the best,
    RSW
    Do you have a photo of this? I am trying to picture it. I don't have my machine yet.

Thanks
    "Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    Do you have a photo of this? I am trying to picture it. I don't have my machine yet.

Thanks
    At this point I've changed my mods. I've gone with the top off the Makita BO6040 and put some wheel weights inside the outer ring. Also, I've switched out the backing plate for a Rupes backing plate.

I'll try and get a picture for you.

All the best,

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

At this point I've changed my mods. I've gone with the top off the Makita BO6040 and put some wheel weights inside the outer ring. Also, I've switched out the backing plate for a Rupes backing plate.

I'll try and get a picture for you.

All the best,

Robert
    I'd appreciate that. So, the Rupes backing plate works with this machine?

Thanks...
    "Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    I'd appreciate that. So, the Rupes backing plate works with this machine?

Thanks...

Let me know if this link works. Shared album - Robert Whyte - Google Photos

RSW

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast