autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401 vs. Rupes Mille/Makita P5000C, for those that are wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Buy this machine for the forced rotation. The random orbit mode is terrible. I was going to sell my GG 6" random orbital, but I'm going to keep it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    it seems like when a DA has less stroke, it stalls easier...GG3 good example , nano with 3mm essentric.. etc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nothingface5384 View Post
    yeah, ill try the scion fender again, and does your makita body get warm, mid section?
    I haven't used it to polish a car yet but running it for a few mins (free air) I didn't notice any warmth at all. But it had no load on it so I wouldn't expect it to get warm ...

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

I've don't have 1/3 scion hood, small section of fender and a door..body got warm between tool rests. Front and rear grip uneffected.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Buy this machine for the forced rotation. The random orbit mode is terrible. I was going to sell my GG 6" random orbital, but I'm going to keep it now.
    i thought you already sold the GG6 when you bought the HF DA?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok guys so I conducted a rudimentary but effective test of random orbit mode of the Makita 5000 as it relates to pad stalling, on flat surfaces and curved. I started with an LC CCS pad on it with the 5000 in free rotation mode, speed setting at 2. While on the flat surface of my dryer, I started the polisher and the pad did not spin at all. Bumped it up to speed 3, and again the pad was stalling under ONLY it's own weight - I was applying no pressure at all. Bumped up to speed 4 and of course the pad started to spin, but not very fast at all - lifting the head of the polisher up the pad regained speed - but who's going to do that while polishing! Speed 5 the pad spun very quickly and on a flat surface was hard to bog down. Now I thought to try this same test on the curved 'panel' of the dryer - shown here in the picture. On speed 4 or less, there was very little if any pad rotation as I rode the corner, and it regained speed once on the vertical panel of the dryer. On speed 5 the pad did maintain rotation around the curve albeit slower than while on a flat surface.

In direct drive mode, the pad rotated regardless of speed setting, and was not possible to bog down whether on a flat surface or curved, but that is to be expected in a direct drive unit.

I understand this was not a 100% scientific test but it did second what WRAPT said above - I was extremely unimpressed with the unit in free spin mode - bogging down under its own weight unless it was run on speed 4 or higher, and at speed 4 there was very little pad rotation.

If you are buying this to use solely as a direct drive unit, it's got power. If you are planning to use it extensively in free spin mode, get a GG6, BOSS15/21, Rupes etc. Makita missed the mark by a MILE in free spin mode as far as pad rotation goes. I ran the same test with my GG6 and on speed 1 (flat surface), and the rotation under its own weight was what the Makita needed speed 4 to match pad rotation.

PS when I swapped the CCS out for a LC ThinPro, pad rotation was slightly better but no where near what the GG6 could muster in pad rotation.

Sorry I couldn't video this tonight - wife was in no mood to be bothered with my 'tests' tonight - I knew better than to ask. LOl!

ScottH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flex 3401 vs. Rupes Mille/Makita P5000C, for those that are wondering.-img_0054-jpg   Flex 3401 vs. Rupes Mille/Makita P5000C, for those that are wondering.-img_0055-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    i thought you already sold the GG6 when you bought the HF DA?
    I still have an early 2nd generation GG DA that I recently fixed. The cord was bad and I finally got around to fixing it. It's better than the newer GG 6" and the HF DA.

'03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nothingface5384 View Post
    it seems like when a DA has less stroke, it stalls easier...GG3 good example , nano with 3mm essentric.. etc
    Don't have those to compare, but maybe it is the stroke length. Anyhow, while VERY smooth the Makita is in random orbit mode, it's stalls VERY easy.

'03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3401 vs. Rupes Mille/Makita P5000C, for those that are wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post

If you are buying this to use solely as a direct drive unit, it's got power. If you are planning to use it extensively in free spin mode, get a GG6, BOSS15/21, Rupes etc. Makita missed the mark by a MILE in free spin mode as far as pad rotation goes.

ScottH
    Nailed it, Scott.

I haven't had a chance to test true correction ability in forced mode, but if Rupes claims the Mille will correct better than the Mark II 21, the Makita in forced mode should correct better than both the Mille and Mark II 21.

I'm really looking forward to trying the Mille pads and polishes on the Makita.

'03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

On another note
    When I tested rotation on test panel, I used dry 6.5 low pro
    On Scion XB i used compound with both 6.5 low probably 5.5 thin pro
    Rotation we're both excellent at 3 and 4 but nothing with 5.
    I'll video it all

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Ok guys so I conducted a rudimentary but effective test of random orbit mode of the Makita 5000 as it relates to pad stalling, on flat surfaces and curved. I started with an LC CCS pad on it with the 5000 in free rotation mode, speed setting at 2. While on the flat surface of my dryer, I started the polisher and the pad did not spin at all. Bumped it up to speed 3, and again the pad was stalling under ONLY it's own weight - I was applying no pressure at all. Bumped up to speed 4 and of course the pad started to spin, but not very fast at all - lifting the head of the polisher up the pad regained speed - but who's going to do that while polishing! Speed 5 the pad spun very quickly and on a flat surface was hard to bog down. Now I thought to try this same test on the curved 'panel' of the dryer - shown here in the picture. On speed 4 or less, there was very little if any pad rotation as I rode the corner, and it regained speed once on the vertical panel of the dryer. On speed 5 the pad did maintain rotation around the curve albeit slower than while on a flat surface.

In direct drive mode, the pad rotated regardless of speed setting, and was not possible to bog down whether on a flat surface or curved, but that is to be expected in a direct drive unit.

I understand this was not a 100% scientific test but it did second what WRAPT said above - I was extremely unimpressed with the unit in free spin mode - bogging down under its own weight unless it was run on speed 4 or higher, and at speed 4 there was very little pad rotation.

If you are buying this to use solely as a direct drive unit, it's got power. If you are planning to use it extensively in free spin mode, get a GG6, BOSS15/21, Rupes etc. Makita missed the mark by a MILE in free spin mode as far as pad rotation goes. I ran the same test with my GG6 and on speed 1 (flat surface), and the rotation under its own weight was what the Makita needed speed 4 to match pad rotation.

PS when I swapped the CCS out for a LC ThinPro, pad rotation was slightly better but no where near what the GG6 could muster in pad rotation.

Sorry I couldn't video this tonight - wife was in no mood to be bothered with my 'tests' tonight - I knew better than to ask. LOl!

ScottH
    Mike Phillips - hi Mike, did you experience the same poor pad rotation in free spin mode during your initial review?

Thanks,
    ScottH

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast