autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

The importance of Iron Removers/Coated Vehicles

Happy Sunday everyone! Just wanted to share my experience this morning with the use of an iron remover.

I've used iron removers before on vehicles prior to coating, but never after the fact. I know it has already been said that the only safe way to decontaminate paint that has been coated is to use an iron remover. But what I didn't realize is the impact it can actually make.

Before washing my truck this morning, I decided to use an iron remover due to the paint not feeling smooth, or beading/sheeting water as well as you would expect from a coating that was applied in January(the truck sits outside 24/7).

I used McKees Xtreme Iron Remover, and after letting it dwell for a few minutes, started the washing process using the 2BM with a microfiber mitt and Optimum Car Wash. Although the iron remover was probably most of the cause, I immediately noticed how much easier it was for the mitt to glide across the paint. I have to note that the McKees iron remover did an excellent job clinging to the paint and not drying even after 5 or more minutes.

Now for the impressive part....Rinsing. As soon as I started to rinse my truck using the spray nozzle that attaches to the foam gun(flood rinsed afterward) I noticed that the water was was immediately beading and running off of the paint, and seemed to do so even better than when it was first coated.

This was an important lesson learned for me as I thought the reason for the lack of performance was one of two things: the coating I used(GTechniq CSL) just didn't have great beading/sheeting properties, or I just didn't apply the coating correctly,therefore degraded quickly. My honest bet was on not applying the coating correctly as it was my first time applying a wipe on/wipe off immediately coating. My favorite coating is unfortunately not sold on AG but is applied in a similar way to CQuartz.

After using McKees Xtreme Iron Remover and watching my coating come back to life, I highly recommend using the Iron Remover of your choice every 6-12 months on coated vehicles(or when the coating performance seems to drop) in order to maintain the benefits of the coating.

The importance of Iron Removers/Coated Vehicles-img_2798-jpg

The importance of Iron Removers/Coated Vehicles-img_2799-jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The importance of Iron Removers/Coated Vehicles

While it's not exactly the same result as what you experienced, I notice that whenever I use an iron remover on my white F150 it really seems to make the paint 'pop'. There are times where I only decontaminate the tailgate, and I swear when I'm done the back of the truck is a different shade of white than the rest.

Proof positive just how much airborne 'junk' our vehicles are bombarded with on a daily basis.

Post Thanks / Like

The importance of Iron Removers/Coated Vehicles

I 100% believe that. It actually reminds me of an article that Mike Phillips wrote 7 years ago..(originally 20 years ago)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...eaches-us.html

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Just startee to use ironx and its now a staple.

I only washed /clayed and iron x my gals white 2012 the first day and she excalimed how shiny it was ...and she was right..clay and ironx made a huge diff..i said..i only got started ..i wish it was as easy as day1 deconamination and then done..this is the easy day...many more ahead

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate this thread as it ties into a simlar but different one I have. I've used iron removers before but I don't believe I used it on my own car, that changes this weekend...I hope👈

Once again, thanks for the play by play results, real world user and real world results!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

yeah.. i thought it was the clay at first.. now after reading the first 2 posters about the impact of the ironx by itself.. clay AND IRONx combined made the paint pop after the initial decon day..

probably ties back to what Mike p wrote about the flatter a paint is, the more pop to the paint.. so iron x removes..then claying finishing the decon process which within itself the decon offers an immediate paint correction improvement even prior to polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I hit my coated vehicle with Iron-X about 2 weeks ago. There wasn't much to react with, my vehicle has a more sheltered life than yours though. I stuck with doing the lower panels only, as it was my first time doing anything but wash it since Ceramic Pro. I could feel a difference from where I sprayed Iron-X, and where I hadn't. Last night I did the rest of the vehicle and washed with Reset. Beads like the day it was coated, still.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be using ironx snow foam this weekend just for maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like

There was an article posted on detailed image for just coating maintenance and it mentioned the possibility for the need to decon a coating.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW!

what a excellent thread, Good for you to share this great information.

So many people on this very forum as well, When they see no water beading/sheeting properties they get paranoid and say the coating is gone.

The coating is not gone! It just got compromised by embedded contaminants so naturally when the water makes contact with this sticky grabby surface it is not going to be hydrophobic.

You can have a diamond coating on your vehicle and if it is covered with dirt, debris, and contaminants it is not going to bead and sheet water.

Thanks for sharing your experience.