autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Vinyl stiff, Rubber oxidized.. ideas ?

Hi Guys,

The spare wheel cover for my HONDA CRV (the hard plastic type), I noticed the vinyl section that zips up around the spare, has gone hard. I've had the cover off the car for sometime, but must have been exposed to weather.

Is this an easy way of softening it up so its more flexible (like normal vinyl)? I don't want to force it into shape as is, as that would likely crack/split it (?).

Would soaking the stiffer sections in hot water (with leather shampoo) help ?

Regardng the rubber window seals, they're oxidized and dirty. Tried cleaning them, but improvements are minimal at best.

I've cleaned them then tried solution finish, which darkens the rubber a little, but the discolouration is still noticable.

Mostly look like that, with some section more worse.

I'm considering buying some of this, though not sure if it's something that'll clean them, or just something that you use to condition good condition rubber seals.

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/p..._gumme_pfledge

Anything? perhaps an Acid of some sort ?

Advice on either or both would be super.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vinyl stiff, Rubber oxidized.. ideas ?

I heard solution finish was the best stuff out there. idk if its for rubber though? what did you use to clean the rubber before using sf on it?

edit solution finish is not for rubber. "If it's made of black plastic or vinyl, Solution Finish will make it look better than new!"

thats from the product page. let me know how you make out i have some rubber i want to restore. griots has a rubber prep if that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I found this online,

Restoring Rubber With Ammonia. Use ammonia to restore natural rubber. Ammonia is often used to wash bathroom fixtures and can be used for laundry as well. ...

i might try it

Edit, Never mind dont try it! its a totally different thing then what we want. Just read online.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Widget View Post
    Hi Guys,

The spare wheel cover for my HONDA CRV (the hard plastic type), I noticed the vinyl section that zips up around the spare, has gone hard. I've had the cover off the car for sometime, but must have been exposed to weather.

Is this an easy way of softening it up so its more flexible (like normal vinyl)? I don't want to force it into shape as is, as that would likely crack/split it (?).

Would soaking the stiffer sections in hot water (with leather shampoo) help ?

Regardng the rubber window seals, they're oxidized and dirty. Tried cleaning them, but improvements are minimal at best.

I've cleaned them then tried solution finish, which darkens the rubber a little, but the discolouration is still noticable.

Mostly look like that, with some section more worse.

I'm considering buying some of this, though not sure if it's something that'll clean them, or just something that you use to condition good condition rubber seals.

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/p..._gumme_pfledge

Anything? perhaps an Acid of some sort ?

Advice on either or both would be super.

Thanks
    Get some Mothers Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner. That's specifically what you need to get that job done. After that use whatever you like, as it'll be as close to new as you will ever get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    I heard solution finish was the best stuff out there. idk if its for rubber though? what did you use to clean the rubber before using sf on it?

edit solution finish is not for rubber. "If it's made of black plastic or vinyl, Solution Finish will make it look better than new!"

thats from the product page. let me know how you make out i have some rubber i want to restore. griots has a rubber prep if that helps.
    Thanks fightnews . Before using SF, I just used a bit of 3D Orange Degreaser and scrubbed it with a toothbrush. I think it helped a little, but not as much as I'd liked.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Get some Mothers Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner. That's specifically what you need to get that job done. After that use whatever you like, as it'll be as close to new as you will ever get it.
    Thanks Eldorado, Ill look into it . Have you used it at all?? works well ?

Once I get it looking as good as I can get it, I was just gonna put some sort of rubber conditioner followed with maybe some (spray)wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently c4 works on rubber trim. They say you have to apply trim and wipe off "excess" right away. The only problem is they don't define "excess"? TO ME, If you wipe it on with the cotton pad and dont get any on the glass or paint then there is no excess.

But I think to them you are supposed to wipe the treated surface with a microfiber regardless in every application. IDK???

can anyone clarify?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

Whats up bro? Hows the job treating you?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fightnews . Before using SF, I just used a bit of 3D Orange Degreaser and scrubbed it with a toothbrush. I think it helped a little, but not as much as I'd liked.

Thanks Eldorado, Ill look into it . Have you used it at all?? works well ?

Once I get it looking as good as I can get it, I was just gonna put some sort of rubber conditioner followed with maybe some (spray)wax.
    you got me all pumped up kid im going to tackle my rubber trim today. been putting it off for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Apparently c4 works on rubber trim.
    What's C4 ?

Post Thanks / Like

What's C4 ?
    Its an expensive trim restorer, I bought it a while ago but i ended up using the mckees plastic restorer instead and that worked great. I tried to use the c4 on vinyl but it didnt work so im just sitting on it. i didnt know I could use it on rubber until today.

they sell the c4 here just search in the store i forget who makes it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast