autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Any advice on cleaning / polishing aluminium ?

Hi Guys,

I have Aluminium sidesteps for my SUV that I want to clean up. I removed the plastic parts (see pics), pressure washed it, used some CT14 degreaser, scrubbed, hosed off. A good amount of dirt came off and much of it looks good, but, there's parts where dirt seems to have 'stained' the aluminium and hard to get off.

I was looking to get some 'Aluminium cleaner', but generally that could haze the (lightly)polished surface... though it could probably be polished again, I dont think I have the tools available to polish metal.

Chemtech: Other Products - Blitz ( think this stuff says not to use on polished aluminium)

Any ideas on how to give it a good clean, while maintaining the shine ?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any advice on cleaning / polishing aluminium ?

You don't really need special tools to polish metal, I just have a little jar of mothers mag/aluminum polish and some microfibers. I don't know if Autogeek sells a product like it but nevr-dull works great on most metals. It's like a giant cotton ball with polish. Just rip a little piece off, rub down the boards, and buff the residue off.

Post Thanks / Like

Widget Get the Autosol........................................... ...................!

Post Thanks / Like

For that, I'd find a metal polish in a quart bottle, Wizard's would be my first choice. I'd wash with soap and water, rinse, dry but not well then apply the polish liberally with a sponge. Rubbing back and forth the direction of the groves or use an cotton terry cloth with the same movement. Then, I'd just wash the residue with soap and water. Assuming of course you can safely and legally wash that kind of residue onto the ground. Otherwise, go ahead and buff off the residue and throw the cloth away.

In my experience, any towel of any kind used for metal polishing should be thrown away. Even washed, they're still useless at best and really bad at worst for anything other than metal polishing and keeping them separate never seemed to work out for me. They'd get washed with the others or something and contaminate and ruin the bunch.

RSW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tasmania View Post
    Widget Get the Autosol........................................... ...................!

That's great stuff. I'd use it after I got the majority polished with something cheaper. Have you tried it using a webril wipe?

RSW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RSW View Post
    For that, I'd find a metal polish in a quart bottle, Wizard's would be my first choice. I'd wash with soap and water, rinse, dry but not well then apply the polish liberally with a sponge. Rubbing back and forth the direction of the groves or use an cotton terry cloth with the same movement. Then, I'd just wash the residue with soap and water. Assuming of course you can safely and legally wash that kind of residue onto the ground. Otherwise, go ahead and buff off the residue and throw the cloth away.

In my experience, any towel of any kind used for metal polishing should be thrown away. Even washed, they're still useless at best and really bad at worst for anything other than metal polishing and keeping them separate never seemed to work out for me. They'd get washed with the others or something and contaminate and ruin the bunch.

RSW
    A quart? There's no way...

Post Thanks / Like

No, but my next door neighbors bull bar went all milky after a automatic wash bay wash,

I hit it with Autosol paste and man does it look good, all by hand took me 4 hours =(

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    A quart? There's no way...
    Wizard's comes in smaller sizes, I just wanted to emphasize - cheap, lol. For the first pass at least.

RSW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tasmania View Post
    No, but my next door neighbors bull bar went all milky after a automatic wash bay wash,

I hit it with Autosol paste and man does it look good, all by hand took me 4 hours =(
    I'm sure it looks great. Using something down and dirty for the first pass then going over it with the Autosol might have been faster.

RSW

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of using microfiber towels that would be good only for a single use, I use Webril cotton wipes to polish my uncoated aluminum rims. They work really well and aren't as expensive as buying MF.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast