autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Please Critique My Setup

Hi All, recent lurker, first time posting!

Last month I bought a brand new Mustang GT w/ Performance Pack. The color is Magnetic which looks like a metal-flaked gunmetal gray. Really stunning in the sunlight! Looks like a dull gray in overcast.

Prior to this car I'd never waxed or done anything to clean/protect a car aside from using my station's scrub brushes, turtle wax soap in a bucket, and let it dry out in the lot. Occasionally shop vac'd the interior to get rid of cookie crumbs and french fries around my son's booster seat. Never needed more than that as I only ever drove beaters. I buy them cheap, pay cash and turn my own wrench...so it worked for me.

Now that I have my new car I want to preserve it for decades!

My routine is that I wash it every monday night in a closed garage at my station. I start by wetting/scrubbing the wheels with a dedicated mitt and a dedicated rinse/dirty bucket. I then use the common soap bucket to wash the car with a dedicated rinse/dirty bucket for the paint. Finally I use my stations shop vac/leaf blower to blow the car dry.

Here's what I have bought/used so far...

3 white 5-gal buckets
    2 sets of grit guards/washboards
    2 microfiber mitts
    Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo/Conditioner
    Meguiar's Gold Class wax (RETURNED TO STORE)
    Foam gun to hook up to garden hose
    3 Super Towels (yellow with black trimmed edges)
    Collinite 845

I took the Meguiar's wax back after using it for an initial wax because I really didn't care for it. People seemed to rave about the 845 so I'm waiting on that (and some more towels that came with it) in the mail. I know it's my fault but I used too much of the Meguiar's and get it in the heat extractors, panel seams, plastic trim...hell I'm still finding wax two weeks later!

I've considered buying a polisher. But to be honest, even though I've done a bunch of reading, there is so much and I still feel like I'm flying blind here....what a science this seems to be!!!

I've watched all of Ammo NYC's vids, a ton from Chemical Guys, then other random youtubers and read a bunch here.

What I'm looking for is a rock solid routine and list of supplies to keep this car pristine.

I also want a bird crap, sap, bug kit for the trunk and was told to get any detailing spray and a MF towel over on the Mustang forum. People seem to pick up any detailing spray and use it but Optimum's No Rinse (blue) seems to be a product many rave about...again, so many choices!!

Still no clue what to use for the cloth seats, vinyl wrapped dash, gauges, leather wheel, etc. on the interior.

Please let me know your thoughts on what gaps I have in my setup, what equipment I'd benefit from and any changes to my routine that might be needed.

Thanks!!

-Emt1581

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please Critique My Setup

Post pictures! Congratulations on the Mustang GT - a Head Turner I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lowbrau View Post
    Post pictures! Congratulations on the Mustang GT - a Head Turner I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Turns heads but more than anything does it ever bring out the road rage in people!!

Never did figure out how to post pictures. I can post hot links and email pics...but posting pics never worked for me.

-Emt1581

Post Thanks / Like

Need MORE micro towels LOTS MORE

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you an emt?

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend to get a DA polisher. I'm not a professional but my cart sorta makes me seem like one because I've bought so many products based on suggestions I read here. I've settled in with two approaches. My high-end approach will be Wolfgang DGPS and Fuzion wax topper which goes on my garaged car. My other approach is McKee's 360 AIO and Collinite 476s topper which goes on two daily drivers. For polish of an SUV that gets seldom use I have Sonax EX 04-06 which I top with any of the MANY waxes I have accumulated from this sick disease.

If you're just starting out, get a few products you like and stick with it. Don't make the mistake I did. I have so many expensive, premium products sitting around now waiting to be used. I've got friends coming over to use up some of them but part of the enjoyment is getting new products and trying them out. Try to focus on easy-on/easy-off products if possible. All of the products I mentioned here fall into that category. I'm not an OCD perfectionist so I'm quite happy with less than perfect detailing in terms of paint perfection.

Post Thanks / Like

I got lots and lots lots of microfiber towels there is never enough towels I have them different colors as personal preference (Waffer microfiber towels for drying, Red for drying, Blue for removing waxes, Green for glass, Yellow for interior, Black for wheels). Get a PC 7424 XP it is nearly impossible to damage the paint (unless you drop the machine directly to your car) with 5.5" pads.

For interior I personally tend to us CG Inner Clean (there are other ones as well that may be better, your choice to chose) and VRP which I use for the interior and wheels. As for leather I am still searching for a good one since the current product tends to leave a potent smell of leather and slippery feeling which I hate. You are pretty set up unless you want to get [optional] a clay bar and lube (to remove contaminants off the paint). But like Route 246 said try to get small amount of products and see which one you prefer and go with that, there are plenty of products out there to try. I currently have about 6 different waxes (had a friend give me a discount at the store at the time) and 3 sealants (thank to my buddy for the discount at the time). Before purchasing any premium waxes make sure its not just marketing products, I know of one that is currently like that. Please do post picture as my brother has a 2006 Mustang GT (Black) in which I tend to maintain it for him.
    "I don't consider myself to be the best.. and I don't like compliments.. they distract me." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot get some good wheel brushes and wheel cleaner like in a example Iron-X, if you like also some soft brushes for the interior that will not damage your consol and seats.
    "I don't consider myself to be the best.. and I don't like compliments.. they distract me." - Jimi Hendrix

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Id probably add tar remover (probably moot for darker colored cars) and some claybar too (good for tree sap, stubborn crap).
    I recommend dr leather wipes to maintain interior leather.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome
    To
    The
    Addiction

I know there will be a Memorial Day sale around the corner, so keep eyes out for those specials!!
    Get Detailed!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast