autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dust attracted to car like a magnet, tips ?

Hi guys,

I'm detailing my car (outside) but I'm having trouble with dust, both from the polish and outside dust (mostly polish I think), getting stuck on the car as I'm working. I'm getting better at managing the dusting, cleaning more frequent, and not working it as hard, but seems to be a challenge to not have any dusting at all.
    It's like it's statically charged, and as I wipe it away (even with some QD), it shifts around or it comes back.

Does anyone have any tips on how to reduce dust getting stuck to the car? I'm wanting to apply some HD POXY tomorrow, but don't think I can if there's contaminants sitting there.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dust attracted to car like a magnet, tips ?

There's to much pollen right now to detail outside

Post Thanks / Like

U can try a light spritz of water before you start and sometimes during the polish step.

It's not idel to do it outside but it's possible as that's how I polish all my clients cars and never have issues with marring due to dust getting on the paint. Just be more cautious.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    There's to much pollen right now to detail outside
    Agree. We've had heavy amounts of pollen since March and it doesn't seem to let up. Any attempt to do any serious detailing would end up with pollen stuck in the products, so I wouldn't even attempt to detail a car without being under a cover of some sort.

The sad part is I detailed and coated my car a month ago and between all the rain and horrific levels of pollen in the air, it has not been clean since I rolled it out of the garage. I can wash it, but the pollen collects on the surface as I go. By the time I'm done drying off the car, its covered with layer of pollen again and you can't tell it was washed.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Agree. We've had heavy amounts of pollen since March and it doesn't seem to let up. Any attempt to do any serious detailing would end up with pollen stuck in the products, so I wouldn't even attempt to detail a car without being under a cover of some sort.

The sad part is I detailed and coated my car a month ago and between all the rain and horrific levels of pollen in the air, it has not been clean since I rolled it out of the garage. I can wash it, but the pollen collects on the surface as I go. By the time I'm done drying off the car, its covered with layer of pollen again and you can't tell it was washed.
    its brutal, if someone could invent a product to stop pollen from sticking to a car they would be a billionare

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Widget View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm detailing my car (outside) but I'm having trouble with dust, both from the polish and outside dust (mostly polish I think), getting stuck on the car as I'm working. I'm getting better at managing the dusting, cleaning more frequent, and not working it as hard, but seems to be a challenge to not have any dusting at all.
    It's like it's statically charged, and as I wipe it away (even with some QD), it shifts around or it comes back.

Does anyone have any tips on how to reduce dust getting stuck to the car? I'm wanting to apply some HD POXY tomorrow, but don't think I can if there's contaminants sitting there.
    Stop rubbing on your car. Sounds silly I know but you are creating more static by doing so which in turn attracts more dust to your paint, then in turn you wipe it again. It's a frustrating cycle.

You can "ground" the car and that helps.

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed on the pollen. My gray truck looks yellowish/green right now, and there isn't much I can do about it.

Sucks, but that's how it goes.

The pollen usually subsides here on L.I. around the first week of June, so I'll just have to bear it (no grinning) until then. :/
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

No matter what technique you do or what product you put on, your ride will accumulate dust, pollen and many other things. This is something IMO you live with. I have a Black car and just looking at it will start the dust/outside particles to accumulate.

But if you are dead set trying to eliminate it as best you can; dawn or dusk is the best time to wash as well as remove dust. Dawn or dusk the weather is cooler, there is no sunlight beeding down on your ride and things are more calmer overall.

But overall, I just live with the dust. I think it's a battle you can't win.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Kenotek Showroom Detailer is an anti-static product that helps repel dust. It's sold over on Autopia.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to add FinishKare 425 also is an anti-static product.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast