autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need help with my Shelby GT500

I don't know why i'm getting these spots after I used the Flex PE 14-2 150 with the 3" cyan Lake Country hydtotech pads and the Griot's correcting cream. Can someone help me?Need help with my Shelby GT500-img_20170516_161420-jpgNeed help with my Shelby GT500-img_20170516_161407-jpgNeed help with my Shelby GT500-img_20170516_161357-jpgNeed help with my Shelby GT500-img_20170516_161331-jpgNeed help with my Shelby GT500-img_20170516_161321-jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need help with my Shelby GT500

Are the white spots on your bumper the exact same diameter as the blue foam pad?

How did you use the rotary? Did you just stay in that spot?
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you burned the clear coat or at the least hazed it badly. A 3 inch pad on a rotary will do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Looks like you burned the clear coat or at the least hazed it badly. A 3 inch pad on a rotary will do that.
    Pictures are hard to tell what is going on. But the plastic cannot dissipate the heat like sheet metal. It's very, very, very, very easy to burn paint on a bumper cover. I tell customers, don't expect getting scratches out... Better using a filler wax to conceal than try to remove.

On the bight side, a bumper cover is easy to fix... Especially a Mustang. Pop it off and bring it to your body shop and have them fix any existing blems, then do a respray on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Are the white spots on your bumper the exact same diameter as the blue foam pad?

How did you use the rotary? Did you just stay in that spot?
    No the big white spot is my light. And no I did not stay in the same spot. This is a rotary polisher not a da.

Post Thanks / Like

Were those spots there before you started and what you are trying to get out? They look like bad water marks or other corrosive damage to me. If so, I would use a DA with micro fiber pad and *MILD* non diminishing polish like M205. Apologies if you are skilled with the rotary as it would be the pro tool of choice. I have the PE14 too and use it only for final jeweling with Menzerna 3800. For everything else, I use a Rupes/Flex DA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by patricemougeot View Post
    No the big white spot is my light. And no I did not stay in the same spot. This is a rotary polisher not a da.

I know you were using a rotary. I know what the PE-14 is. The reason I ask if you stayed in one spot is because you can easily burn through the clear coat when using a rotary. Even more so if you don't move the polisher around.

I'm just trying to help you out man. If the white spots are your light then I don't know what "spots" you're talking about.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Marc. I know you are trying to help me, I appreciate it don't get me wrong. It's the little white spots around the big light. The white spots are not the same as the pad. The big one is my flashlight to see better. And I know not to stay at the same place with a rotary because of the heat it generates. I saw multiple videos from Mike stating that when using a rotary polisher to always keep moving it because if you don't, you will burn through the paint. The thing I don't understand is I used on the top portion of the bumper where you see the head light from one end of the car to the other and it did not do that. Am I going crazy here??

Post Thanks / Like

Have you considered the fact that the little white spots may be pitting, or pitting with product stuck in them (I'm assuming the polish you used was white?). How many miles are on the vehicle? Do you have PPF (Paint Film Protection such as clear bra or Expel) on the front? Have you tried using Erasure or a rinseless/no-rinse wash solution to wipe down the bumper cover and remove any of the polish residue or polishing oils?

I know you said Shelby GT, but you didn't say what year, how many miles, and what type of driving conditions. Any vehicle (especially black) will show pitting in the front bumper cover after accumulating miles on it.

One factor that comes up a lot is after someone takes the time to polish a panel, and removes years of swirls and scratches, it reveals things not visible before.
    If it's solvent popping or pitting, there isn't much polishing will do.

Taking a second look at your bumper cover, it would appear that it has some amount of mileage or road rash.

Here is an example of some repair work I did on a black bumper cover with 140K miles on it:

Here is the same spot after a wet-sand with 3000, DA with 105 followed by 205. There is still pitting but not as much:

I used the squeegee method of Dr. Color Chip mainly to "fill" the pitting.

At the end of the day, the repair I mention was an enormous job and the bumper cover wasn't as intricate as your Mustang. It was very time consuming, but the alternative was to take it to a body shop. In the future, it not something I'll ever do again, and just let the body shop fill and respray.

Better pictures properly uploaded to the free AGO gallery and posted in the thread may help your cause.
    https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...on-forums.html

Post Thanks / Like

Hi LSN. It's a GT500 2011 with 53,000km on it. Never seen winter.

The correcting compound is white. I do not have PPF on the vehicle at all.

I haven't tried using a rinseless wash solution. I will try that tonight and see what happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast