autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need Black Paint Advice - Swirls on Attitude Black Metallic 2015 Toyota 4Runner

Oh the struggle with black paint! To start out, I bought my Attitude Black Metallic 2015 Toyota 4Runner Trail Premium new in August 2015, and black was not my preferred color due to maintenance to keep it looking good (this is my second black vehicle that I have owned), but I got a killer end of year model deal for what was on the lot, and the trim was exactly what I was looking for. The first winter it went through automated car washes (usually not touch free) many times, and come Spring the paint was a swirly mess. After much research here on the forums and some advice from you guys, I purchased a setup (Polisher is a PC DA 7424XP) and finally got around to detailing the truck in December of 2016. After a good wash, and Nanoskin Autoscrub, I buffed with Menzerna SF polish, to find that I needed something more aggressive. After buffing the entire truck with XMT #3, then following up the entire truck with the Menzerna SF polish, the swirls were gone and the truck was looking good. I sealed with Menzerna PowerLock, and was happy with the results. Fast forward almost 6 months, and after ONLY hand washes done by me, the truck has quite a few swirls again, nowhere near as bad as previously, but more than I was hoping to see. I use a pressure washer with an MTM Foam cannon, using Chemical Guys Honey Dew, with a sheeps wool wash pad, that I rinse in a bucket with a grit gaurd, then dry with Cobra guzzler waffle weave towels. Is there something that I should be doing differently to avoid the swirls, or is there a better seal that will protect against the swirls better? Should I expect to have to buff swirls out every 6 months or less?

Here are a few pics after the detail in December 2016:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Black Paint Advice - Swirls on Attitude Black Metallic 2015 Toyota 4Runner

Black certainly takes a lot more care and effort to keep from scratching and swirls. Well, to show it, that is. Actually most paints, regardless of color suffer from scratches and swirls...it's just that black doesn't let you get away with hiding it.

Before I perfected my weekly wash and dry routine to minimize scratches from these abrasive rubbing actions I was also on about a semi-annual cut and buff schedule. that's about normal for a "correction" schedule on black.

I would suggest the following. Use super light pressure with your mitt while washing. The soap helps to break the adhesive bond of the dirt and you don't need to rub your mitt hard. Use the "drip method" to collect as much water as you can on your final rinse, then blow dry as much of the remaining water you can. Blot dry with WWMF towels and ther shouldn't be much left to dry off. All of these techniques prevent as many friction passes as possible to wash and dry.

As far as sealants go toward preventing swirls and scratches I haven't found any. for me, it comes down to reducing the affects of friction passes while washing and drying. There are some coatings that tout "thicker" layers to help buffer the paint surface but I have no experience to share.

Hey, from where I'm sitting, enjoy the fact you got a great deal on a year end model and with the packages you wanted. Plus the fact it probably looks 10 times better than all the other Toyota's of the same year or even older running around town. You, like me, have incredibally high standards of vehicle appearance but enjoy how sweet it is!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Black Paint Advice - Swirls on Attitude Black Metallic 2015 Toyota 4Runner

Good to know what i have to look firward to...i ha e same color.....

Did you read mike p article on how to wash car gently?
    Its linked in his "final wipe" post which is a great read.

1 takeway from his multiple how to...is to not touch your car in a circular pattern...always go side to side...

This will prevent swirls...a d if you do scratch it may be less swirly....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    Black certainly takes a lot more care and effort to keep from scratching and swirls. Well, to show it, that is. Actually most paints, regardless of color suffer from scratches and swirls...it's just that black doesn't let you get away with hiding it.

Before I perfected my weekly wash and dry routine to minimize scratches from these abrasive rubbing actions I was also on about a semi-annual cut and buff schedule. that's about normal for a "correction" schedule on black.

I would suggest the following. Use super light pressure with your mitt while washing. The soap helps to break the adhesive bond of the dirt and you don't need to rub your mitt hard. Use the "drip method" to collect as much water as you can on your final rinse, then blow dry as much of the remaining water you can. Blot dry with WWMF towels and ther shouldn't be much left to dry off. All of these techniques prevent as many friction passes as possible to wash and dry.

As far as sealants go toward preventing swirls and scratches I haven't found any. for me, it comes down to reducing the affects of friction passes while washing and drying. There are some coatings that tout "thicker" layers to help buffer the paint surface but I have no experience to share.

Hey, from where I'm sitting, enjoy the fact you got a great deal on a year end model and with the packages you wanted. Plus the fact it probably looks 10 times better than all the other Toyota's of the same year or even older running around town. You, like me, have incredibally high standards of vehicle appearance but enjoy how sweet it is!
    ^this^ I would invest in a leaf blower. I would also look into a paint coating rather than using a paint sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a black Mercedes that I clean almost daily either by WW, detail spray, or California Duster. I've polished and achieved an almost swirl free finish. But my cleaning habits invariably induce swirls.Bottom line, I decided against expecting perfection and live with some swirls. To me, its a trade off since I want to preserve my cc by limiting my polishing. I have not yet tried a coating but will.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dennis hiip View Post
    I have a black Mercedes that I clean almost daily either by WW, detail spray, or California Duster. I've polished and achieved an almost swirl free finish. But my cleaning habits invariably induce swirls.Bottom line, I decided against expecting perfection and live with some swirls. To me, its a trade off since I want to preserve my cc by limiting my polishing. I have not yet tried a coating but will.
    Car Pro makes a polish called Essence Plus that is made to hide swirls and yet will not remove the coating. Being it has no abrasives, it will not remove clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dennis hiip View Post
    That routine might work well for harder black German paint, but if that black Toyota paint is anything like the crimson metallic on my wife's car, simply touching the paint can often cause a swirl. I've caused marring with my fingertip! Yes, my hands were clean.

I'd follow all the advice to touch the car as little as possible. For our Toyota, I found a coating to be a huge help. It won't protect from swirls, but cleaning becomes so much easier and you can use a very light touch to avoid causing as many wash-induced swirls.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the advice, unfortunately that is kind of what I expected to hear... Desertnate, what coating are you referring to? Does anybody have any experience with Poorboy's World Black Hole Show Glaze?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by morpoohiasx View Post
    Thank you for all the advice, unfortunately that is kind of what I expected to hear... Desertnate, what coating are you referring to? Does anybody have any experience with Poorboy's World Black Hole Show Glaze?
    Do a search on coatings, there are so many to choose from.

Post Thanks / Like

Check yourself on that wool wash pad. Maybe switch to microfiber mitt. With my black 4runner i'd use my clean leaf blower to start the drying process. Your drying towel may contribute swirls be gentle. I was on a 6 month polishing and sealant schedule. Deep in spring and light before winter snow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast