autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Topper choices for Optimum Glosscoat?

Hi all: I just finished correcting and applying Opti Glosscoat on my Basalt Black Porsche. I've been using OptiCoat 2.0 or for 5+ years but outside of Sonax PNS (and some Opti spray wax every now and then), haven't experimented much with topping it. I was going through my supplies yesterday and found some Zaino Z5, which I used to love on darker cars.

So, a couple questions.

1. What is your favorite topper for Glosscoat and why do you use it (better shine, water behavior, bird dropping protection, etc)?

2. Has anyone experimented with using Z5 or Z2 as a topper - with no Z1 or ZFX? I might try it out as it adds a lot of slickness and helps mask minor marring/swirls. I am not sure it it will last more than one wash with the coating under it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Topper choices for Optimum Glosscoat?

I personally don't understand why top a coating that's meant to last at least 12 months with anything else? Not to mention you will conceal the hydrophobic and dirt shedding abilities of the coating, hence wasting money on it.

Me personally perhaps use a silica based rinseless wash like Carpro Ech2o?

I haven't coated mine yet, waiting for the weather to get better. I don't wonder what will happen to all the spray waxes and others I have.

I used a lot of Zaino back in the day, and personally think there are much better options that are easier to use sealants (Sonax, Meguiars, McKees, etc etc). I would leave it as is and not top it.

Post Thanks / Like

Topper choices for Optimum Glosscoat?

You bring up a good point, but topping it can definitely alter the appearance. But most importantly, it's just something else to do. One of the things that kind of sucks about a coating is that there is little need for tinkering, and while most are happy with that, the balance of us simply get bored too easily .

ps - the only reason I asked about z5 is that I have some in my cabinet right now. I also have PNS and a sample of wax I got from AG previously (I think Poorboys but don't remember off hand)

Post Thanks / Like

I have Optimum Gloss Coat on my wife's Durango RT. It is most often washed with ONR. In the winter I occasionally use ONRWW. In the rare instances it gets a two bucket wash I use Optimum Car Wash, that's it.
    2017 Phantom Black Metallic Chevy SS, automatic, skylight, plus unused wheel in the boot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Typerx View Post
    You bring up a good point, but topping it can definitely alter the appearance. But most importantly, it's just something else to do. One of the things that kind of sucks about a coating is that there is little need for tinkering, and while most are happy with that, the balance of us simply get bored too easily .

ps - the only reason I asked about z5 is that I have some in my cabinet right now. I also have PNS and a sample of wax I got from AG previously (I think Poorboys but don't remember off hand)

Oh I get you brother that's why I'm worried about when I coat my car. I'm always tempted to top things or try something.

I do like Carpro Ech2o as a rinseless wash and I use at the same dilution as a "detail spray" and it adds gloss and slickness.

I have noticed darkening effect from PNS and BSD. Keep in mind, I'm not coated

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Typerx View Post
    I would have to disagree with this statement. Proper care is still needed with a coating. In saying that, you can top to your hearts desire. Whatever you put on will not last that long due to the coatings self cleaning effect. It's just not needed. Give it a go.

Quite a few folks use opti-seal as a drying aid with Gloss Coat. Optimum Car Wax works very well on Gloss Coat. Ech2o looks great and plays well with Gloss Coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterpaul View Post
    I have Optimum Gloss Coat on my wife's Durango RT. It is most often washed with ONR. In the winter I occasionally use ONRWW. In the rare instances it gets a two bucket wash I use Optimum Car Wash, that's it.
    That's good maintenance. The instant detailer works very well with Gloss Coat as well. Gives it some nice gloss in the short term of things. Ech2o maybe something else you may want to try one day. Gives a different look in gloss than the instant detailer.

Post Thanks / Like

As others have mentioned ECH2O is a great product with many uses. I have a vehicle with Optimum Gloss Coat and use an ECH2O detail spray mixture as a topper.

2oz of ECH20, 2oz of Reload and 28oz of distilled water. I spray it directly on the paint, spread with one mf towel and then follow up with a second clean mf towel immediately after spreading with the first mf.

I think you'd be happy using this as a topper as it amps up the gloss and has great hydrophobic properties.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I forgot to mention that my usual car wash routine (on my coated cars) includes ONRWW or Optimum car wash and I use Optimum instant detailer as a drying aid if I don't use OCW.

Post Thanks / Like

Gyeon Cure is designed as a maintenance product for Sio2 coatings. It's not expensive, it's easy to use, and they claim it extends of the life of a coating @ 90%. I use it once a month.
    BTW I do not work for Gyeon, I am just a hobbyist in AZ. LOL

Another product that does the same thing is CarPro Reload. I have not tried this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Toppers...for Coatings (and their
    much heralded/hyped benefits)?

Reminds me of Freddy Fender's
    ol' country/pop music classic:
    "Wasted Days and Wasted Nights"
    (Just change a few words here & there).

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast