autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Sonax PNS vs Gyeon CanCoat

Hey autogeeks,

I've been eyeing these two LSP's the past few weeks and want to try them out. They've both gotten very good reviews and I'm having a hard time deciding which I should choose, they seem quite similar. So if you've tried either of them I'd love to hear your thoughts and if you've used both even better! Interested in the application and removal(both seem to be WOWO), the durability of the sealant(both claim 6 months), how close is CanCoat to an actual coating?

Sonax Polymer Net Shield, sonax polymer netshield, sonax profiline polymer netshield

GYEON Q2 CanCoat - 200 ml

Pics would be great too, who doesn't love looking at shiny cars!?

Thanks in advance!

-David

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sonax PNS vs Gyeon CanCoat

This video has some good information on can coat. Seems to have quite a bit of quartz based on watching it. In the video Jeff states 6 months to a year of durability.

Post Thanks / Like

Sonax PNS vs Gyeon CanCoat

I have used both products and both are really great choices.

PNS has a reputation of being a bit finicky to apply, but I had no issues with it. Great beading, looks, and decent durability with this one. Also sheds dirt nicely and makes it easier to keep the car clean. The only real "negative" to PNS is the feel. If you like a slick finish in addition to gloss and beading you will be disappointed. PNS is kinda grabby and is definitely not slick. If the feel of the paint is not important to you, then PNS followed by an occasional BSD topper is a great combo.

CanCoat on the other hand has very similar attributes, with the primary difference being it is silky smooth and slick. It has great gloss, is super hydrophobic and keeps the car cleaner for longer (as does PNS). The application is easy. I did two coats of CanCoat on my DD for the winter (waited 24 hours between coats) and it has worked like a champ. I used Ech2o and Ech2o + reload, plus probably a spritz or two of Cure and BSD over the past few months for maintenance and it has been great. Probably time for a light polish and a fresh reapplication now. The only real "negative" that comes to mind with CanCoat is it does have a strong solvent smell. Apply in a well ventilated area only. It is a really great product though.

Having used both PNS and CanCoat, I would have to give the edge to CanCoat. No disrespect to the Sonax offering but I just prefer a slick surface and that smooth feel to my paint. You can't make a bad choice between these two, but for me it's CanCoat.
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

I have never used PNS. However, CanCoat was extremely easy to apply. It was as slick as glass from day one. This Wednesday will be 5 months since I applied CanCoat. Still heading crazy beads and still slick as glass. Also the self cleaning is still really good.

Disclaimer my car is a daily(73miles) driver. That's garage kept at night and gets Geyon Bathe+ once a month.

It will definitely last 6months. Hoping it will get close to the 12month claim with the monthly booster wash.

The picks are in dirty panels at 4.5 months.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for guys!

The guz-I actually watched that video a few days ago and was set on PNS before that, but watching it has got me thinking a bit harder between the two, haha. Btw happy belated!

BadgerRivFan-awesome review for both products, happy to see you've used both and can comment on them. Thanks for explaining your maintenance steps as well as I'm used to traditional LSP's and wondered what would work best for prolonging the attributes of CanCoat and its protection as well.

Tc99m-Awesome beading for 4+ months! I too am using it on a black daily driver that's garage kept and sees about a third of your miles a day, 25-35. Besides monthly bathe+ washes, what else are you doing to maintain the finish if anything?

That about does it for me, I'd still love to try both products, but I'll be purchasing the CanCoat and a few Gyeon products to maintain and support it, thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

340 ml PNS $29.99

200 ml can coat $49.99

40% less product than PNS at a 40% higher price.

I have an use PNS and am very happy with it. I doubt based upon the above numbers I 'll be trying can coat any time soon since both products give about the same durability. I'll take 40% more product at a 40% lower price any day.

PNS:

I have it on my wifes car too, washed it last week with a sample of Sonax Gloss Shampoo and the results were excellent. The beading was right back. I really like that shampoo. Only 1 oz in 3 gallons of water was how I mixed it.

SONAX Gloss Shampoo Concentrate, concentrated auto shampoo, car shampoo, car wash, Sonax auto wash

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

"Besides monthly bathe+ washes, what else are you doing to maintain the finish if anything?".

I do a weekly N-914 rinseless wash. I do use some spray wax on the hood. I use Sonax Rapid Wax, DG Aguawax, HD Express wax and WG Fusion as drying aids. Depends on the mood I'm in for whatever one.

The rest of the car has had no toppers. I want to see just how well CanCoat holds up.

FYI CanCoat is no longer in an Aerosol can. It is a spray pump. I used very little product. No where near the wasted product as with aerosol delivery systems.

I estimate I'll get at least five applications out of this one can. That is with two coats per applications. On a midwife sedan.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Custmsprty- I've looked over your PNS threads a couple times, the rogue looks great the metallic just pops! Thanks for the feedback on PNS. The pricing and volume difference in product is what's made it difficult to choose, especially with them seeming to be so similar. I will try both but I'm more intrigued by CanCoat.

Tc99m- I feel like I'm missing out, I haven't bought N-914 yet and all I'm reading about it is amazing reviews, I do however have a full gallon of D114 so the need isn't there yet. Looks like it holds up quite well without any toppers, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear/see. So you expect to get up to 10 applications?

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet!!! I found some PNS in my shed. I think I'm gonna do a triple side by side. Pns/can coat/can coat over essence since it's supposed to be a true coating.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post
    Custmsprty- I've looked over your PNS threads a couple times, the rogue looks great the metallic just pops! Thanks for the feedback on PNS. The pricing and volume difference in product is what's made it difficult to choose, especially with them seeming to be so similar. I will try both but I'm more intrigued by CanCoat.

Tc99m- I feel like I'm missing out, I haven't bought N-914 yet and all I'm reading about it is amazing reviews, I do however have a full gallon of D114 so the need isn't there yet. Looks like it holds up quite well without any toppers, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear/see. So you expect to get up to 10 applications?
    $49.99 divided by 200 = .2499 per ml x 340 = $84.98 which is what PNS would cost per can if they were charging can coats price OMG!!

That's what 40% and 40% ends up being, not for me, that's all I can say. I doubt can coat is 80% better, if that's the case it needs to give 80% better longevity.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast