autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Topper over McKee's 37 Paint Coating

I've been contemplating which coating to use on my wife's new white Ford Explorer and am doing a little research into McKee's 37 Paint Coating for a few reasons:

• Claimed longevity is 2 years. I don't need anything longer because I'll probably want to polish again in that time frame.
    • Price is right.
    • Looks to be extremely easy to apply.

Even though the car will be coated, I still enjoy adding a topper every couple of washes to bring back the slickness and gloss and just mainly for the enjoyment of it.

My question is to those out you who have used the M37 Paint Coating. What would you recommend to top it with? I'm assuming since it is a glass coating that something like Reload would be appropriate, is that a good assumption?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Steve
    2014 Audi Q5 3.0T
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport

Post Thanks / Like
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Topper over McKee's 37 Paint Coating

Steve
    2014 Audi Q5 3.0T
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport

Post Thanks / Like

I've used all kinds and combinations of waxes and sealants and pseudo coatings over the past few years. I have C quartz and EVO duo but have not used them yet and most likley never will so they will go down as wasted purchases.

After reading your post and many like it before it, my biggest question is, if a coating is really a coating then why should it need any "topper" or "refresher". My premise being the alleged longevity of any said coating it should stand on it's own for the time quoted by the manufacturer.

But if you market products that last for "years" then you potentially market yourself out of business.

The other thing I like about your post is many of us just like to apply stuff to our vehicles whether we need to or not.

I just had to get this off my chest as it's kind of an "oxymoron" for an AG'er to coat the car so we don't touch it but we like to top it, wipe on it with detail sprays (silica sprays for coatings) of all different kinds etc.

So for me it's sealants, waxes, and Polish Angel

Thanks for indulging me and top away!!!
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

IME topping it with Carpro Ech20 @10:1 worked better than good.. Really brought back the tight beading that I like to see on the finish.

Post Thanks / Like

custmsprty,

Totally agree with you! All that work to get something sexy with teflon characteristics and then go off rails by topping off with something!

You mentioned Polish Angel, I remember reading something you wrote sometime back and can't remember why you like it so much. Can you elaborate or link
    me to your article. I would like to read your perception.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    custmsprty,

Totally agree with you! All that work to get something sexy with teflon characteristics and then go off rails by topping off with something!

You mentioned Polish Angel, I remember reading something you wrote sometime back and can't remember why you like it so much. Can you elaborate or link
    me to your article. I would like to read your perception.

Tom
    If I recall I don't think I washed it but a few times and maybe topped it after 6-8 months with BF Midnight Sun Spray Wax. That's my "real world" testing procedure. If you apply something after every wash and wash once a week then their is really no way to asess the longevity claims of a product IMHO.

Polish Angel Esclate and Viking Coat

PA Viking Coat, but be sure to visit the link for the full story:

This is just sick wetness:

This was many, many months later after the harsh Floirda summer sun and torrential rains topping Viking Coat with BFMS

Since on Autopia they only carry a limited selection you'll need to PM me to learn about the PA Combo on my GC these days. I will most likely never use anything else on it as long as I own it. This "combo" is the best I've used specifically designed for black paint.

As this is a garage queen I guess this will last indefinitely.

If I recall I got in a sun shower back in October and it was dry in minutes at 70 LOL.

2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Topper over McKee's 37 Paint Coating

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    I've used all kinds and combinations of waxes and sealants and pseudo coatings over the past few years. I have C quartz and EVO duo but have not used them yet and most likley never will so they will go down as wasted purchases.

After reading your post and many like it before it, my biggest question is, if a coating is really a coating then why should it need any "topper" or "refresher". My premise being the alleged longevity of any said coating it should stand on it's own for the time quoted by the manufacturer.

But if you market products that last for "years" then you potentially market yourself out of business.

The other thing I like about your post is many of us just like to apply stuff to our vehicles whether we need to or not.

I just had to get this off my chest as it's kind of an "oxymoron" for an AG'er to coat the car so we don't touch it but we like to top it, wipe on it with detail sprays (silica sprays for coatings) of all different kinds etc.

So for me it's sealants, waxes, and Polish Angel

Thanks for indulging me and top away!!!
    I totally agree with you. However IME with this particular coating, the tight beading faded rather quikly and I noticed it came completely back to life after being topped with Ech2o.

But as far as what really matters most [at least to me] neither of those 2 could prevent a major layer of contaminants to bond within 3 months...

I fiddle around testing new products sometimes, but I'm more than content with what works for me as far as paint protection for the time being... But if I was in the market for a paint coating, I think I'd consider 1 of the upper level Gyeon paint coatings [I'm not sure if it's Mohs or the other 1] but 1 of their coatings makes a bold statement in regards to being able to protect from bonded contaminants [a statement that's pretty darn rare these days] I like when a product makes bold statements, because that means they're putting their money where their mouth is, and if it doesn't live up to their claims, then we all know what happens next...

I guess it's true sometimes, if you want top quality you gotta pay for it. Luckily I'm not desperate for that coating at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    If I recall I don't think I washed it but a few times and maybe topped it after 6-8 months with BF Midnight Sun Spray Wax. That's my "real world" testing procedure. If you apply something after every wash and wash once a week then their is really no way to asess the longevity claims of a product IMHO.
    That has been my thought although it is likely I'll still develop a few swirls I'll want to polish away. It occurs to me that if I top every couple of weeks then maybe I don't need the coating, except maybe to add a little more scratch resistance.

Your work is fabulous by the way. I'm drooling.

One more thought... in reading a couple of these threads it appears that some people may be having some longevity problems with the M37, particularly on lower panels. I live in Wisconsin so that concerns me. If/when I coat maybe I'll spend a little more on Gteqniq CSL or Cquartz.

Steve
    2014 Audi Q5 3.0T
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1953hogan View Post
    That has been my thought although it is likely I'll still develop a few swirls I'll want to polish away. It occurs to me that if I top every couple of weeks then maybe I don't need the coating, except maybe to add a little more scratch resistance.

Your work is fabulous by the way. I'm drooling.

One more thought... in reading a couple of these threads it appears that some people may be having some longevity problems with the M37, particularly on lower panels. I live in Wisconsin so that concerns me. If/when I coat maybe I'll spend a little more on Gteqniq CSL or Cquartz.
    I personally do not like any coatings that "FLASH". I just don't have the patience to deal with them or the time. I don't like "FINICKY" products.

What I love about Polish Angel, no worries, no redos and plenty of time for a water or beer break. And I've used the stuff in 100+ degree July garage heat in humid Florida. I wouldn't even go there with any coating that "flashes"
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast