autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Topper over McKee's 37 Paint Coating

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpacker92 View Post
    I'm not sure why so many get caught up in this conundrum about topping or not topping. Detailing is one great big experimentation and finding what works for you and what you like. If every detailer went strictly by manufacturers recommendations we would have missed out on so many methods and combinations over the years. People branching out and trying things is what makes this hobby/business so great. Look right in this thread and you see where a quality detailer, pdqgp, has come up with his own concoction that has proven great results for him and I'll probably be trying out soon myself to see if I like it.

When I got into this a decade ago I constantly changed LSPs and loved doing it, however as life, my career, kids, them playing sports, coaching, etc started to take over a tremendous amount of my free time I began to look for longevity in my LSP. I used Opticoat back in 2010 for the first time on my vehicles and every car I've had since I've put a coating on as soon as I got it home. I have Cquartz topped with EXO on my Camaro and my wife's Yukon, and have CSL topped with EXO on my daughter's Hyundai Veloster. I will do a topper of DG Aquawax on the Camaro and Veloster, and Reload on the Yukon after every wash (that takes absolutely no time now). Heck I've even started doing a monthly regimen of McKee's Hydro Blue on each car after a wash just to try and increase the longevity of the coatings. If doing a 10 minute topper after each wash provides me with 25 months of longevity vs 24 months without it, then I consider that extra month of time gained with my family and life a win. I've been at this a while and I'm of the firm belief that the toppers increase the longevity of the LSP, regardless of traditional or coating, and in this point in my life that's what I'm after.

So if you want to do it, then by all means do it. If you don't think it adds any value then by all means don't do it, but the experimentation, trial and error is what has transformed this hobby/business for the better. Some of the tricks and combinations we use today were discovered and luckily made public on great detailing forums like this one.
    Experimentation great but si02/ceramic coatings are not compatible with wax. That's just the way it is. You can experiment all you want but it's not going to make it look better that's just a fact. At least from my understanding on the topic

Post Thanks / Like

I have Mckees 37 coating on my white Malibu. So far my favorite drying aid topper is Gyeon Cure. It is designed for exactly this purpose: drying aid and a Sio2 refresher. The look is very glossy. I've not had any streaks with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Experimentation great but si02/ceramic coatings are not compatible with wax. That's just the way it is. You can experiment all you want but it's not going to make it look better that's just a fact. At least from my understanding on the topic
    Not sure where you came up with the topping with a wax unless you are referring to my statement about using DG Aquawax, but that is about as far from a wax as you can get. It's actually a spray sealant but anyway, I've seen a number of Manufacturers' Facts be disproven over the years and thus seen tremendous evolution of the industry. And furthermore a subjective notion of "looks better or not" can't be quantified as fact.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpacker92 View Post
    Not sure where you came up with the topping with a wax unless you are referring to my statement about using DG Aquawax, but that is about as far from a wax as you can get. It's actually a spray sealant but anyway, I've seen a number of Manufacturers' Facts be disproven over the years and thus seen tremendous evolution of the industry. And furthermore a subjective notion of "looks better or not" can't be quantified as fact.
    Waxes and sealants are incompatible with coatings. A sealant is just a synthetic wax. The chemistry is not compatible there's plenty of articles around explaining why but you can do whatever you want.

Post Thanks / Like

Wax and Sio2 don't mix ?

How do products like dodo juice super natural nano hybrid work ?

http://www.autogeek.net/dodo-hybrid-nano-paste-100.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Waxes and sealants are incompatible
    with coatings. A sealant is just a
    synthetic wax. The chemistry is
    not compatible

there's plenty of articles around explaining
    why but you can do whatever you want.
    Would you be surprised to discover that there
    are Coatings that actually contain Wax?

I don't see why those wax-infused Coatings
    can't be topped with other Waxes---whether
    they're natural or synthetic---if a person
    should desire to do so. How about you?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

You can top 37 with fast wax. Hydro blue etc. probably even the high def sealant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Fast wax if I remember correctly has some of the "secret sauce" or maybe it's the mckees qd that does. Hydro blue should work just fine

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    Fast wax if I remember correctly has some of the "secret sauce" or maybe it's the mckees qd that does. Hydro blue should work just fine

Not sure about those two but high def paint sealant does

Mckee's High Def Paint Sealant Review

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@McKees37 View Post

I'm glad you pointed that out. High Def Paint Sealant contains some of the "good stuff" found in McKee's 37 Paint Coating, so it's going to take a full week before it's 100% cured. Can it get wet within that time frame? With exception to the first 6 hours after being applied, the vehicle can absolutely get wet. However, it's not recommended that you wash the vehicle (not that you would need to anyway because nothing sticks to the paint ).

Post Thanks / Like

Found it

McKee's 37 High Gloss Detail Spray has some of the secret sauce that is found in Paint Coating. I would recommend using it as your maintenance product.
    From Nick

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast