autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

First time applying CarPro CQuartz UK - looking for Feedback on my process

Hi Everyone,

I will be attempting my first ever application of CarPro C-Quartz UK. I was hoping I could show my plan and see if there was any feedback from the group. The products have already been purchased so I can’t really change the products I am using….unless of course, you spot some sort of catastrophic mistake. I am more interested in whether or not I am taking the right steps.

I have already completed a Car Surface inspection to make I sure I understand the level of correction needed where the problem areas lie. I have looked after the car since first buying it and the paint, overall, needs very little correction.

Give car an initial water spray with pressure washer, paying particular attention to the lower rocker boards to loosen or remove any significant debris.

Load Foam Gun with 5 oz. of a Wash soap used for stripping wax and sealants and use Lambs Wool Wash Mitts to work in the suds, remove debris and any remaining wax coating. Full rinse the car using the pressure washer.

Use CarPro Iron X Soap in the Foam Gun and then use the soap as lubricant for Nanoskin Fine Grade Wash/Claying mitts to fully decontaminate the paint. Dry off the car.

Use CarPro Reload to make sure surface is clear of any sealants, waxes and residual polishes.

Using CarPro Essence and Orange 6.5” Hybrid Finish Lake Country Pads on my BOSS G21 due a test spot to make sure that the level of correction is enough. Once settling on the correct Pad/Essence combo complete the remainder of the car. Wipe surface down with Microfiber cloth after each section is completed.

Once correction is complete, use a 6.5” Finish Gold Pad with CarPro Essence to bring out the maximum shine. Wipe surface down with Microfiber cloths.

Apply Cquartz UK Edition with the sponge applicator and microfiber suede patches. Complete a panel and let dry until product starts flashing. Wipe down panel with microfiber suede cloths. Inspect application for high spots and remove any high spots with microfiber suede cloths. Repeat this process until entire car is complete.

1 hour after application use CarPro Reload as a final finish.

Thoughts on my process ? Any suggestions ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First time applying CarPro CQuartz UK - looking for Feedback on my process

No need to apply Essence twice. I like to use Essence with a microfiber pad. The microfiber pad gives you some cut while heating up the Essence curing it. If you don't like microfiber pads you could use CarPro Gloss Pads to apply Essence.

You could also leave out the first application of Reload. I believe you meant Reset (a wash). No need to wash again after Iron-X Soap wash. Actually I would replace Iron-X soap with Reset. The foam from Reset could be used as a lube for your clay mitt, but I prefer a dedicated clay lube for safety.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe you made a typo in the middle of your post, mentioning the use of "Reload", where I know you actually meant to say "Eraser".

Some might say you wouldn't have to use Eraser at this point, but I believe it surely wouldn't hurt anything to do.

If as you say, your paint doesn't need much in the way of correction (but might need a bit more after the nanoskin decon) then you might be also able to reduce the amount of correction needed, and go straight to the finest correction pads with Essence.

Test spot with the mildest procedures should be tried first perhaps, then see what you get? If not, then go to the coarser Pads first.

I wouldn't say actually that one lets CQuartz "dry" before smoothing-leveling.

That on large panels such as a hood, or roof, I would break those panels into smaller sections, apply Cquartz then level immediately after working a smaller, 20"x20" section, that you might take too long a time period before applying and leveling on large areas, that the coating could then give you problems.

I don't think I'll get in trouble, posting the link to this Video, but here's Corey himself applying UK to a Mustang, and note the time he takes to apply, then wipe. While it looks like there's a break in the video between the time he applies, to the time he begins to level-smooth, there really isn't.

As they say, a picture says a thousand words, and I hope this vid provides the basic understanding of what needs to be done, and how.

In fact I'd almost say he was moving a bit "slow" in this vid.

While one can use the Carpro Suede MF Towels to level-smooth, one can also use a couple of very high quality MF Towels, such as the Carpro Boa, or perhaps a Towel like the Gold Plush.

If you throw them in the washer immediately after use, you may be able to save them, and not have to toss them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rAM78oDffM

Post Thanks / Like

I never used Iron-X Soap, so don't know if your processes are correct, and perhaps you know more than I in this regard.

When I say "level immediately" after your initially applying CQuartz UK, I would say on average, and within proper application temperatures, you have a minute or two to come behind to level-smooth with no issues.

To wait longer, perhaps in the time frame of 5 to perhaps 10 minutes or longer, you might very well have a problem. Meaning you will not rid the paint of high spots by wiping, and will have to then wait to again re-polish those areas to fix.

I say this, because a fellow I was helping with a CQuartz UK Application here in this state ran into this particular problem, it appeared that he did wait too long. I think he said he did an entire side of his Subaru applying before he came back to level-smooth.

As for Corey's Video doing the Door on the Mustang, I'll assume Corey has much more experience than I do with CQuartz, but perhaps if it was myself, I might've broken the door into 2, and maybe even 3 sections, apply, then wipe smooth.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback guys

I did make an error in my initial process list. After decontaminating with the Iron X soap , I meant to write that I will use CarPro Eraser.

MarkD51 I actually referenced that CQuartz UK video to help create my process list. Duly noted on the waiting time for correcting high spots.

rlmccarty2000 - thanks for the feedback on the use of Essence. Saving an extra application step will save me time and money.

Here is my updated process;

Give car an initial water spray with pressure washer, paying particular attention to the lower rocker boards to loosen or remove any significant debris.

Load Foam Gun with 5 oz. of a Wash soap used for stripping wax and sealants and use Lambs Wool Wash Mitts to work in the suds, remove debris and as much wax coating and sealant as the product will reasonably allow. Full rinse the car using the pressure washer.

Use CarPro Iron X Soap in the Foam Gun and then use the soap as lubricant for Nanoskin Fine Grade Wash/Claying mitts to fully decontaminate the paint. Dry off the car.

Use CarPro Eraser to make sure surface is 100% clear of any sealants, waxes and residual polishes.

Using CarPro Essence and Orange 6.5” Hybrid Finish Lake Country Pads on my BOSS G21 due a test spot to make sure that the level of correction is enough. Once settling on the correct Pad/Essence combo complete the remainder of the car. Wipe surface down with Microfiber cloth after each section is completed.

Apply Cquartz UK Edition with the sponge applicator and microfiber suede patches. Complete a panel and let dry until product starts flashing. Wipe down panel with microfiber suede cloths. Inspect application for high spots and remove any high spots with microfiber suede cloths. Repeat this process until entire car is complete.

1 hour after application use CarPro Reload as a final finish.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

The nanoskin pads won't like the ironX. It's too strong you will eventually ruin the nano skin pads.

Post Thanks / Like

If I may piggyback this thread...

The directions call for the application of Reload afterwards. Based on some of the threads I've read, I thought this was only recommended if the paint may be exposed to water before the proper curing time? Plus I've read of people having streak issues.

I'll be coating brand new wheels (not mounted yet) indoors. Would applying Reload still be recommended?

And as far as curing time, after 24 hours, its good to go? And then a minimum of 7 days before exposure to any soaps, correct?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idriveblackcars View Post
    The nanoskin pads won't like the ironX. It's too strong you will eventually ruin the nano skin pads.
    I don't think the IronX soap is the same as the Iron X spray...I believe. Have you or someone you know had personal experience with Nanoskin pads not playing nice with IronX soap or are you taking a logical guess that it might be problematic ?

Post Thanks / Like

In the video MarkD51 linked above, it shows him user eraser after reflect. I thought one of the perks was reflect and essence didn't need to be erased to work with cquartz?

Post Thanks / Like

Reflect you still do bur essence you do not since that is a polish/primer for cquartz. The best rule I've found is to apply uk in small sections, count to 30 and then proceed to level. That's basically it. Always wipe an area larger than what you applied initially.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast