autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

First EVER Brand new car, Looking for opinions/advice on keeping it MINT

Hey all,

I just purchased my first ever brand new vehicle, a 2016 Ford Focus ST in Tangerine Scream. It is a tri-Coat paint that is very stunning in person. I have had some experience with detailing, working at various detail shops and doing my own vehicles (with MUCH help from this forum). I did a pretty extensive paint "rehab" on a 1999 Mustang GT I owned about 6 years ago:

Pretty bad swirling and general neglect

I actually got pretty decent results using Meguiars Ultimate Compound and a PC7424XP:

That car was pretty much THE car I took OCD care of. I've owned many vehicles since then and generally treated them to 2-bucket wash methods and claying/waxing but since I have a brand new car now, the level of neglect is completely up to me to determine. I live in southern Alberta, so it gets quite cold here in the winter and in the past with other vehicles, I have resorted to using do-it-yourself carwashes and their terrible soap brushes. I did not have any casualties as I was very careful with the brush, but I do want to try to do waterless/rinseless washes when possible in the winter.

This car had 50kms on it when I purchased it, and I haven't so much as washed it once since I got it as I am waiting on some detailing products to arrive so I can give it the attention it deserves.
    I have ordered some Iron-X and purchased a proper Meguiars microfibre drying towel (I was using an ABSORBER rubber/chamois towel in the past and just recently realized how detrimental it can be for paint if it is not ABSOLUTELY immaculately clean).

Here is the car as it sits:

This colour is VERY hard to photograph properly

My process I'm thinking of doing is as follows:

1. 2-Bucket wash, using ONR as a lubricant as well as soap
    2. Iron-X and possibly clay if needed
    3. Pinnacle XMT 360 to clean, polish, and seal the paint using a PC7424XP to apply with polishing pad.

I also have some Klasse Sealant sitting around as well. Would that be a better option than the XMT 360? There are really no swirls except the occasional small area from the dealership's crappy wash jobs

I am wondering if that is a good start and if applying wax over this after my next wash is a good way of getting through the summer months. Brake dust is a MAJOR issue with these cars, so looking for good ways of getting that sh*t off the rims/tires as well. I have some Pinnacle APC that I am going to try. I was also thinking of sealing the rims with klasse.

I am basically looking for maximum protection/durability as the car is going to be sitting outside almost 100% of the time for the foreseeable future and I won't be able to spend every weekend touching it up. UV protection is also a priority

For a wax, I have Some Concours P21S that I have been using for years which I would like to layer on top of the sealant.

Thanks in advance for any help

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First EVER Brand new car, Looking for opinions/advice on keeping it MINT

The Mustang looks good after correction; ultimate compound is pretty good stuff... have used it on a couple of newer cars to take care of scratches, etc. My first thoughts take me to Mckees 37 Coating as I've applied it to 3 new cars and have to suggest that for better/longer-lasting protection than a wax. It isn't very difficult to use and has always left a fantastic, smooth and glossy finish. I've had customers tell me that strangers have come up to them to tell them how good their vehicles look... just a thought if you really want durable protection. PS... I have to tell the story of the first time I used the Mckees - have spiders everywhere at my place - a spider landed on a side panel while I was wiping it down before delivery ( 24 hrs cured ) and it slide right off the car... made me laugh out loud.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the Polish Angel Viking coat sister site Autopia carries it. And since your in Alberta the local Canadian vendor is in the same province. I have had fantastic results in southern Ontario with it

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Once its clean and swirl free, Gtechniq Crystal Serum or Crystal Serum Light if you are doing it yourself and top with Gtechniq C0v2, then after every wash add a later of Gtechniq C2v3.

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely car and colour mate 👌 id say once the paint is to a swirl free condition you want be looking at getting a good coating on there gtechniq crystal light is ideal but can be abit tricky to apply you could always drop down to the c1 as its more user friendly.. as far as your wheels go its the same process again get them squeaky clean then a wheel coating again i would recommend looking at the gtechniq wheel armor infact gtechniq really do a product for every surface to keep that quality finish locked in after you spent hard man hours at work ..

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think i will look into the gtechniq system for sure. Is the Klasse sealant no longer a favorite around here? I would love to also be able to find a good use for that as well as the bottle has been used for one vehicle and it wasn't cheap to ship to Canada

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fink132 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think i will look into the gtechniq system for sure. Is the Klasse sealant no longer a favorite around here? I would love to also be able to find a good use for that as well as the bottle has been used for one vehicle and it wasn't cheap to ship to Canada

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    I've never used Klasse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse View Post
    I've never used Klasse.
    It's okay but there are far too many better choices available today. It's can be super finicky to remove. I tossed the aio and the sealant out LOL.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    It's okay but there are far too many better choices available today. It's can be super finicky to remove. I tossed the aio and the sealant out LOL.
    Sealants should be easy to apply, IMHO, which is why I have switched to GTechniq C2v3, spray on wipe the panel.

Post Thanks / Like

After whatever you choose to use, top it with this Dodo Juice Wax, it will make that awesome paint GLOWWWWWW. And yes, I have this wax. I don't have pics, but used it on a yellow vehicle as LSP and it was outta sight!

Dodo Juice Banana Armour Hard Car Wax, carnauba car wax, dodo juice waxes, carnauba paste wax, yellow wax, banana car wax,
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast