autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Mothers trim protectant running.. HELPHELP

G'day to all,

Did a quick going over of my 15 silverado yesterday. Topped it with BFWD and did all my trim on the exterior with Mothers protectant.. the cherry smeling stuff.. Wake up today after some rain and it's run down the side of my truck.. My question is will it hurt the lsp if i leave it till next week as i'm going on a trip.. Can i just take it to a carwash and rinse it off? i used a different protectant last year and the same thing happened. Does chevy have somthing in there trim that repels protectant? I can take a pic if needed be but the run marks look like an oil slick essentially.

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mothers trim protectant running.. HELPHELP

I am very sorry to hear about the problem you had.

Some of the tough trim on trucks, especially bed rails, are very tough to withstand abuse, and thus trim dressings and similar products don't absorb like on some composites.

In humid climates, a water-soluble trim product will tend to run with the dew, and of course the rain, especially if done that previous day. Buffing after application helps... apply it over the vehicle and follow with a good buff with a plush microfiber or cotton terry towel.

Where available, our Back-to-Black Trim & Plastic Restorer aerosol is a great durable coating that dries to the touch, though even that appreciates some curing time. Unfortunately it is not yet stocked by major retailers (like Canadian Tire) in Canada, but you can ask around at for 06110 Back-to-Black Trim & Plastic Restorer aerosol at the auto parts stores.

I'd continue to recommend Protectant, but buff more next time.

And to address the paint, when you get a chance, just use an instant detailer or spray wax and that should fix the streaks without any negative effect.
    Mothers Polish
    Customer Service & Technical Support
    jimd@mothers_dot_com

Post Thanks / Like

thank you for the fast reply. I'm definetly satisfised with your product as i use it on my interior and love it. Just couldn't understand why it wouldn't work on the exterior.. it did the same all around my mirrors to. Not a big deal. I learn somthing new everyday. I will definetly try giving it a better buffing next time. Again thank you, another reason why i use mothers, great customer service. by the way, never change the smell of that stuff. smells amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been playing around with the MOTHERS Aerosol trim restorer. Interesting product for sure. It does make short work of dressing trim. Downside is watching the overspray. Best to do it in a garage. Any overspray I did encounter wiped right off the paint with a damp MF. Makes the trim look great no doubt. On hard smooth plastics I noticed a light wipe down with a MF towel before the 15min dry time, is a must do to even out any runs. 24 hour cure time. The Xterra is littered with plastic trim, so I was looking for a easy product. I did have some runs in the rain, but this was from me not wiping off the excess and not letting it cure enough. The sprayer is great and controlled. Less is better with this product. Short even sweeping bursts. VERDICT? I feel when cured and the excess is wiped off, it is a good trim product. It just takes a learning curve.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Ryan, see my post on thread "Troublesome Trim"... for the stuff that ran off, I just wiped it away with MF and QD. No ill effects to LSP over next two months. BF Total Trim&Tire Sealant has been my savior.

Sorry, haven't figured out how to put the link to a prior post in yet.
    1994 300ZX 2+2 MT, sole owner, 239K mi
    2005 Ford Escape XLT Sport 4WD
    2014 Maserati Quattroporte GTS