autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Is it best to keep an iron remover off of plastic trim when rinsing it off the vehicle?

I know you're not supposed to put an iron remover on plastic trim. Is it best to keep an iron remover from running over plastic trim when rinsing it off as well or is it not much of an issue when it's diluted with water as it rinses off the vehicle?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is it best to keep an iron remover off of plastic trim when rinsing it off the vehicle?

I've been using iron remover for years as prep for a coating or maintence o er time and never had an issue. I'd just make sure it's not used in direct sunlight or when it's really hot outIs it best to keep an iron remover off of plastic trim when rinsing it off the vehicle?Is it best to keep an iron remover off of plastic trim when rinsing it off the vehicle?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

3. Likes Bri26, Jackismydog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is it best to keep an iron remover off of plastic trim when rinsing it off the vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by Bri26 View Post
    I know you're not supposed to put an iron remover on plastic trim. Is it best to keep an iron remover from running over plastic trim when rinsing it off as well or is it not much of an issue when it's diluted with water as it rinses off the vehicle?
    I have learned a long while ago to wet plastic down before spraying iron remover, and not let dry.

I have had staining issues. Not a worry when rinsing.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

5. Likes Bri26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had it stain on an older vehicles light grey colored plastic. I will definitely be more conscious of that in the future. I like the idea of wetting it first.
    Is it best to keep an iron remover off of plastic trim when rinsing it off the vehicle?-iron-jpg

7. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanaDetailingPros View Post
    I've had it stain on an older vehicles light grey colored plastic. I will definitely be more conscious of that in the future. I like the idea of wetting it first.
    Is it best to keep an iron remover off of plastic trim when rinsing it off the vehicle?-iron-jpg
    Same here. I had it stain the matte gray lower cladding and bumper covers on a '94 Dodge Caravan (the wife's car at the time). I didn't actually do it, it was done at the dealership.

I didn't even know about iron removers at the time, but I've always been skeptical of iron removers ever since.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Same here. I had it stain the matte gray lower cladding and bumper covers on a '94 Dodge Caravan (the wife's car at the time). I didn't actually do it, it was done at the dealership.

I didn't even know about iron removers at the time, but I've always been skeptical of iron removers ever since.
    I have to use it typically. I will just limit it on older vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like

If your rubber is properly sealed with a quality product you should be ok but it doesn't hurt to re-apply afterwardsIs it best to keep an iron remover off of plastic trim when rinsing it off the vehicle?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"