autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Boss GG 5.5 Pads

I purchased a GG6 recently (had one prior but gave it to a friend for his help), I have LC Flat pads already but wanted to get some Boss 5.5 pads for my new GG6 (already have 5'' backplate).

Question, I figure to use my current flat pads for waxing (black pads atleast).

Both of my vehicles are relatively new being 2016 vehicles and I don't plan to do this on the side, just for my vehicles.

Which Boss 5.5 pads should I get? I was thinking of just getting a 6 pack of Microfiber pads and the GG AIO Polish to use. I plan to use Collinite 845 for my wax. Will just getting Microfiber pads be fine or are they too rough for a new car? Should I get any of the foam pads with it? I wasn't sure if the Microfiber pads would be too rough, but wanted to get 6 of them for the most bang for my buck in the 6 pack without having to get any white or orange pads. If I would be better suited getting the foam pads that is fine, but I would like to get just 6 of one color and be fine to use them with the GG AIO finishing Polish.

I recently saw this review so that is what is putting me onto the GG AIO.
    REVIEW: Griots BOSS Finishing Sealant - All In One/One Step Polish

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boss GG 5.5 Pads

What does your paint need? Are there swirls and/or scratches?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    What does your paint need? Are there swirls and/or scratches?
    My paint appears to be in good condition (hard to tell with pollen on it right now). I wash my car and truck with a foam cannon and microfiber mitt, so shouldn't be too bad. Only thing I would say is there may be a little orange peal going on but I don't really see much in the way of swirls and scratches.

Post Thanks / Like

I just received an order of Boss 5.5" pads for my GG6 but haven't used them yet. In the past I've used LC flat, Hydrotech and ThinPro pads. .

I didn't order the white pads (heavy cut) because I have some gray ThinPros that should be similar. By the way, I am a big fan of the ThinPros, but the Boss pads look to be just as nice.

The orange Boss pads (medium cut) seem to be very similar to blue Hydrotech, but somewhat firmer than orange flat pads. So I'd say they probably have slightly more cut.

The yellow Boss pads (light cut) are slightly softer than the white ThinPro polishing pads, and are the least aggressive of any pads I have. They should be good for jeweling, but probably won't do much correction. .

And I picked up just a pair of Boss MF pads because my paint is rock hard. The Boss MF pads are going to be pretty aggressive, designed for cutting, or correcting very hard paint.

It's hard to recommend pads for you without knowing your paint or what pads you already have. It kinda sounds like MF is more than you need. But it's always nice to have some around for the future. I'd suggest considering orange pads, unless you already have the medium correction range covered. But make sure you have some softer pads in case you need a two-step to remove hazing or you run into soft paint.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brettS4 View Post
    I just received an order of Boss 5.5" pads for my GG6 but haven't used them yet. In the past I've used LC flat, Hydrotech and ThinPro pads. .

I didn't order the white pads (heavy cut) because I have some gray ThinPros that should be similar. By the way, I am a big fan of the ThinPros, but the Boss pads look to be just as nice.

The orange Boss pads (medium cut) seem to be very similar to blue Hydrotech, but somewhat firmer than orange flat pads. So I'd say they probably have slightly more cut.

The yellow Boss pads (light cut) are slightly softer than the white ThinPro polishing pads, and are the least aggressive of any pads I have. They should be good for jeweling, but probably won't do much correction. .

And I picked up just a pair of Boss MF pads because my paint is rock hard. The Boss MF pads are going to be pretty aggressive, designed for cutting, or correcting very hard paint.

It's hard to recommend pads for you without knowing your paint or what pads you already have. It kinda sounds like MF is more than you need. But it's always nice to have some around for the future. I'd suggest considering orange pads, unless you already have the medium correction range covered. But make sure you have some softer pads in case you need a two-step to remove hazing or you run into soft paint.
    Thanks, I too believe that the MF pads will probably be too much. I have no idea if I have hard or soft paint. I was looking at the LC ThinPro pads since I heard thin pads will be better than the LC Flat pads I currently own (I have black,white,orange and yellow Flat Pads now) since the Flat pads are thicker and the GG6 will be better with the thinner pads. The LC ThinPro caught my attention first but then I read about people praising the Boss pads so I switched my view.

Post Thanks / Like

Thicker pads are more prone to stalling. Thinner pads are more susceptible to heat build up. But both can be managed fine if you work within their constraints. But the general trend seems to be toward thin pads since they offer a little better control on curves.

The only real difference I see between ThinPro and Boss pads seems to be the center hole in the Boss, which can help keep the heat down. Both brands are great, tho. I doubt you'd notice any difference between them. I ordered the Boss pads because I have a need for MF, which isn't an option in ThinPro. And it's always interesting to try a different brand.

What are the cars you will be working on?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brettS4 View Post
    Thicker pads are more prone to stalling. Thinner pads are more susceptible to heat build up. But both can be managed fine if you work within their constraints. But the general trend seems to be toward thin pads since they offer a little better control on curves.

The only real difference I see between ThinPro and Boss pads seems to be the center hole in the Boss, which can help keep the heat down. Both brands are great, tho. I doubt you'd notice any difference between them. I ordered the Boss pads because I have a need for MF, which isn't an option in ThinPro. And it's always interesting to try a different brand.

What are the cars you will be working on?

2016 Mustang GT and 2016 F-150. Both Magnetic Grey Metallic paint

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go off your paints condition, if you have heavy defects that will need removal get a heavy cutting option. If not then get a softer pad, you should really only have to do heavy cut once and then after that u should only have to do light to medium polishing annually to keep the paint looking it's best

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    I'd go off your paints condition, if you have heavy defects that will need removal get a heavy cutting option. If not then get a softer pad, you should really only have to do heavy cut once and then after that u should only have to do light to medium polishing annually to keep the paint looking it's best

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Yeah I think I will stick to either LC ThinPro White and Black pads for polishing and waxing or Boss yellow and black pads for polishing and waxing. Leaning towards LC Thinpros now just based on price difference alone.

Post Thanks / Like

You only need one waxing pad (or just wax by hand). If you don't already have a waxing pad (a flat LC pad will work fine) get one black ThinPro. Then get 2 or 3 white and 2 or 3 orange ThinPro. Or the comparable pads in the Boss line. That should cover all your bases.

Personally, I'd get 3 in the more aggressive pad and 2 in the lighter pad. You don't work polishing pads as hard as cutting pads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast