autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Using HF 6" DA on 2006 Toyota Sienna

Today I used my HF 6" DA with orange Hexlogic pads on my 2006 Toyota Sienna. I have definitely neglected this van over the years so it as in pretty bad shape with deep scratches, and too many paint chips on the front hood and bumper to mention. Plus, since I bought my wife the new Acura, and I sold my Tribute, I am stuck driving this paid for vehicle in the mean time so I would like for it to look a little better than it does. Anyway, thanks to my new found hobby and this forum I decided to tackle this as an ongoing project. Last week, I washed and clay barred it. Today, I washed it, then started my HF up with an orange HL pad and Meguiars Ultimate Compound and went after it. Slow it was (and i realize now what Mike Phillips means by what "trudge along" means). The machine would bog down when I got around the front cap curves but I finally figured the proper technique to use to reduce the bogging down. I then switched to the blue Hydrotech pads and that helped out a lot and was able to reduce the level of scratches a little easier...that is to my comfort level. I then applied Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Wax (I used the Ulimate Wax so as not to leave white wax residue in all the paint chip places). I was only able to get the front cap and two front doors before having to stop and take care of other family duties, but will attach the van tomorrow.

Also, in a few places that it seemed like the UC would not provide me the result that I needed unless I continued to work at it, I switched to 3M Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound and that seemed to work a little better for me.

With all that said, if I was to purchase the Porter Cable or Griots 6" DA would I notice a difference in my user experience? I would love to purchase a $400 machine but I do not think I am at the point where I can justify it to my wife who is looking for new floors and a patio pergola.

Thanks,
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using HF 6" DA on 2006 Toyota Sienna

I have a HF, GG, and a long throw DA. IMO, the HF gets the job done. It's just not as smooth and a little louder. Its now used for my 3 inch pads.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a PC that I use on my truck I bought brand new, and the paint has always been babied. It works great for my needs.

But, after reading the description of your Toyota's paint, and if you're not going for the FLEX, get the Griots machine.

It's more powerful, and will serve your needs much better.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

The PC 7424 is my workhorse, but you probably wouldn't consider that an "upgrades!

I have some Rupes machines, and will be reintroducing the Flex 3401, and PE14 back to the stable, hopefully by summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Harbor freight and Griots 6 are very similar. Just about the same except the color and brand name. Both will bog down about the same. You're
    not gaining anything more by getting a griot.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

I have to disagree with TMQ.....I've used both, and the Griots 6" DA is considerably smoother and quieter, and comes with a lifetime warranty. Is it a quantum leap, like if you were going from an HF to a Rupes?....no...is it a step-up....I believer it is. That being said, I know guys that started with an HF, and never moved on from one...and the HF machine got the job done for them and still does.

Post Thanks / Like

The HF and GG will both get the job done, but the GG is a MUCH better user experience. I have both and like many, use the HF w/ small backing plates for tight areas only now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    I have to disagree with TMQ.....I've used both, and the Griots 6" DA is considerably smoother and quieter, and comes with a lifetime warranty. Is it a quantum leap, like if you were going from an HF to a Rupes?....no...is it a step-up....I believer it is. That being said, I know guys that started with an HF, and never moved on from one...and the HF machine got the job done for them and still does.
    I'd say it's slightly quieter and a little more than slightly smoother. Honestly, the Porter Cable is the smoothest of the 8mm DA's I've ever tried.

If you take apart the HF and repack it with better grease, the HF runs cooler and quiter.

Honestly though, knowing what I do now I'd have never bought the GG6. If have just kept my HF until I upgraded to the G15 (and not bought 2 other machines in between).
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    Harbor freight and Griots 6 are very similar. Just about the same except the color and brand name. Both will bog down about the same. You're
    not gaining anything more by getting a griot.

Tom
    I disagree politely. Hf for 48.00 is a great back up machine other than that for everyday use its not the tool for choice.It's cheap extremely loud and just rough and rotation doesn't start till about 4.GG6 doesn't compare 149.00 lifetime warranty smooth and quiet no vibration and very powerful.Hf is good for hobbyist not so for professional use.Gives me a headache on long jobs and it's not tolerable and I'm not a ear plug guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Never had a GG6 bogged down.more powerful than these 400 dollar machines outhere.it's the son of the 3401.All the rest I personally don't care for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast