autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

carpro hydro2 LITE: streaks and spots everytime

I start to try out the carpro hydro 2 LITE. used it three times now. despite the great shine (looks really super good on dark cars, not so much on warm/light colored cars), I do have spots and streaks every time. I am pretty sure I have used it in right way, however below is my method:

1\ car outdoor in shade, surface 100% cool to touch
    2\ washed with dawn, no LSP remains
    3\ after rinse, spray hydro2LITE on still wet paint
    4\ after spray on one panel (like half of the hood), rinse off with pressure washer immediately. the chemical sits on paint for less than 10 seconds, and this is the fastest I can do.
    5\ dry after whole car is sprayed and rinsed.

Let me know if you have spotted anything wrong.

despite I tried to rinse hydro2LITE ASAP, after drying I still can see spots as a result of misting the product on paint, also streaks as a result of rinsing product off the paint. these spots and streaks are actually quite difficult to remove unless I wash the whole car again.

I do like this concept of spray sealant but the spots and streaks are quite frustrating. I don't know if there is any thing wrong with my techniques, or just the LITE version does this anyway. does hydro2 perform the same as hydro2LITE? or should I try a different like like McKee?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: carpro hydro2 LITE: streaks and spots everytime

First thing I would do is stop washing with Dawn. Use a dedicated car wash.

3. Likes DaveT435, JohnD15317 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Using Dawn would be your first problem, dawn has no stripping abilities on the paint. Hydro works well on clean paint with a clean slate. You should iron-x the paint and or clay, then try the Hydro to seal. Need to use a soap such as Reset as well, with no added surfactants.

Post Thanks / Like

Also make sure that you flood adjacent areas after spraying it off.... Anywhere the stuff could have landed needs to be flooded/rinsed.

McKees has less streaking issues.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used Hydro2lite on black, white, red, and silver and have never had any streaks or spots and I use it in a half sun, half shade situation. The only thing I don't use is Dawn. Reset is my shampoo that I normally use. Is you car free from wax? If not the wax could cause the SiO2 not to bond.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronkh57 View Post
    Also make sure that you flood adjacent areas after spraying it off.... Anywhere the stuff could have landed needs to be flooded/rinsed.

McKees has less streaking issues.
    Agreed. Very important to rinse surrounding panels. Also, if you use a pressure washer, it will fling the product onto adjacent panels. Use a garden hose with a "firehouse" type nozzle.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by szjalo View Post
    I start to try out the carpro hydro 2 LITE. used it three times now. despite the great shine (looks really super good on dark cars, not so much on warm/light colored cars), I do have spots and streaks every time. I am pretty sure I have used it in right way, however below is my method:

1\ car outdoor in shade, surface 100% cool to touch
    2\ washed with dawn, no LSP remains
    3\ after rinse, spray hydro2LITE on still wet paint
    4\ after spray on one panel (like half of the hood), rinse off with pressure washer immediately. the chemical sits on paint for less than 10 seconds, and this is the fastest I can do.
    5\ dry after whole car is sprayed and rinsed.

Let me know if you have spotted anything wrong.

despite I tried to rinse hydro2LITE ASAP, after drying I still can see spots as a result of misting the product on paint, also streaks as a result of rinsing product off the paint. these spots and streaks are actually quite difficult to remove unless I wash the whole car again.

I do like this concept of spray sealant but the spots and streaks are quite frustrating. I don't know if there is any thing wrong with my techniques, or just the LITE version does this anyway. does hydro2 perform the same as hydro2LITE? or should I try a different like like McKee?
    I've only ever had that problem once and it was on a White F150, I used it in the sun and I missed a spot or two and it dried up. It was easily removed with a towel.

I'm a big fan or Hydro2 but in my honest opinion Permanon Platinum spray sealant is so much better than Hydro2.

You dilute it with deionized water and spray it over the car with a mister bottle. Just wipe and you're done. It's also a si02 sealant, and it's also made in Germany.

It's my all time favorite sealant, and then I use Hydro2 foam to maintenance the Permanon Sealant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Use it a lot and never have a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the feedback. I would assume Dawn wash is not the problem because the carpro forum has used dawn wash prior to hydro2 application. see here: Review: CarPro Hydro2. the comments on rinsing splashes make lots of sense.

Also considering replacing the OEM spray nozzle (came with hydro2 lite) with something mists better and finer, maybe that helps to prevent overspray.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDetails View Post
    I've only ever had that problem once and it was on a White F150, I used it in the sun and I missed a spot or two and it dried up. It was easily removed with a towel.

I'm a big fan or Hydro2 but in my honest opinion Permanon Platinum spray sealant is so much better than Hydro2.

You dilute it with deionized water and spray it over the car with a mister bottle. Just wipe and you're done. It's also a si02 sealant, and it's also made in Germany.

It's my all time favorite sealant, and then I use Hydro2 foam to maintenance the Permanon Sealant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I havent had much experience with Permanon but the temperature durability is quite impressive. so does the price lol

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast