autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Issues with Rupes mk2 - 15mm and buffer trail

Hi all,

just got my new Rupes mk2 ( 15mm )

seem to to be having big issues with buffer trail. Even on a flatish surface.

any advice? On a totally flat surface the results are insanely good. Jaw dropping in fact.

i ended up using my Torq 10fx with a 4 pad and it more or less sorted the issues, however I really want to use my rupes.

have attached images and appreciate the help.

justin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Issues with Rupes mk2 - 15mm and buffer trail-img_0404-jpg   Issues with Rupes mk2 - 15mm and buffer trail-img_0405-jpg   Issues with Rupes mk2 - 15mm and buffer trail-img_0403-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Issues with Rupes mk2 - 15mm and buffer trail

Looks like some light marring with some hazing. Buffer trails are like holograms, is that your problem?

Post Thanks / Like

I gave up on my Mark II, melts pads like nobody's business argh. Sold it at a huge loss to my friend and went back to my Duetto, which only overheats after 30 min. Try a finish glaze with a white pad on the holograms, they may be normal (especially with black) and require that second, more fine polishing stage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coolcobramatt View Post
    I gave up on my Mark II, melts pads like nobody's business argh. Sold it at a huge loss to my friend and went back to my Duetto, which only overheats after 30 min. Try a finish glaze with a white pad on the holograms, they may be normal (especially with black) and require that second, more fine polishing stage.
    Melts pads? I've had a MKII for about as long as they came out and I've never experienced any pad failure. I use mostly non-Rupes pads and polishes, too.

Something else has to be going on there.

OP - Can you provide a little more info? Product, pad choice, speed, passes, etc. Just to give us some more context and try and diagnose your issue. There are so many variables that it's good to have as much info as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry . Originally used green pad with medium cut green compound. Then finished with white pads and white finishing gel. Wasn't coming out with rupes but when I switched to my smaller padded Torq it came out.
    Usual speed , bit more pressure down when compounding but little when using the finishing polish. Just was an issue near the edges , absolutely fine in the middle and straight panels

Post Thanks / Like

My Audi is solid black and does have very soft paint so always look for very fine finishing polishes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Melts pads? I've had a MKII for about as long as they came out and I've never experienced any pad failure. I use mostly non-Rupes pads and polishes, too.

Something else has to be going on there.

OP - Can you provide a little more info? Product, pad choice, speed, passes, etc. Just to give us some more context and try and diagnose your issue. There are so many variables that it's good to have as much info as possible.
    The Rupes and AG reps I've spoken with all know of the melting pads (melts the black velcro to the backing plate), it's just a result of the excessive heat that the Mark II's can build up in the center of the pad. It looks like the pad is caving in and you can only tell when the pad starts throwing pieces of foam all over the car as it disintegrates. If you haven't witnessed it yet then consider yourself lucky. Literally forced me to sell a near new unit.

Post Thanks / Like

The Rupes and AG reps I've spoken with all know of the melting pads (melts the black velcro to the backing plate), it's just a result of the excessive heat that the Mark II's can build up in the center of the pad. It looks like the pad is caving in and you can only tell when the pad starts throwing pieces of foam all over the car as it disintegrates. If you haven't witnessed it yet then consider yourself lucky. Literally forced me to sell a near new unit.
    Wow, what speeds were you using and what brand pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Really unfortunate to hear.

There was a post on fb where it was addressed that the backing plates/pads will succumb to excessive pressure and speeds. Even with their pads and polishes.

Post Thanks / Like

So, is it more difficult to get close to that edge with the 15mm?

I have to really make an effort to get my edges done with the 12mm tool. It will do it, but I'm making that pad dance a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast