autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

help me fix my black 2004 porsche paint (With Pictures)

Hi, thanks for viewing. I recently bought a black '04 Porsche Boxster from texas. The paint is real bad & needs help, I'll outline what its like & what I have done so far along with pictures & hopefully you guys can help me decide what steps/products to use next.

Car arrived filthy, I washed it at the local high pressure wash spot. I did not blast it though just used the wand like you might a hose & mostly used the foaming brush. I didn't want to get water into the engine intakes or blast the convertible top.

Initial condition of car
    • Nose of car has chips
    • Paint very dry, so much so that it is not a deep black & if you touch it you leave dark fingerprints where the car has absorbed oil from your hands.
    • Fine grit embedded into it all over that you can feel when you run a hand over it
    • Swirl marks & scratches in the clearcoat
    • Milky splotches or clouds that look like watermarks? I don't know what to call these

Steps taken so far
    1. I used a citrus based cleaner all over to remove any existing product on car.
    2. Clay barred it with Mothers clay bar kit
    3. polished with random orbital polisher with foam bonnet & 3m polishing compound. Both of these I've had in my garage for a very long time I dont know the grit of the 3m compound & the polisher is a "shinemaster 1000" 0.65amp.

Current condition of car

• grit is gone
    • milky cloudiness is gone
    • not as dry (black color is deeper)
    • swirls & scratches are reduced

Next I was going to use Klasse all in one, then 2-3 coats of Klasse special glaze & finish with p21 carnuba wax. All of these products I have already & are all at least 10 years old (if that matters, not sure if these things expire). I have stopped before proceeding because I am not satisfied with the look of the car so far. I am not opposed to buying new products including a more aggressive polisher if needed.

Your challenge should you decide to accept it. Outline what products you would use & steps you would take to make this paint look as good as you could & how good can I expect to get it?

Now for the pictures

Before anything

After clay bar

my polisher (I didnt use the ssr1, the 3m tested as more agressive)

After polishing

Please help me get this car looking great.

Thanks
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Re: help me fix my black 2004 porsche paint (With Pictures)

Looks like a good project. You should be able get it in good shape with the right products.

First of all, get a decent polisher. I'd suggest a Griots 6" DA. Then get rid of your Klasse products. I used the same stuff on my black Audi 15 years ago, but now there are much better, and easier, products. I'd probably suggest staying with Griots and getting their Boss pads and correcting cream. But there are many other great products.

Most import, don't panic. A little patience and work, and you'll be looking at a beautiful car.

Post Thanks / Like

Just wait for SizzleChest, he is a Porsche paint expert (IMO). Unless its repainted he will be one your best resources for what to do with your Porsche.

Edit: if you want to spend some time reading click this link (its threads he has started) https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...earchid=901490

Post Thanks / Like

That car needs help.I would just hire a professional to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice car! I also have an 04 Boxster S. I don't have black, but I have a dark metallic color which is probably pretty similar in terms of hardness. Mine was not in as bad of shape to begin with, but what worked for me was:

-claying
    -meguiar's ultimate compound with meguiar's soft buff burgundy cutting pad
    -meguiar's ultimate polish with lake country flat white pad

I used a PC 7424XP but you could probably get the same results a little faster/easier with a higher end polisher.

help me fix my black 2004 porsche paint  (With Pictures)-img_20160512_131555-jpg

help me fix my black 2004 porsche paint  (With Pictures)-img_20160512_131650-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest getting an adequate polisher. If money is an issue, get a Harbor Freight DA. About 60 dollars and does good job. If you can afford it, get a better one sold here.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok I've ordered the porter cable polisher with some chemical brothers pads & grouts complete compound. Anyone know how this compound compares to the 3M? The 3M says it levels 1200 grit marks. Any suggestions on the sequence of pads & compounds is very much appreciated.

People are saying Porsche paint is finicky. What is meant by that?

Thanks
    P

Post Thanks / Like

Please bear in mind that 'generally' ( it differs of course ) this generation of Porsche have really soft paint.

I would seriously consider finishing / extending buffer cycle with water. Ie when you have finished compounding, spray a few squirts of water and complete some passes.

I found when I did a 2005 boxer that I ended up mixing water with polish to achieve the results I wanted

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what 3M product you were using (your pictures aren't working for me anymore for some reason) but check this link out to see how all the polishes and compounds compare.

UPDATED 9/2015: Autopia Polish Comparison Chart

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks that chart is super helpful. The 3M I have is perfect it 2 but not the foaming one that's on the chart.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast