autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Leather dye for steering wheel?

My 16 year old Audi S4 has a black leather-wrapped steering wheel that needs some care. It has gotten a mottled look in spots over the years, most likely due to the original dye or paint wearing off. Same thing happened to my previous A4 (it had an identical steering wheel).

I remember reading somewhere online a while back about treating it with dye and making it look new again. Does anyone have experience with that sort of thing and can recommend a product?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leather dye for steering wheel?

Can you post pics of the issue please?
    PCB Reflections LLC
    Specializing in Corrections and Protection
    Servicing Greenville SC & Surrounding Areas

Post Thanks / Like

Leather dye for steering wheel?-img_5111-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

My problem is similar. A recently acquired (used) Porsche had a good looking steering wheel until I took some leather cleaner to it. Now I have a whitish area where clearly the previous owner rubbed off the die getting in and out of the car.

Shoe polish didn't work so what are other options?Leather dye for steering wheel?-01ab415962a28d7540b517d44023ae0b3f7effe5ee-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I mentioned my problem to a coworker and it turned out that he had bought a Leatherique steering wheel restoration kit a few years ago and never used it. I traded him a new bottle of Collinite 845 and we're both happy with the deal. It'll be a while before I'll be able to use it, but it should do the job for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi BrettS4,

This is one of the products I found with a Google search. I would prefer to not have to remove the steering wheel to do this restoration. How are you going to use this product? My leather is fine, no cracks, etc, I just have that white area that needs to be dyed.

Collinite 845 was unknown to me before, how well do you like this wax? I am a Zaino fan, but am always interested in other enthusiasts experience.

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

I used the same leatherique steering wheel kit for my euro wheel. Very happy with the results.

Post Thanks / Like

I won't be removing my steering wheel, either. It's going to require sanding the leather to get the coating off the undamaged areas and make it uniform. Then coloring it with the leather dye. And after that dries, sealing it so the color doesn't rub off. My steering wheel is black so it should be easier for me to get a uniform color. You will have to be a bit more careful.

Collinite is a good wax but it's not my top choice. I use it on my wheels and in late fall on the paint for winter protection. If you like Zaino you'd probably prefer Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (WGDGPS) since that is more reflective (shinier).

Post Thanks / Like

Based on some other forums and reviews I am going to give Colorbond a try. It is supposed to bond to the leather at a molecular level. They have manufacturer specific colors including Porsche black. I am hopeful this will let me just "refinish" the area of the wheel that is damaged. I'll post back my experience with pictures.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you,

Post Thanks / Like

Finally received my order of ColorBond in Porsche Black. I cleaned the wheel with a TSP substitute to strip off all prior conditioners before applying the ColorBond After three coats of ColorBond, waiting the 10 minutes between applications, I am very happy with the results as you can see in the before and after pictures. The leather cleaner/conditioner I used didn't take off the ColorBond, so I guess it really is bonded. The white sheen is reflection of my overhead garage light. The area is completely black and matches the rest of the wheel exactly.

Leather dye for steering wheel?-steering-wheel-before-repair-jpg[/ATTACH]Leather dye for steering wheel?-steering-wheel-after-colorbond-jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast