autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Coating questions before I make my purchase

I am looking into trying a coating for the first time. After doing a little research I think I have it narrowed down to the Wolfgang Uber Ceramic due to it being the most user friendly from what I have read. If anyone has other suggestions let me know as well.

With regards to the Wolfgang I know that if you have end up with a high spot you would need to polish the area and reapply. Would I need to use a mild cut polish or something with some more cut to it?

Also what type of microfiber is best to use with wiping down the panel after application?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating questions before I make my purchase

Quote Originally Posted by boostedmoose003 View Post
    With regards to the Wolfgang I know that if you have end up with a high spot you would need to polish the area and reapply. Would I need to use a mild cut polish or something with some more cut to it?
    A finishing polish is all you need to remove fresh high spots.

Quote Originally Posted by boostedmoose003 View Post
    Also what type of microfiber is best to use with wiping down the panel after application?
    I like using the CarPro Suede MF Towels because they're super soft and won't lint.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the "high spot" fear is largely over worked.

If you follow the manufacture's instructions you won't have any problems.

The problem mostly comes from the "more is good" idea.

Every coating I have used say "a small amount goes a long way".

I just follow that advice and have never had to remove a "high spot".

That said I understand the "fear factor" as I had the same apprehension.

Do what I did ( 1 small panel as a test spot) and then proceed to do the rest of the car.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

RayVega recommended this coating for me as a first use Optimum Paint Coating it was easier than wax to apply correctly. I was worried it would require special skills to use but it was like cleaning a window easy.

Post Thanks / Like

For ease of use, McKee's 37 is really easy to apply as well. I like the spray bottle method of application.

I can understand the fear of high spots. If your lighting isn't optimal (like mine), you have to be really careful to make sure you even everything out. Leveling the high spots wasn't my fear, it was seeing them before it was too late.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, I found a high spot about 3hrs after finishing WG Uber Ceramic application; just took some WG Finishing Glaze 3.0, applied to a 3" white LC pad, rubbed off the small high spot by hand, a little Perfeckt Finish Paint Prep over the area I just polished off, re-applied the Uber Ceramic to that spot only and good to go.

Frankly, for the $$ I personally think there are better choices than the WG Uber Ceramic; AutoGeek-avaliable-wise, Gyeon Mohs comes to mind and Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light is good as well (I think so anyway). The WG is OK but for the price, I believe there are other options. YMMV, everybody has a pretty subjective view when it comes to coatings. Both the Gyeon and the CSL were a breeze to apply (at about 55-60F); hot and humid may be a whole different story.

I've had WG Uber Ceramic on 2 of our black cars since last April...looks good, has held up reasonably well and have no issues with it, (just perhaps a little pricey) but re-coating this Spring with some other stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

BudgetPlan1 said it, use some WG Finishing Glaze to rid the high spots. I had a few, my first coating was Wolfgang last July. For me it has held up strong, still looks great. My only plan is to hit it with Essence Plus in a couple weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

On sister site Autopia, I still say the easiest for a first time coating is Polish Angel Cosmic. You apply and remove like a traditional wax - so learning curve is quicker. Results are great in my experience and much easier than ones like 22PLE or Opticoat. I have a few pics in other threads with pics - take a look and see what you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app