autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation DA Polishing Question/Issue Actually Kind of an Annoyance

Morning, Afternoon, or Good evening to you guys,

Nearly two Sundays ago it was a beautiful day in central Jersey and I decided to do the full exterior detail on my truck, as it had not been washed in a couple weeks (or "detailed" since last May) due to my busy college/work schedule. I went through my normal routine as most of us all do and using the proper techniques (I won't mention the wheels because the problem pertains to the paint).

I first rinsed the car off with a standard hose and then sprayed down with Griot's Spray on Car Wash and let it sit for about five minutes to loosen up some of the dirt, salt/sand and grime. After letting it sit for about five minutes, I rinsed with the hose on the "jet" setting (will be purchasing low PSI power washer in spring with those federal tax returns)

After rinsing the car I continued with the two bucket method as I always do. I purchase a brand new Microfiber chenille mitt from AutoZone/AAP, as I do every few months. I always use quality shampoos to wash cars, whether it is mine or someone's car that I am being paid to do. I either used Griot's Car Wash or Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax I wash from top to bottom and rinse the mitt after each panel. After washing the car, I rinsed the car thoroughly and then took off the hose nozzle for the water to flow freely to help water sheet off without leaving water spots, following with a special drying microfiber towel. I then followed with a quick wipe off of the car and windows with Griot's Speed Shine to reduce any chance of water spots drying on the paint. Then proceeded to let the car dry for an hour before hitting the compound stage.

I didn't bother to clay because I had clayed before the winter and there was really no need. I maintain a clean car and nice layer of protection during the year and didn't see a reason to clay bar. I used my 6-inch Griot's DA Polisher to help me with the job. I paired it with an orange foam correcting pad and used Griot's complete compound. I conditioned the pad, set to right speed (5-6) used about 3-4 nickel sized drops and made my 6 passes and divided each into 2x2 sections. I used three pads over the whole car in the compounding stage (college is expensive RIP to checking acct). After finishing the compounding stage and buffing off with microfiber the results looked pretty clear and the depth of paint seemed to be improving although the paint is already in nice shape.

Following the compounding process was polishing. I noticed that there were very tiny/fine swirls in the paint that you could only really notice from very short short distance. I used another orange correcting pads (3 as well) to polish the car, using the right speed (5-6) and paired the pad with Meguiars Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover 2.0. I did my 6 passes for each of my 2x2 sections and buffed with microfiber. Following the polishing of the car I did a proper 50/50 IPA wipedown with microfiber cloth. After doing so the paint still looked great at night.

I finally finished the truck with the Griot's Best of Show Wax and applied it using a red foam pad applicator. I let the wax haze up for about 45 minutes and then used Griot's Spray Wax to help loosen up the wax, and also to boost the shine of the natural carnauba and Sport Red paint. I buffed off the wax and the truck looked PHENOMENAL.

After a few days I noticed a few little swirls had popped up as though the truck had never been compounded/polished... It was kind of annoying because I spent nearly 9 hours on the paint and still couldn't achieve the absolute finish that I was striving for. The truck still looks great, but what can I do to improve this? I wash weekly and always take care of the truck... Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

-Thanks Guys,

Scott
    Last edited by Chevyguy95; 03-01-2017 at 11:28 PM. Reason: tried adding photos

Post Thanks / Like

DA Polishing Question/Issue Actually Kind of an Annoyance

So you did an IPA wiledown, everything looked good, but somehow the swirls have returned before you've even touched the paint since the day of the detail?

45min. for the wax to haze... Was the vehicle sitting outside or inside a garage during that time? Is it possible that something could've settled on top of the drying wax during that 45min. window? Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DA Polishing Question/Issue Actually Kind of an Annoyance

Another possibility is they were not noticed until 3 days later, do you have a good swirl finding light like this SCANGRIP Sunmatch, swirl finding light ? It really helps find them as I found just as you did after I was done then two days later out of the corner of my eye the the dreaded missed defect hits you hard in the gut. Just when I thought I was perfect at polishing I am reminded I am not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy95 View Post
    After a few days I noticed a few little swirls had popped up as though the truck had never been compounded/polished...

I wash weekly and always take care of the truck...

Did the swirls showed up before or after washing?

Post Thanks / Like

You're process sounds right on. But, (and just speaking as a guy who does his own truck with the help of the pros here) I can always find something in "just the right light" that I may have missed.

I chalk it up to this:

A- I"m no pro at this, but I feel great knowing that my paint is protected, if not absolutely perfect.

B-I can and will get better at it.

C- (and maybe the most important) Even though I try my best, and with the great knowledge gleaned from this forum, I'm reserved to the fact that with my DD truck, things will never be "perfect".
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Anytime I polish or just applying wax I would clay. On the DA the last couple passes I would ease off on the pressure. Just enough to keep the machine flat on the car. Always do a light inspection after the IPA wipe down.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the clay step and lighting. There might have been impeded contaminates that contributed to the marring or swirls. If no lighting, pull it out into the sun periodically. Lastly, the compound might not have been aggressive enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Hummm....
    Sounds like all was done just about right but a couple of things.
    You used a "cutting" pad (orange) at the polishing stage? Should've moved on to polishing pads.
    Dry wax? That could be another factor. Anytime you rub car, you will scratch the paint. Even just with your finger. To me, any "dry" material will be enough to
    re-introuduce scratches.

Possibilities:
    1. Didn't clay
    2. Dry wax
    3. Cutting pads at polishing stage (most likely)

Bet the money is on the fact you used cutting pads at polishing stage.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    So you did an IPA wiledown, everything looked good, but somehow the swirls have returned before you've even touched the paint since the day of the detail?

45min. for the wax to haze... Was the vehicle sitting outside or inside a garage during that time? Is it possible that something could've settled on top of the drying wax during that 45min. window? Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if the swirls were totally polished/compounded out and maybe the light was heading them. The vehicle was outside during the hazing but it wasn't windy or rainy. Not positive if something covered the wax?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wing commander View Post
    Another possibility is they were not noticed until 3 days later, do you have a good swirl finding light like this SCANGRIP Sunmatch, swirl finding light ? It really helps find them as I found just as you did after I was done then two days later out of the corner of my eye the the dreaded missed defect hits you hard in the gut. Just when I thought I was perfect at polishing I am reminded I am not.

you're absolutely right, I do use an LED light to find the swirls but unfortunately I can't buy that light right now its kinda expensive for my budget :/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast