autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DA Polishing Question/Issue Actually Kind of an Annoyance

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    You're process sounds right on. But, (and just speaking as a guy who does his own truck with the help of the pros here) I can always find something in "just the right light" that I may have missed.

I chalk it up to this:

A- I"m no pro at this, but I feel great knowing that my paint is protected, if not absolutely perfect.

B-I can and will get better at it.

C- (and maybe the most important) Even though I try my best, and with the great knowledge gleaned from this forum, I'm reserved to the fact that with my DD truck, things will never be "perfect".

Amen man, I love the attitude and that's probably how I'll feel going forward

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    Hummm....
    Sounds like all was done just about right but a couple of things.
    You used a "cutting" pad (orange) at the polishing stage? Should've moved on to polishing pads.
    Dry wax? That could be another factor. Anytime you rub car, you will scratch the paint. Even just with your finger. To me, any "dry" material will be enough to
    re-introuduce scratches.

Possibilities:
    1. Didn't clay
    2. Dry wax
    3. Cutting pads at polishing stage (most likely)

Bet the money is on the fact you used cutting pads at polishing stage.

Tom
    I clayed before winter and did one section when performing the detail but if you maintain your car you don't have to clay all the time. I used the orange pad for the polishing and Griot's recommends that for polishing. Thanks for your much needed input Tom! I'll try out some CCS pads

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    Anytime you rub car, you will scratch the paint. Even just with your finger. To me, any "dry" material will be enough to
    re-introuduce scratches.
    This is why I asked if the scratches appeared before or after a maintenance wash. Even if the person is doing everything right, all it takes is a slip up during drying and that's all she wrote. Narrowing the timeline and/sequence definitely helps lessen frustration.

Sometimes even if the techniques are correct, a rogue towel would ruin your day. Soft to the touch, yet enough to deal damage. This is why many preferred 'drying aid' and some like the wet towel method as the fibers are already damp ala build-in drying aid.

There was even a case where the person was having an extremely difficult time during a wipedown stage. After a while he resorted to washing the towel, dried it with FABRIC SOFTENER (!), and soaked in solution in order to wipe the panel clean without marring.

Polishing is fun, but also tricky. Lots of learn.

With that, all these suggestions are just that - suggestions. Noting beats seat time. So many variables come into play, what applies for one vehicle doesn't work for another, even when they're identical make/model/colour. The only way to know what truly works is by trial and error - and takes plenty of notes.

Lastly, it's supposed to be fun. Try not to pull hairs. Take a break, regroup, and chalk it up as learning experience for the next round.

Post Thanks / Like

Give Griot a call and tell them your story. I would like to know what happened.

Post Thanks / Like

Chevyguy95,

1) To start off, great post, you provided tons of detail.

2) Like other people have already stated, I see a few flaws in your process.

A) I would have clayed the car, one great way to check if you need to clay is to use a plastic bag over your hand or a latex glove. Sometime you think you don't need to clay but when you use the bag trick you realize you do.

B) It sounds like in the cutting phase you did not remove all the swirls and scratches.

C) you used a cutting pad in the polishing phase.

The good part is all your hard work is not wasted. You can go back and polish out fine swirls.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. This is a great post and classic case study of processes used and not used to complete a show shine finish.

I've been mulling over this for some time and I'm glad Killerheroin pulled this thread back to the top.
    Been thinking and scratching my head trying to explain what happened to you and then a light bulb went off in my mind!

Did you do a test spot?

Without a test spot no one can give you a recommendation or an explanation of what happened because we don't have anything to compare it to.
    With a test spot or better yet---a demarcation line clearly established, We now have a point of reference to compare our work against going forward. So if anything changes during the course of your nine hour work---you'll know why! Or a reasonable idea that something has happened in middle of your work.

Base on your post above, There is only one recommendation that I can offer you, Do a test spot!
    The story begins and the story ends with your demarcation line.

Shoulda clay? I don't know. Are the pads an issue, I don't know. Etc...Etc...Know what I mean...?

I am glad you've posted your story! An excellent post to review the whys and the processes used as stated by the pros.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

And lastly, you said you've clayed before winter. IMO, that's too long. Anytime one going break out the polisher---Always clay. If you were just to wash--that's different.

Only 3 orange pads at compounding stage? Not enough. My understanding one will need at least 6 or even up to eight pads at compounding stage.
    With only 3 cutting pads---It probably has too much product which reduces cutting half way through your work and worst yet, probably picked up enough
    contaminates along the way since it hasn't been clayed.

All of these are probably reasons why but again, with out a established baseline to work from, all of this is just conjecture.

Tom

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Using a cutting pad too fast will leave marks. Slow down to like 2 or maybe 3 and take your time. Its not a race and faster does not always mean better. you need to let the product and the pad do the work. Also do not use heavy pressure.

Next more to a white pad and a polish like Sonax Perfect Finish or HD Polish on a white pad. When you are done polishing just lightly remove (do not scrub) the polish that is left over one section at a time.

Don't try and do the whole car / truck with one pad Cut or Polish. Do one panel Correct / Cut then Polish and check your work. If everything looks good go to the next panel. If you do it this way you will see your problems with your technique or the pad on one panel first and have time to correct the process before you have the same problem over the whole car / truck.

Also do not forget to switch out your pads as you should not use just one pad for the whole car or truck. Think about how much stuff gets into any pad cutting / correcting or polishing while doing a car. The Pads will never produce the same results at the end as it did at the beginning if you do not keep it clean or swap it out.

Then wax your car and go a 2 panels at a time. Wax two or three and then go back and without any spray just wipe off the wax without scrubbing the paint.

Save the spay as a quick detailer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12