autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax on glass okay?

Guz - Thanks again for the info.

I'm with you - I haven't noticed undue amounts of dust build up, but I also either apply it so it flashes off on it's own or as a drying aid.

Unfortunately I'm not on Facebook, so here continues to be my main source. I have listened to a lot of the Optimum podcast though.

Regarding the ONR WW, I've only had a chance to do one rinseless with it so far. I don't remember having any trouble getting it buffed off (even in an unheated garage in MN winter), but I probably used Opti-seal when drying. My windows are plenty dirty right now, I'll use just some ONR WW at rinseless dilution to clean them and report back.

Regular Member steelwindmachine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the input...

I haven't ordered any rinseless solution yet. I do still have almost 2 gallons of Meguair's Gold and two bottle of Griot's Car Wash to use/blow through, so I'm not totally dying on the vine here as far as car washing soap.

I stopped by to see my detailer friend Ryan today with my wife's Forester. Due to the age of the car, the fact it's not for show and I'm just looking to reduce the wash maintenance, but protect he suggested a hybrid detail job where he'd spot correct scratches. He hasn't delved into pro-coatings due to some rumblings about it causing issues with some clear coats and he tends to err on the side of caution and that the prep seemed considerable, but that may be old info. He's interested in maybe taking another look at what's out there.

If it were me and entirely my buying decision, I'd have the other pro do the Opti-Gloss Coat and detail for $450 on both vehicles and go from there. I think the $900 for the Pro is just a bit much for our wallets. Either way, I need to negotiate with my wife on what really makes the most sense for our situation. There will be compromise.

I don't think she's ever actually washed her car or even worked on it. Not that she necessarily wouldn't, but there has always been someone in her life who took care of it for her. So, she isn't directly familiar with what's involved to make a car clean beyond taking it to the automated wash or hitting it with a hose, soap, scrub and rinse. She also doesn't really have the experience of what a corrected and protected paint job looks like beyond what a new car off the dealer lot. So, no reference for potentially how much better the vehicle can look aside from the functional protection and prospective wash-time savings that modern sealants and/or coatings afford.

When it comes down to it, I'm trying to sort through the products and methods on the market to figure out which make the most sense for our situation, lifestyle, expectations and monetary sensitivities.

I'm gonna discuss this all with her over the weekend and see where we come out...

Post Thanks / Like

also, since I essentially have nothing beyond some buckets and towels, I'd need to spend several hundred dollars for the rest of the gear and product used in that TRC/Optimum Gloss-Coat video. Even if I stepped down to a Griot's DA, we're still talking a few hundred dollars. How do you justify dumping that much into stuff for two daily-drivers that are never garaged in an area that gets all seasons and we're not pensioners

Like wife answer answer: We'll decide to pay someone to do it or go for a non-coating solution that doesn't require the da, da washer, pads, and at least 3 coating related liquids, a garage or perfect weather to apply, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Guz - Thanks again for the info.

I'm with you - I haven't noticed undue amounts of dust build up, but I also either apply it so it flashes off on it's own or as a drying aid.

Unfortunately I'm not on Facebook, so here continues to be my main source. I have listened to a lot of the Optimum podcast though.

Regarding the ONR WW, I've only had a chance to do one rinseless with it so far. I don't remember having any trouble getting it buffed off (even in an unheated garage in MN winter), but I probably used Opti-seal when drying. My windows are plenty dirty right now, I'll use just some ONR WW at rinseless dilution to clean them and report back.

The podcast has some nice info. Dann and Yvan are at the rag company this weekend filming new stuff. They just posted up two live videos. One washing with regular ONR and one washing an escalade that has opti-coat pro with ONRWW. I will see if I can get permission from Dann, Yvan or Levi to host those videos and post them up. They have had some real good videos the past couple of days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steelwindmachine View Post
    I'm putting together my kit for my first jump into the rinseless pool and I'm looking at the ONRWW and wondering whether or not it's fine to use on all the exterior glass?
    Yes.

Just be advised that correct technique and towel management applies.
    ONR, like any other product, is not a magic product.
    It is, however, marketed by Optimum Technologies as a magic product.
    So, if you have a dirty glass panel, and just spray on and wipe all over, you can expect results that are scratching and smearing, especially with that goofy Red Sponge they like to hype and sell.

Also, like most rinseless and waterless washes, you will probably find a need for higher than advertised concentration of product.
    The 256:1, and even 128:1, are often useless in actual cleaning power, and in some cases are as effective as plain water at those dilution levels.

the intent is that I get the cars pro-detailed, polished, waxed and then I use the ONRWW on the whole car to maintain.
    I'd also like to know if I could work in the Opti-Seal on the ONRWW?

what I was hoping to accomplish by using the ONRWW was to not have to chase it with a dedicated spray wax.
    I'm hoping I could just wash with the ONRWW, then dry with the Opti-seal and be done.

My intention is to leave whatever good protection is already on the paint (wax, sealant), wash off the debris and leave a nice finish (by virtue of additional wax in ONRWW).
    That can work.
    Wash and waxes, and even most spray waxes, don't offer a great deal of protection.
    They do offer protection, and it is worth the time and effort , but nothing like a coating.

As for your intention, that is fine.
    Just consider that tires, wheels, and wheel wells may be the hardest and most time consuming areas of the vehicle to maintain.
    This depending on the amount of brake dust and other contaminants that typically affect these areas.

I'm not ready to commit to the cost and inherent maintenance of a coating just yet.
    Maintenance is mostly no different for a coating than the normal maintenance you would put into car care.
    As for cost, it is always cheaper to coat the vehicle yourself, which is not that hard, and nothing to shy away from.

If it were me and entirely my buying decision, I'd have the other pro do the Opti-Gloss Coat and detail for $450 on both vehicles and go from there. I think the $900 for the Pro is just a bit much for our wallets. Either way, I need to negotiate with my wife on what really makes the most sense for our situation. There will be compromise.

When it comes down to it, I'm trying to sort through the products and methods on the market to figure out which make the most sense for our situation, lifestyle, expectations and monetary sensitivities.
    I'm gonna discuss this all with her over the weekend and see where we come out...
    Budget will always be the primary factor, despite the needs of the vehicle.
    $900 is a fair price, but if you subtract the coating, then I would presume the cost is closer to $450 for both vehicles, thus $225 per vehicle.
    This for a wash, decon, spot correction and wax for each vehicle.
    That is a good deal and will allow you to carry on with your plan of basic maintenance with a waterless wash and wax product.

Post Thanks / Like

FYI It's $450/vehicle for Gloss Coat and $900/vehicle for Pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vanev View Post
    Yes.

Just be advised that correct technique and towel management applies.
    So, if you have a dirty glass panel, and just spray on and wipe all over, you can expect results that are scratching and smearing, especially with that goofy Red Sponge they like to hype and sell.

Also, like most rinseless and waterless washes, you will probably find a need for higher than advertised concentration of product.
    The 256:1, and even 128:1, are often useless in actual cleaning power, and in some cases are as effective as plain water at those dilution levels.
    I've been using the big red sponge more almost a year and never had a problem with smearing, scratching or marring. Also never had an issue with it at it's standard dilution ratio. Same can be said for D114 and N-914 which has a similar dilution ratio.

Like all products proper use is key. So I agree with you there.

Post Thanks / Like

Never had a issue with the big red sponge other than the price, no issues with dilution ratio. Bam I dropped the mic again.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^ Like negotiating a cease fire with napalm.

The BRS is one of those products that's either, or. I don't think there's a middle ground with this one; you either love it or hate it. I'm in the latter camp. I tried washing my vehicles half a dozen time, and each time tossed the sponge aside and went back to microfibers/mitts. Just could not get the feel for the thing. Thought about slicing it in half (horizontally) to get a better feedback, but the darn thing just up and disappeared on me.

Agreed with smearing. For light duty maintenance, sure. But if the glass pieces had been splashed with the nasty stuff from the asphalt after a wet weather, it's best to grab something that packs a punch like Sonax Glass Cleaner. If one insists on a rinseless concentrate, then a product that leaves noting behind (I can feel nostrils flaring up every time that phrase dropped) N-914 @ panel wipe dilution packs a wallop.

Post Thanks / Like

To play devil's advocate, isn't that how most of the stuff we buy on here is marketed/hyped?

Totally agree with what you say about how technique > all. I'm still new to rinseless washes, and last weekend did the RW that felt the best of any I'd done yet. I'm reluctant to say it was the wash in the bucket that made it so; I think it was just that this round I really focused on technique.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast