autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Lambswool pads for removing sanding marks w/ rotary

I know this question is around 7+ years late, but I'm hoping some of the forum members that have been around for awhile can offer some feedback.

I work on a lot of restored classic cars that have been repainted and the orange peel is almost always bad enough that it's impossible to see any resemblance of a reflection due to all of the coats of clear (which is a good thing!)

Depending on the job and paint hardness, I typically finish with 3,000 grit

For the initial cutting step after damp sanding, I use the LC thick purple foamed wool pads with my Dewalt 849x rotary because for the past year I've worked in an environment where all of the lint from traditional twisted wool pads is just not really a viable option. I've found that the thick foamed wool pads are great, but occasionally just aren't quite aggressive enough. So my question is....

Does anyone have experience correcting with a rotary and LC 6" lambswool leveling pads? I've search the forums and it seems like most guys are using them as the cushion for their bonnet when removing wax which the concept of using a machine and a bonnet to remove wax was a real ### moment for me. But the reason I'm so interested in these lambswool pads is because I've been trying to find famous "Edge-Lambswool pads" and I found a post that mentioned the LC 6" lambswool actually being the exact same pads just without the black dye? Can anyone confirm this?

Also, if any of you have a recommendation for what you believe the best cutting low-linting wool pad I am all ears!!! Thank you!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lambswool pads for removing sanding marks w/ rotary

On fresh paint you should be able to use a microfiber pad on a DA with a non-dusting body shop safe compound to remove 3000 grit no problem. You won't have any fibers flying all over the microfiber pads and you won't have any holograms to worry about, though you will most likely need a refining step after the compound.
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Mike Phillips

Have you ever simply washed your wool cutting pads?

Like in, throw them in the washing machine and wash them?

I just placed about 10 wool cutting pads in our washing machine to wash them. They have spent compound and paint on them from my recent 3-day CR Detailing Class.

After you wash them once or twice the stop linting on their own. Then when you go to clean them with a spur, get a tall box or and spur them while holding the buffer inside the box. That's what I do and it work pretty good.

Besides that, the flat lambswool pads you're talking about will work fine on a rotary but in my opinion and experience are not near as aggressive as a true traditional rotary buffer style wool pad. SONAX just introduced a new lambskin polishing pad. We used them with rotary buffer at the Indianapolis Competition Ready Detailing Class to remove sanding marks with CutMax compound.

They worked but you need to tweak your technique a little to get use to buffing with a really flat pad on a rotary buffer.

SONAX 5.5 inch Lambskin Polishing Pad

If it were me, I'd wash your normal go-to wool pads spur them in a box and go to town. Removing sanding marks 100% is best done with a wool pad on a rotary buffer for both effectiveness and speed.

If you want, I can take a picture of the box technique I use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    I've found that the thick foamed wool pads are great, but occasionally just aren't quite aggressive enough.

Also, if any of you have a recommendation for what you believe the best cutting low-linting wool pad I am all ears!!! Thank you!!
    I'd listen to Mike Phillips before I'd listen to me, because I don't know anything about rotaries and wool, but Optimum has a Hyper Wool pad that is supposed to be much more aggressive than the purple foamed wool, in fact they say that with a long stroke polisher it will cut better than a rotary with twisted wool (I'm not even sure they recommend it for rotary).

Maybe Autogeek will consider carrying these pads.