autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil field truck

Post Thanks / Like

Oil field truck

Hey all,

I booked a 2016 pickup truck for Tuesday that has lived in the oil field. The interior is not bad, it had seat covers that I will just toss per the owner, and weather tech floor mats, so really it will not be terrible. The outside though has more than just mud on it. It almost needs a degreaser or something. What should I spray on it that will be paint safe before my clay polish and sealant? Would just Sonax or something like it work, or should I spray an APC?

thanks,
    Brad
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oil field truck

Tar X is a good choice as well as iron x. Maybe mix in some apc to your wash soap or ssomething. Another good choice is to hit the car with zep 505 as it's an excellent degreaser and then use apc with car soap in your wash bucket.

Post Thanks / Like

Id try stoners tar minator. Cannot vouch for it with no experience but have heard good things about it. Id personally foam soak with an apc and soap, then spray tarminator. maybe then an iron remover then rinse those two off then clay
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Oil field truck

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    Id try stoners tar minator. Cannot vouch for it with no experience but have heard good things about it. Id personally foam soak with an apc and soap, then spray tarminator. maybe then an iron remover then rinse those two off then clay
    I love tarminator it works awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably has driling mud and other chemicals used in driling process on it. This is where I put the rinseless down and hook up the pressure washer. A good pre-soak with degreaser will benefit you here big time. Foam gun/cannon pre-soak after as well.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all. I have no idea what is actually on it and told him no guaranty it will all come off without some permanat damage to the paint but I will give it my best. He is fine with that.

The only thing I don't have listed above is tarminator, is it available locally at all? I do have a gallon of bug squash also, I wonder if that may break down some of what's on the truck. Unfortunately I didn't think of taking pictures just quickly looked at it. He said he was going to take it to the spray n wash before I got it so maybe some of it will be off.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Post Thanks / Like

Tar X and Iron X come in a single product called TRIX. According to the CarPro advertising, it is full strength Tar X and Iron X in one product. Might take more than one application, but this might be the best to go with as it should remove iron and/or oil/greasy contaminants in one spray.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coopers ST View Post
    Hey all,

I booked a 2016 pickup truck for Tuesday that has lived in the oil field. The interior is not bad, it had seat covers that I will just toss per the owner, and weather tech floor mats, so really it will not be terrible. The outside though has more than just mud on it. It almost needs a degreaser or something. What should I spray on it that will be paint safe before my clay polish and sealant? Would just Sonax or something like it work, or should I spray an APC?

thanks,
    Brad
    I found poor boys bug squash diluted to work great for this situation. Not really a poor boys user but they have a home run on this product.Bought 3 gallons of this week alone.Needed to find a product to use underneath jets and small private air craft.The underside of these planes are covered with oil and it's really thick.Was using paint thinner to remove prior,but bug squash cuts right through it spray and wipe.Great product and super cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Just don't let it dry on the paint keep it wet all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a lot of road tar from oiling down dirt roads and I filled a garden sprayer with kerosene. I let it sit on the paint for about an hour then washed it off. Repeated once more with the kerosene and then washed and polished as I would normally.
    I had previously tried various tar removers and it cost so much in material that I switched to kerosene.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast