autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing Optiseal prior to Body Shop drop off

Hello,
    I know this has been covered and there are few methods discussed, just need some clarifications.

Car is a 2015 Candy White Passat.
    Body Shop will be fixing a rear door scratch and painting both doors to blend.
    I have been using Optiseal as a drying agent about twice a month.
    What is the most effective method to remove it without wasting Polish ? ( I own 7424xp and use megs 105/205 whenever necessary)
    I know the body shop will prep the body panels, but Optiseal bonds to the paint pretty well and I want to do it myself as well.

Plan to wash this side of the car with a pretty liberal concentration of dawn couple times and go over it with Dupli-Color PW100 Prep Grease and Wax Remover Prep Wipe. Anything else I should do?

Thank you in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing Optiseal prior to Body Shop drop off

It doesn't matter what you wash it with, whatever will take off the dirt. That Prep Wipe will likely do it (remove the Opti-Seal)...if you want to be sure, go over it by hand with the M205 before the prep wipe.

Opti-Seal is simply a sealant, not a coating, it's not going to be that difficult to remove. Even if you left it on, your car won't be the first to come into the body shop with "wax" on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not just leave it, just in the off chance there's any overspray from the work on your car or others, it would may be easier to remove if you have some protection.....similar to how treat my vehicle's before I take any of them on a road trip....Ill throw a light coat of wax/sealant on front bumper/hood/fenders (especially in the summer) it helps with easy removal of bugs once I get the chance to rinse the car .....

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jkrig View Post
    Why not just leave it, just in the off chance there's any overspray from the work on your car or others, it would may be easier to remove if you have some protection.....similar to how treat my vehicle's before I take any of them on a road trip....Ill throw a light coat of wax/sealant on front bumper/hood/fenders (especially in the summer) it helps with easy removal of bugs once I get the chance to rinse the car .....

I plan on leaving it on the rest of the car. Just doing the 2 doors. The rest of the car will be masked off is what I was told.

After I pick it up I plan on waiting 60-90 days before I do anything but wash these panels. Than correct if needed and seal...

Post Thanks / Like

After a wash, 2 wipe downs with that panel wipe should do it. You're probably going to polish the doors after the body shop is done anyways. Save your clear coat for then.

Post Thanks / Like

On the blend panels the shop should be using anything from 800 to 1000 grit for surface prep. After that it will undergo a panel wipe down prior to paint. I don't see any product standing up to 1000 grit sanding. I am a refinish tech so I feel like I speak with a high level of certainty. IMO you are over thinking it, but as always do what makes you happy!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mdtony View Post
    Hello,

I have been using Optiseal as a drying agent about twice a month.

Thank you in advance
    This is a new one on me, how do you do this?
    Fred R. Elias Jr.
    Warren, MI. 48091
    1-586-755-1245

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ncmizzou01 View Post
    On the blend panels the shop should be using anything from 800 to 1000 grit for surface prep. After that it will undergo a panel wipe down prior to paint. I don't see any product standing up to 1000 grit sanding. I am a refinish tech so I feel like I speak with a high level of certainty. IMO you are over thinking it, but as always do what makes you happy!
    ^THIS!

-Always glad to hear another painter chime in. Also to ncmizzou01- some coatings do a number to sandpaper, I've only experienced it twice in my career. But seeing as he is dealing with a sealant, wax and grease remover will take quick care of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feslope View Post
    This is a new one on me, how do you do this?
    While the car is still wet, mist 1 spray per panel and wipe dry with your towel of choice (Mine is 16x16 Griot's PFM). The water disappears, but the optiseal leaves some protection. Super fast, super easy. I'm a huge fan.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    While the car is still wet, mist 1 spray per panel and wipe dry with your towel of choice (Mine is 16x16 Griot's PFM). The water disappears, but the optiseal leaves some protection. Super fast, super easy. I'm a huge fan.

Yea me too... a little goes a long way.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think you are right about the overkill, but this will make me sleep better at night :-)