autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there any hope?

Garage door caught just out of range of the back-up camera, left a pretty good scratch. Couldn't be more bummed out right now. Is there any hope of repairing this myself with a DA, or do I need to bring it in to be repainted? If I can repair it myself, what should I get? I haven't purchased a DA or polish/compound yet, so I'd love to hear what is best.

As always, really appreciate your thoughts.

Is there any hope?-img_1297-jpgIs there any hope?-img_1300_1-jpg

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is there any hope?

BTW, that almond color may be from the garage door itself, so maybe that's a good sign?

Post Thanks / Like

I see some hope in the situation. Pick up some Meguiars Ultimate Compound and a microfiber applicator pad and see what it does.. I think most of that should come right off.

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Is there any hope?

Quote Originally Posted by fizzleation View Post
    BTW, that almond color may be from the garage door itself, so maybe that's a good sign?
    Yup, that means transfer, and transfer is a Good thing.

1st carefully wipe clean as much of the debris as you can with a waterless wash or a heavy dose of quik detailer, just be careful not to do too much with that 1st step because that's not what's going to remove your problem anyways... Then go at it with the compound.

Sent from my iPhone

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, that helped quite a bit. I went out with the ultimate compound and a microfiber pad, but it was a finishing pad--not much heft. It did make some good progress. Think a DA polisher would help finish it off? I need one anyway.

If so, which pad should I get? And with the ultimate compound work, or should I get something else? Thanks for helping me through this!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, that helped quite a bit. I went out with the ultimate compound and a microfiber pad, but it was a finishing pad--not much heft. It did make some good progress. Think a DA polisher would help finish it off? I need one anyway.

If so, which pad should I get? And with the ultimate compound work, or should I get something else? Thanks for helping me through this!
    Slow down tiger. Lol.

Try a regular microfiber towel if you think the microfiber pad you used wasn't adequate. Take it nice and easy, yet not too easy because it will take the right amount of passion to get it cleaned up, but it can be done by hand.

Transfer is transfer, and it can all be taken off by hand. Just like this, same exact process.

Anything that won't come off by hand, won't come off with a polisher either because that'll mean it's down to the bare surface.

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I see some hope in the situation. Pick up some Meguiars Ultimate Compound and a microfiber applicator pad and see what it does.. I think most of that should come right off.

Sent from my iPhone
    Just used Megs UC on a medium cut (orange HexLogic Quantum) pad to get transfer like that off of my wife's car......when she first looked at it, she thought it was body shop time, too

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    Just used Megs UC on a medium cut (orange HexLogic Quantum) pad to get transfer like that off of my wife's car......when she first looked at it, she thought it was body shop time, too
    Nice. I went at it with the microfiber towel and UC for a bit. I have a polisher and a couple hex logic pads (white and orange) arriving tomorrow--I think it needs just a little extra cut to get it fixed up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    I pulled a bunch of transfer with the green one before.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice. I went at it with the microfiber towel and UC for a bit. I have a polisher and a couple hex logic pads (white and orange) arriving tomorrow--I think it needs just a little extra cut to get it fixed up.
    That should do it....I followed it up with a little HD Speed to polish it up a little and give it some protection. It'll be getting a full detail in a few weeks. so that will suffice until then. Best of luck...post pics of the finished product

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast