autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Upgrading Shop (should I ?)

I have been Detailing for about a year and half now opened my own shop got a llc things have been going pretty good I live in Maryland so weather is always up and down hot and cold. The current shop I lease is $600 a month it's a little 12 ft garage door that I can only fit sedans inside and only 1 but it has a big 20ft by 30ft outdoor concrete slab that comes with the shop that is nice to work on during summer or good days during winter (still cold!) the indoor part of my shop is not insulated and only has electricity no water I fill up a 300 gallon water tank every week all utilities are included with the lease. Yesterday the land lord offered me bigger shop with a huge garage door I could park a firetruck in it if I wanted to as a bathroom running water electricity probably fit three trucks inside of it and work comfortably also has a bathroom I believe that it has heat it's 1200 a month utilities not included should I make the change or should I continue to stay where I'm at.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Upgrading Shop (should I ?)

I keep trying to upload photos I have on my phone of my shop off the AG app but it keeps saying failed to upload

Post Thanks / Like

how much do you bring in a month currently?
    how much will you bring in after the 1200 a month?
    can you live with that?

those are the 3 questions you need to answer.

Post Thanks / Like

How much do you currently make in profit every month?
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The new shop would obviously make it more efficient to work and therefore you could get more work done is less time not having to fill up tanks of water, not working is freezing temperatures and obviously having more room inside isn't a bad thing. But like the others said, if the extra $600 would make it hard to get by for now I say its not worth the stress. If its affordable I say go for it as it will allow growth for the business.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asap2stacks View Post
    I have been Detailing for about a year and half now opened my own shop got a llc things have been going pretty good I live in Maryland so weather is always up and down hot and cold. The current shop I lease is $600 a month it's a little 12 ft garage door that I can only fit sedans inside and only 1 but it has a big 20ft by 30ft outdoor concrete slab that comes with the shop that is nice to work on during summer or good days during winter (still cold!) the indoor part of my shop is not insulated and only has electricity no water I fill up a 300 gallon water tank every week all utilities are included with the lease. Yesterday the land lord offered me bigger shop with a huge garage door I could park a firetruck in it if I wanted to as a bathroom running water electricity probably fit three trucks inside of it and work comfortably also has a bathroom I believe that it has heat it's 1200 a month utilities not included should I make the change or should I continue to stay where I'm at.

lots of factors to consider.what's the traffic exposure like will it be enough to draw in new clients.only you know your numbers if it's to much of a risk to cover new rent then I would stay.600 extra a month is probably 800 factor in everything.Nobody can give you advice on the move.Double rent equals triple income numbers to survive the ups and downs.That. move may make sense if there is traffic flowing by everyday more work equals more labor cost all for what.you will probably be doing more work and after hiring more man power you would be taking home the same income but with bigger responsibility.

Post Thanks / Like

idk try to talk him down on rent, you gotta pay for water? that could get expensive

Post Thanks / Like

Sound like more than 3X the space for 2X the rent. Is the new space heated (I know you said heated but make sure)?
    If it is it seems like it would allow you to get more work accomplished with less difficulty in the colder months.
    Plus, more space is always nice. Have you considered having a sub renter? Like a tint shop?