autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How would you polish a gauge cluster?

Hey guys, I'm noticing people like to scratch the heck out of their instrument cluster somehow?? Is the only way to polish it by taking it out? Or just reaching through the steering wheel and putting in some elbow grease? Has anyone tried this? Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How would you polish a gauge cluster?

You can take it out but I just use a hand applicator and reach through. I start with PlastX and if that doesn't work, move on to polish.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had luck with PlastX in place. I wad up a lens cloth and stick it inside another lens cloth, so I have a little pea-shaped pad. Sort of like if you were to place a marble inside, except softer. I then put a drop of PlastX on and work it nearly through its cycle. It tends to dry and get tacky toward the end. At this point, rather than rubbing harder to remove the residue like on Headlights, I'll use an aerosol plastic cleaner and a super soft mf towel to finish the cleaning of the residue. It's tricky business, But can be effective. The plastic is very sensitive to even the most gentle touch.

If you are aiming for 100% correction, removal of the panel may be necessary. But badly damaged lenses can be greatly improved in place if you can be happy with almost-100%.

Post Thanks / Like

I had choked on my Starbucks and spit latte on my instrument panel. I thought I cleaned it all up, but I missed a drip and it actually etched the instrument plastic! PlastX wouldn't get it off. I actually had to use polish and an orange pad to get it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    I had choked on my Starbucks and spit latte on my instrument panel. I thought I cleaned it all up, but I missed a drip and it actually etched the instrument plastic! PlastX wouldn't get it off. I actually had to use polish and an orange pad to get it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    You must've been reading one of FUNX360 (Bob's) posts.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I just did this on my 02 f150. I had to pull it to repair a solder point to fix the digital odometer.

I took the lense off. Cleaned the cluster face and applied 303 to all the black surfaces. For the lense I layer the inner face on a plush mf. Then polished the outer with a DA with a 3" polish pad and light cut polish speed 3.5, followed up with a finish pad and same light cut polish speed 2. It came out looking brand new.

When wiping off residue use a high quality Mf and a gentle hand to avoid inducing new swirls.

Sent from my D6708 using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Detailing is a way of life, not a hobby!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Megs Plastix, Zaino Z-14 Plastic Magic Cleaner & Polish, DP Plex-All (or Plexus) are all products I have used to polish clear lenses on the dashboard.

If you're still not happy with the results, you may want to try Carpro Essence to see it fills them in. I imagine it would last for a really long time being inside the car. It is something that I have been thinking of trying, but I have only had exterior details recently.

Mike Phillips

Just to chime in...

The best remedy of course is to not put scratches into plastic in these areas in the first place. This means anytime you're cleaning or dusting these surfaces be sure to have a clean microfiber towel and inspect it with your sense of touch before wiping it over the gauges.

See this article,

The Robert DiTerlizzi Method

If you scratch gauge cluster plastic or if you buy a car and the other guy scratched the gauge plastic, then PlastX is a good product for this type of correction work. PlastX uses a unique abrasive technology so it is in fact a "polish".

You can apply it by hand with foam or microfiber applicator pads and by machine.

The most difficult thing about working on gauges is their location, so circling back to the first point, try not to put scratches into plastic in these areas in the first place.

10. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Carpro suede applicators cloths work pretty well on clusters.I don't get into polishing them,but cleaning them I blot with water then finish them off with a suede cloth.I give 2 or 3 away on a detail on a high end car for wiping nav screens .They work awesome dry on nav screens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast